I got my scion wood from USDA yesterday

I understand. Seems that sometimes the professional researchers question the value of the type of research conducted by many folks here. I have seen lots of information on this forum concerning performance of many variety that I have not seen elsewhere which has helped me a lot. Its just a matter of time until a member here breeds something that will get a lot of attention.

3 Likes

I put in a request last year, but missed the Dec deadline, though I did get a verification email. I’m just hoping it comes this year, though to be honest I don’t recall what I requested…

My fingers are crossed that I requested Nikita’s Gift persimmon. I’ve got a good rootstock vigorously sending up suckers to be grafted upon.

Scott

If you don’t get Nikita’s Gift from Davis Message me

You’re not going to get scion wood form davis… sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Is there a link that mentions this from UC Davis?

The thread about No More Scions from UC Davis discusses that.

Ok, thanks. I was just trying to see what other information there was about it. So sad…

Thank you, will do if I don’t see anything by Feb.

Thanks.

Scott

I received my scions from USDA today! All apples and sour cherries that I requested. The scions were long and very good looking. I am looking forward to graft them!

1 Like

Wow, that’s quick.
I wonder if they have lost my order. I ordered in September last year, received an acknowledgement but have not heard from them since then.

Which site did you order from? I think there are issues with the pear wood from Corvallis and Davis doesn’t seem to ship to individuals anymore. I requested from Geneva on Jan 3rd and according to tracking, it should get here tomorrow.

Interestingly, even though I supplied a Fedex account, they shipped it through UPS.

I ordered from both Geneva and Davis in two separate orders.
I still hope the Geneva site will send my order.

Maria…when did you place your order?

It is in my post somewhere above. Yes, it is about 28-27 days ago.

I placed an order w/ Geneva a while ago and didn’t hear boo back, unlike previous years. I hope they send me something.

Matt,

The only acknowledgement I got was the automatic one when I submitted the order. Scions arrived last week, overnighted.

Feeling a pang of guilt for the expense, I emailed Dawn Dellefave, to inquire about making a small donation, but haven’t gotten a response. She’s probably busy dealing with scion orders.

Thanks Jafar.

We had 34 inches of snow dumped on us last week. The region is a mess and still recovering. The mail in and out of Maryland has been at a standstill…

Dawn’s the best! I really like dealing with her.

1 Like

My request from Geneva came in today. Here’s a pic and the complete list. Let me know if you’d like to try anything that I got. They always send more than I’ll need. This is the first time I’ve gotten sour cherries from them, and it appears that they include a 3rd stick of each variety.

The wood looks great, but there is a bit of variability, probably based on how vigorous the source tree was (or demand for scions). Here are pics of both the largest and smallest. Coincidentally, both are apples from Kazakhstan (even though they are the only 2, among the 10 total varieties). The larger is about 5/16" near the large end and just over a foot long. The small one is around 2.5/16" and they included 2 extra sticks.

3 Likes

I did the same in past but they are unable to accept donations.