I am in LOVE with....Redlove..... ODYSSO

OP didn’t ask a question or set parameters for the thread.

Other red-fleshed apples aren’t far afield from “I love this particular red fleshed apple I’m holding here”

The flowers on that cultivar are soooo beautiful. It would make such a beautiful front yard apple tree.

6 Likes

I got an Odysso from OGW this spring. It hasn’t come out of dormancy and it looks like the collars around the buds are browning. I think I’m about done with them.

I had an Odysso in the fridge for several months. It had gone soft and a bit dry. But the flavor was spectacular. And very sweet.
The leaves in spring and flowers are also very ornamental. I like its siblings era and calypso too. They didn’t appear as sweet but were quite flavorful still.

My Odysso is beautiful too but the growth is very small caliper and twiggy. I have it on three trees and they are all the same. It would have trouble holding even one apple. I have pruned it but it stays very small. Do others have this experience?

4 Likes

Yes, and the red fruits get stolen as if they are cherries! I’ve yet to eat a ripe one, despite having 4 trees that have bloomed from one to three seasons so far. (Instead of 8, I’m down to 2 fruits, and it’s a LONG time until September!)

2 Likes

My best example is not my 7 foot trees on M9 root…but the couple grafts on Frankentree. Limbs closer to regular size on the multi-graft tree.
But, correct, the limbs of Odysso are quite thin compared to many ‘normal’ apples.

Other red fleshed apple cultivars such as Red Devil, Bakran, Alatau have this same issue over thin limbs and scions.

1 Like

My Calypso seems to grow very well. 3rd year and I think I can safely let 3 or 4 apples develope.

4 Likes

Get a few red onion bags and hang them around in the trees with red fruit. It won’t stop all varmints, but at least some of them are deterred when they find out the tree has inedible red fruit. I’ve used this on cherry trees for the last 40 years to keep birds from eating the fruit.

4 Likes