I am in LOVE with....Redlove..... ODYSSO

I’m talking about store bought so I would assume similar places. I have read honey crisp is super location prone. Cosmic Crisp I don’t think as much is known about it because it is limited to sale for one state so we cannot know what causes the differences. Pink Lady is believe is the patent name of Cripps Pink. Supposedly there is some supposed to be certain standards with it based on coloration. That is why they claim most people cannot grow a Pink Lady. Pink Lady apples: A guide to the Cripps Pink variety | Home for the Harvest

As I’ve often written, to my palate Honeycrips isn’t worth eating at under 13 brix.

1 Like

I agree with you, and also probably true for almost any apple for me. Under 13 its either sour, or just washed out.

@elivings1 Pink Lady is a trademark. Cripp’s Pink is not on patent.

You can legally buy a pink lady tree, harvest scions from it, graft them to new trees and sell them. You just can’t call the new trees “Pink Lady” without permission.

I was pointing at the fact there was a standard of what an apple being sold as a pink lady can be. With Fuji and Honeycrisp there is no standard.

They must not license nurseries to sell trees to consumers in Australia if they are able to control the growers.

You can buy a Pink Lady tree from retail nurseries here in the United States. I don’t see how they can prevent you from selling the fruit from such a tree as “Pink Lady”.

Hi all, judging by how popular the Pink Ladies are I have to wonder if they are the same apple as what’s sold here in Australia, funny enough when they first came out here they were really nice and very popular but somethings changed and now they taste bland and sour. Maybe they are under ripe or have been sitting in cold storage for months, (very common here), peaches and nectarines are like rocks and they rot from the inside before they ripen. We can buy Pink Lady trees but most new strains are only available to commercial growers. I have never seen Honey Crisp or Cosmic Crisp trees or fruit for sale.

1 Like

As mentioned above a Pink Lady is just a Cripps Pink with a trademark on it. Maybe the standards are on as high there? I can’t say. Some fruit goes past ripening here as well but not all of it. Cosmic Crisp is restricted to the state of Washington for the sale of trees so it would have to travel along way for Australia. They were a big thing in terms of hype a few years ago but hype has gone down for them. Honeycrisp was created by a university in Minnesota which is one of the coldest places in America. I doubt they would do well in Australia. The apples commercially grown are grown for storage purposes. In America every one of our apples sold in stores stores around 8 months at least generally. There is more prized antique apples out there that are not as commercially done but many like such as the Cox’s Orange Pippin. Supposedly the Cox’s Orange Pippin apple only stores for a month but the apples are seen as some of the best eating apples out there. I have never had it though so I can’t speak to it.

1 Like

You could be right that growers there rushing Pink Lady, a popular apple, to market too soon. So, they would be under ripe and tasted sour or bland.

Pink Lady is a very late apple where I am. I picked mine as late as possible. To be honest, mine never at its optimal ripeness as it gets too cold by then. Still, it is a good late apple.

4 Likes

You are in Maryland right? Your profile says New England but I think you said you were in Maryland in the past. I have a great aunt there and she will be talking about the flowering trees in March and I don’t hear too much about winter but I know on 11/21 it is typically snowing. Doubt that would happen in Australia but certainly not a season that is happening here most of the states. My season is from May to end of October so shorter by 3 months. We will see how ripened pink lady is here. It was already flowering when I got the tree last year but did not have any trees around out of dormancy to pollinate it.

I think you mixed up Scott and me. Scott is in MD, 7a . I am in MA, 6a.

Maybe I have a chance with it then. Just maybe. I bought the tree last year because I liked the apples but do worry about the season.

Is Calypso a fresh eating apple?

calypso is sweet+tart and I like it for fresh eating, but it can’t be eaten right off the tree. the breeder recommends 1-3 weeks in the fridge first

1 Like

The mountain rose is a red fleshed apple that many recommend eating if you want a red fleshed apple that is good for fresh eating. Everyone describes the taste as candy like such as fruit punch, cotton candy, lemonade etc.

I grafted Calypso as a novelty apple this year. Didn’t know much about it. Guess it’s just that- a novelty.

calypso is my wife’s favorite fresh apple and it made a really great apple pie last year. it’s also precocious and, so far, scab resistant which is helpful here (although very susceptible to powdery mildew)

1 Like

That’s a nicely grown pink lady. According to the wiki page “Rosy Glow and Lady in Red have been accepted by APAL and Pink Lady America into the Pink Lady business model, allowing fruit of the improved variety, which meets the Pink Lady quality criteria, to be sold as Pink Lady brand apples.”
My Cox’s Orange tree was temperamental, what it did produce was soft and floury (probably too warm where I was). But even the ones I’ve brought at markets have been sour and lacking any real taste, I can’t work out how they are supposed to be one of the best? I’ve now planted a Ribston Pippin (Cox’s parent).
“Kidd’s Orange Red”

3 Likes

If you don’t have Australia’s long growing season I suggest trying to order a tree from Adams County Nursery of their early strain Pink Lady (Barnsby CV). They may not sell individual trees of it, however and you are supposed to sign an agreement not to propagate it. I have apples from my tree that are still quite good in my fridge- they are the best storage apple I’ve ever grown, and that includes Fuji and Goldrush.

To me, Pink Lady is a world class, top 10 apple and part of that is its long storage capacity. It also has a unique and pleasing texture and the sugar-acid balance I love. The Barnsby strain is quite precocious as are all Pink Ladies and a pleasure to manage in many ways. It is easy to steer its shape, for one thing and is a vigorous grower for such a precocious variety.

3 Likes

I have Calypso. If you like tart apples, you probably like it. I think Rubaiyat tastes better and a lot redder.

If you like a really nice and balanced red fleshed apple, Pink Parfait is outstanding.

1 Like

I see Odysso has mutated into other red fleshed apples.

Odysso blooms popped open last night. It being 70 at 5AM.
As did
most ofther
apples not
previously in bloom.