I got my scion wood from USDA yesterday

Just got my order in…hope I’m not too late. Must not be, it accepted the request. Does anyone know what the measure “Soluble Solids” is actually measuring…is it brix level?
I ordered all Malus, nothing else. Here is what I requested. Any comments or suggestions?

Northern Spy Malus domestica 2 Scion GEN
PI 588973 Black Gilliflower Malus domestica 2 Scion GEN
PI 589117 Arkansas Black Malus domestica 2 Scion GEN
PI 589215 Crimson Gold Malus domestica 2 Scion GEN
PI 589618 Keo Malus hybr. 2 Scion GEN
PI 589687 Pixie Malus domestica 2 Scion GEN
PI 589965 Priscilla Malus domestica 2 Scion GEN
PI 590180 Blue Pearmain Malus domestica 2 Scion GEN
PI 199419 Lamb Abbey Pearmain-B Malus domestica 2 Scion GEN
PI 256108 Greenmeadows Cox’s Orange Pippin No.1163 Malus domestica 2 Scion GEN

1 Like

Jeff,
How does one know if their order has been accepted?I put in for some things at the Corvalis,Oregon branch and am not sure.
Here is a little something about soluble solids. Brady
Measurement of Soluble Solids Content
D. Garner, C.H. Crisosto, P.
Wiley, and G.M. Crisosto
I. Theory
A. Sugars are the major soluble solids in
fruit juice. Other soluble materials
include organic and amino acids, sol
uble pectins, etc. Soluble solids
concentration (SSC%,
o
Brix) can be determined in a small sample of fruit
juice using a hand held refractometer
. This instrument measures the
refractive index, which indi
cates how much a light b
eam is “bent” when it
passes through the fruit juice.

Brady, I’m assuming if it takes the order then they accepted it. I ordered last year and no issues. I did check the box to update me, also you can view progress of your order after logging in.

So then a measure of 18 in Soluble Solids does not necessarily mean a brix level of 18, but probably something close to that…right?

Right now,to me brix means soluble solids or sugar content.There is probably more to it though. Brady

OK. I was surprised to see a very old apple like Blue Permain with such a high soluble solids (18), hard and firm flesh and no fireblight recorded. Maybe it’s not as good as it sounds…I dunno.

I’ve had Blue Pearmain from Whole Foods before and it matches up to the description I’ve seen online of “meaty” and “filling”. It is firm, but not super crunchy. Thoreau wrote a bit about it, which was posted recently by Matt.

I’ve got a graft of it on my franken-apple tree, which I think is just about ready to fruit. From my initial sample, I think one branch of it will be plenty of me. Just in case you are expecting blue fruit, I should mention that it gets the name from just a bluish hint from the bloom.

I’ve written about Priscilla quite a few times- it is a nice late Aug or early September. A good bearer (it hasn’t skipped any years, even after being under-thinned). It isn’t great eating, but is pretty good. Also 4X disease resistance.

Of the ones new to me, Black Gilliflower (15.2% SS, “healthy, dense leaves; productive”, “popular in late 1800s because kept well in non refrigerated cellars”) and Pixie (14.6% SS, “crisp, fine-textured, fairly juicy with good aromatic flavor”) look most interesting.

I’m not sure that there is a 100% overlap in Soluble Solids and BRIX, but they are very close. I treat them as equivalent when looking at the stats.

Yeah…I was familiar with the bloom giving the name and also of Thoreau’s mention of it (though I hadn’t seen Matt’s post).
I look primarily for DR and firmness along with juciness, color and keeping ability and aromatics and not necessarily in any order.
Lamb Abbey is highly touted among the few I found that even knew of it. I got it because my daughter’s name is Abbey, so it just peaked my interest…kinda silly I know.

Something I’ve noticed… ARS seems to wildly inflate FB susceptibility imo.

I’m sure you’ve heard of Black Gilliflower by it’s common name “Sheep’s Nose”.

Bob, what is the highest brix apple you’ve seen at ARS? What has been the highest juice content apple you’ve seen there? I wish they had an advanced search function where you could single out particular traits for selection purposes.

Your wish is granted. In post 23 of this thread, I show you how, right under “One other trick”. For things which don’t categorize easily (like the example I showed with flesh color), it will list them in order.

This subject came up a while ago in GW, and I commented on it about half-way down in this thread (the nice grid formatting I made was stripped out during the Houzz conversion)

There are a bunch of super-high brix crabs, but for normal-sized apples, here are a few of the top ones (most in the 21-23 range):
Grosse Launette French Cider apple
Kokko
Pitmaston Pineapple X 692- French bred. In 3 different year’s notes it is called Astringent, sub-acid, and acid
Peau d’Ane French russeted apple
Hyslop Crab (large crab, small apple)
Pitmaston Pine Apple
Golden Russet
Ross Nonpareil

Of the above list, I have Pitmaston Pineappe, Peau d’Ane, Golden Russet, and Ross Nonpareil.

I’ve heard of it, but never sampled it. Sounds interesting.

I agree- most apples seem to be a 5/5, max rated. I’ve never had a FB strike (that I know of), so it hasn’t been a big concern to me yet.

I had some of those from Whole Foods one time and they were good, but not great. Sweet-tart, with decent brix and of small size. Better than Blue Pearmain, which had decent brix, but tasted like a mid/lower brix apple.

2 Likes

Similar to Goldrush would you say for sugar / acid balance? I’m thinking (perhaps wrongly) that it’s texture is on the order of Goldrush as well, or maybe Winesap (which really appeals to me)? The only thing I really like a lot better about the antiques is that seemingly a lot of them have that dense- hard flesh that I suppose was necessary (usually) for good keeping ability.

1 Like

It wasn’t bad in either area, but didn’t match up to Goldrush in texture or taste. But it was a grocery store apple, not one I grew and ripened myself, so it isn’t an even comparison.

It was a few years ago, so I’ve pulled up my notes from the time. I recorded this from an apple tasting I had with my parents on 10/12/2012:

Lamb Abbey Pearmain ($2.49/lb at Whole Foods, from an orchard in Vermont)- 15-16 brix in a very small apple. This one has been in my fridge for a couple weeks. When I first got them, they had good hardness. But, now that it has softened, it got bad scores from both my parents. My dad noted it had an interesting flavor, but was dry, which left it tied with Melrose for 2nd to last. It was also 2nd to last with my mom, for whom texture is vitally important. I liked them better a few weeks ago, but the bigger negative change in my opinion was the drop in acid. It used to have some kick, which is now mostly gone.

1 Like

Jeff,

If you want brix and juice, then you’ve got to get your hands on some Gravenstein apples.

They are good for only about 3 weeks (max) in August here, but during that window they are amazing.

By the way-- I had my heart set on growing Blue Pearmain, but there’s a cidermaker near Burkittsville who raises it. Sampling his BP, they are not very good and do not remotely resemble how beautiful they can be in the photos I’ve seen taken in New England. Perhaps they mature too quickly south of the Mason-Dixon, and this has a negative affect on the character of their development. The ones I’ve seen here were red over yellow (no blue blush at all) and ripe (overripe) Aug thru Oct. Waxy skin with pithy flesh here instead of the pleasing density reported by New Englanders. Maybe it doesn’t do well down here, or maybe I just haven’t caught a good one yet. I’ve sampled them over 2 years now and am worried the former is the case.

2 Likes

I’ve seen it claimed that Sheep’s Nose/ Black Gilliflower was Ben Franklin’s favorite apple, but have not seen any primary references to corroborate.

It may also be an ancestor to Hawkeye and Red Delicious if I am not mistaken.

Matt…I actually had Gravenstein selected and then removed it due to it’s “Heavy” FB rating by ARS. I kinda wish I hadn’t done that. Another thing, I am (hopefully, haven’t asked yet) going to get some wood from a very old tree near my home here. I haven’t really studied the apple, but I suspect Gravenstein is a real possibility. It will be interesting to see of the owner has any clue what it is. Maybe closer inspection will rule it out…I dunno.

Given what you and Bob say, I’d have probably been better served to have not chosen Blue Pearmain. I have noticed wide variations in appearances online and I suspect your theory is accurate.

I think one of the suspected parents of Hawkeye was Yellow Bellflower. It was found growing in a Yellow Bellflower row, that I’m nearly certain of. Having said that though, I just read a blog where this guy received watercolor paintings from 1820 for his birthday, and an apple labeled “Sheep’s Nose” was very clearly what is today identified as Yellow Bellflower. Both have characteristics of Red Delicious (Sheep’s Nose - elongated / Yellow Bellflower - prominent “bumps”). I suspect all are closely related or “cousins” of one another. Maybe Bullock is the common link as indicated in the painting.

http://emersonmerrick.blogspot.com/2009/10/jeffersons-apples.html

I wish instead I’d have chosen Vandevere. It sounds good and is the only good 1700’s Maryland apple that I’m aware of. I don’t know if I could change my request or not. I hate to be a pest on the governments dime.

2 Likes

I looked for that option on my sour cherry order (when Stan made some good suggestions) but didn’t see it. I decided to instead leave things as they are- no sense in bothering them enough to make them decide to not send me anything. :smile:

Don’t worry about it. They wouldn’t mind pestering you on your dime.

2 Likes

I pester them as little as possible. Lots and lots of people were pestering the Davis repository and look what happened - they restricted orders to researchers only and a great resource was lost. In general I would suggest to not place overly large orders and generally not order many things you can get from other sources. Yes they are our government, but they have fixed budgeted staff they can’t increase it to fill hobbyist orders.

7 Likes

Exactly my thinking Scott, however I’m not so sure the “hobbyists” on this forum contribute any less to society in terms of fruit growing than the so-called “researchers” who are also funded by we the taxpayers. I’ve been reading reports from universities etc for many years now,much of this info being decades old. I don’t see where they’ve contributed a lot in the way of new information given all the resources that have been directed their way. There are so many more players than the successful ones like Cornell, Berkley, Minnesota, PRI etc. Our very own University of Maryland has done little as far as I can see.
Again, I agree with you entirely, but when I really think about it, I’m not so sure free wood for the reporting hobbyist isn’t a good deal for everybody.
Scott, do you have any experience with Vandevere?

1 Like

I agree, we are making a very valuable contribution and maybe in a few years we will get some more respect. But the way the bureaucratic cookie crumbles we are dust specks in their mission statement so we are best effort only.

I have Vandevere and its just starting to fruit. I only got one apple this year and in my log I wrote it was dense and with an unusual fruity flavor. So, its one I am looking forward to this coming year! I’m not 100% certain I had the right variety as it was on a tree of backup grafts. My main graft of it did not fruit yet but should soon since it was added in 2012.

1 Like

Agreed. One way to potentially get a better response is to work through and organization. I think CRFG, NAFEX and HOS have better access acting as institutions in making requests of the repositories. There is also likely some reciprocity involved as members of these organizations have contributed to the collections.

2 Likes

I’m guessing you already knew it was a Maryland apple right? Do you know of any other MD apples that are supposed to be good? I searched it long ago and came across just a few and those apparently weren’t very good, though in one case, I believe their test plantings were well out of our climatic zones.
I just came across Vandevere the other night while reading. I don’t know why it hadn’t showed up in my previous searches. I think it’s believed to be a parent of Smokehouse.