I got my scion wood from USDA yesterday

Agreed. One way to potentially get a better response is to work through and organization. I think CRFG, NAFEX and HOS have better access acting as institutions in making requests of the repositories. There is also likely some reciprocity involved as members of these organizations have contributed to the collections.

2 Likes

I’m guessing you already knew it was a Maryland apple right? Do you know of any other MD apples that are supposed to be good? I searched it long ago and came across just a few and those apparently weren’t very good, though in one case, I believe their test plantings were well out of our climatic zones.
I just came across Vandevere the other night while reading. I don’t know why it hadn’t showed up in my previous searches. I think it’s believed to be a parent of Smokehouse.

Any non-profit fruit group can put in one collective order to Davis per year. I don’t know if any are doing it this year; I am in NAFEX and don’t recall hearing anyone mention it.

@Appleseed70, I surely read all about Vandevere at some point but didn’t remember that fact. Good to grow it then! In my notes one reason why I am interested in it is Coxe thought it was a good cider apple. The Maryland fruit I would really like to grow is the Druid Hill peach. Druid Hill is not all that far from me and it would be fun to grow the truly local fruit. Unfortunately it seems to be extinct.

1 Like

Not sure about any variety breeding/introduction but how about Maryblyt? PW Steiner from U Maryland was regarded as one of the most knowledgeable people in the country on Fireblight. His computer model called Maryblyt is the standard for fireblight prediction in the east.

http://www.caf.wvu.edu/kearneysville/Maryblyt/

1 Like

I didn’t know that blue, interesting. I was really referring more to varietal introduction and breeding, since I would assume that would be the primary reasons for scion requests. They are more a medical institution, not much going on there in the way of agriculture it seems. They do some stuff, but it apparently isn’t much at all in the way of tree fruit.

I understand. Seems that sometimes the professional researchers question the value of the type of research conducted by many folks here. I have seen lots of information on this forum concerning performance of many variety that I have not seen elsewhere which has helped me a lot. Its just a matter of time until a member here breeds something that will get a lot of attention.

3 Likes

I put in a request last year, but missed the Dec deadline, though I did get a verification email. I’m just hoping it comes this year, though to be honest I don’t recall what I requested…

My fingers are crossed that I requested Nikita’s Gift persimmon. I’ve got a good rootstock vigorously sending up suckers to be grafted upon.

Scott

If you don’t get Nikita’s Gift from Davis Message me

You’re not going to get scion wood form davis… sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Is there a link that mentions this from UC Davis?

The thread about No More Scions from UC Davis discusses that.

Ok, thanks. I was just trying to see what other information there was about it. So sad…

Thank you, will do if I don’t see anything by Feb.

Thanks.

Scott

I received my scions from USDA today! All apples and sour cherries that I requested. The scions were long and very good looking. I am looking forward to graft them!

1 Like

Wow, that’s quick.
I wonder if they have lost my order. I ordered in September last year, received an acknowledgement but have not heard from them since then.

Which site did you order from? I think there are issues with the pear wood from Corvallis and Davis doesn’t seem to ship to individuals anymore. I requested from Geneva on Jan 3rd and according to tracking, it should get here tomorrow.

Interestingly, even though I supplied a Fedex account, they shipped it through UPS.

I ordered from both Geneva and Davis in two separate orders.
I still hope the Geneva site will send my order.

Maria…when did you place your order?

It is in my post somewhere above. Yes, it is about 28-27 days ago.

I placed an order w/ Geneva a while ago and didn’t hear boo back, unlike previous years. I hope they send me something.