Hybrids with Euro plums out there?

Hello all!

Many interspecific Prunus hybrids were developed, especially recent years. Most of them involve the Chinese/Japanese plum (salicina), but I’m more interested of those with the (so called) European plum (domestica). Googling was not of much help, so decided to ask here.

My question is: which hybrid varieties you know include Prunus domestica as one of the parents? I have only one such hybrid - with an apricot, so I’m especially curious if there are any hybrids with a peach or cherry, and others too?!

1 Like

Have you checked with Zaiger Genetics of Modesto, CA?

I only checked the patents - found many with salicina, nothing with domestica.

1 Like

to my knowledge there are no Euro hybrids prunus domestica

1 Like

It’s understandable such varieties to be fewer, domestica is a hexaploid after all. Crosses with it should be much more difficult.

The plum ‘Howard Miracle’ is believed to be a cross of a ‘Green Gage’ and a ‘Satsuma’.

1 Like

I thought it had to do with genetics…like its not possible for them to cross…

That is interesting, thanks. It’s an old variety as I see. By now it has to be known for sure whether it’s a real hybrid or salicina. DWN lists it as Japanese and says nothing about being a hybrid. To get an excellent fruit from a wide cross out of just one seed would be as likely as winning the lottery.

If not impossible for sure very difficult.

@ Vohd Thanks for the link. It seems to me an interesting experiment for 2017

I didn’t know that. No wonder it is literally the only “Japanese” plum that I like well enough fresh to mention it.

Hristo, please tell us more about the one you have.

It’s a pretty new release, so I have no first hand observations. I planted the tree a few weeks ago. What I have read:
A cross made in 1990. Parents are Stanley plum and Modesto apricot. As far as I understand it has noticeable flavors from both species, but overall taste is OK at best. But that has to be expected from a first generation interspecific hybrid out of ~10 seeds. It’s more interesting whether or not it can serve as a bridge for further breeding with apricots and Euro plums.

This has to be a genuine picture (the skin is furry):

1 Like

Seneca plum a cross made in 1937 between Italian prune and prinlew.

I am somewhat skeptical of any claims of a cross. I grew Howard Miracle and it has no Euro genes in it based on my observations. Sometimes plums or whatever seem to taste/look like a cross and they get that label even though it is unfounded. I have a Yakimene apricot which is touted as a 50-50 peach/apricot cross but its 100% apricot. Its really big and I think that caused the misnomer.

Here is an article on these new Euro plum / apricot crosses:

This one looks like it might be for real, they have scientific publications etc.

1 Like

Thank you, but all sources I saw say both parents are domestica and I’m asking about interspecific hybrids, as they are more interesting and rare.[quote=“scottfsmith, post:14, topic:5659”]

[/quote]
That is the variety I have. The article of course has some pretty funny mistakes and the image seems is of some pure Euro plum… journalists what more can I say.

1 Like

DNA test them all…that should tell us the truth on if anything is a cross or not.

That has been widely speculated, but the experts say that it is probably not a cross with a greengage since, genetically, it would be a miracle for the 2 to cross. Likely it was a Japanese green plum that Howard thought was a greengage. But from what I hear, it is a delicious plum.

Interesting…there seems to be a way to cross euro X asian plum, but what about euro/prune-plum X cold-hardy hybrid? It might be impossible… Still, I would love a cold-hardy plum with thinner/tastier skin, firmer flesh, perhaps less acidity as well…

1 Like

http://uncommonfruit.cias.wisc.edu/japanese-american-hybrid-plums/

Isn’t Toka one?