I want scion woods of black diamond apple in India

I want scion woods of black diamond in India, kindly help

2 Likes

If there is a ‘black diamond’ apple in the USA I am unaware of it.
I assumed that was a ‘trademark’ name of a dark colored Red Delicious.
??

it’s found in Tibet… its not a red delicious apple. for more info kindly check this video.

5 Likes

The video does not convince me. Looks like a very dark skinned red delicious to me…I’ve seen Starkrimson almost that dark…then you add the high altitude…and maybe a little purple filtering to the camera … and wa-la…you have Black Diamond.

If you can prove I’m wrong, be my guest, I’d like to hear it.
I’m not afraid to be wrong…but prove it.

3 Likes

I suspect you are right, BB. The apple in question is actually a strain of Hua Niu (Chinese Red Delicious). They only get that color at high altitudes with lots of UV light and cold nights. You could try to see if you can get Hua Niu scion from China or NZ, but they won’t get that color without being able to replicate those specific conditions.

I will say that I’ve never seen anybody in the US offer it for sale. Other than a few sketchy Ebay listings for seeds via Australia, or some such. And no explanation of how these would be true from seed, when apples are not.

2 Likes

exactly… thanks for the info though…Are you into apple farming?

thanks for the reply…Well I don’t wana prove you wrong… just got this video on you tube and thought I should share it with you…I don’t have enough knowledge about this Apple variety.

2 Likes

Every now and then, people would bring up this Black Diamond apple thing.

Black Diamond Apples - #6 by tjasko.

1 Like

I am surprised people want to grow Red Delicious. Apple growers in WA state can’t get rid of trees fast enough.

2 Likes

Please can you say why?

The modern Red Delicious apples that are marketed in the US have a bland mealy flavor and texture and many better tasting super market apples have become available. It seems the modern red delicious were developed by selecting for color and little else.

3 Likes

Just trying to be useful…don’t want to diminish your enthusiasm for growing fruits. :memo:

Agreed on supermarket flavor being better with other apples. My family loves honey crisp apples.

1 Like

Some newer varieties like Cosmic Crisp have similar deep red color but much better flavor than RD. Most trees here have been top worked to CC.

1 Like

There’s a reason Red Delicious was #1 so long…it really was delicious. (When tree ripened and eaten fairly soon…like in a couple months.) And because it could be kept and put out on the grocery produce aisle 12 months of the year.

But, there are lots of variety in people’s taste buds…so it’s good to see brand new varieties…and also a resurgence of Antique Apples.

And most of all newly interested people who want to try growing some at home!

3 Likes

To give credit where it’s due, Red Delicious climbed to fame mostly for traveling well and looking pretty for a long time. It does those things well. Now that our ability to transport and store perishables like apples is much better, there isn’t any need to compromise on flavor, so it’s fallen out of favor.

OTOH, in my own personal opinion, the mass stampede for the few varieties that DO travel and store well caused the loss of lots of delicious apples. So I can absolutely sympathize with the notion of cultivating unusual varieties, for the sheer joy of it.

As to your question, dmehta410, I am probably better described as a geneticist who has a hobby orchard. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Modern red delicious is anything but. Mealy and flavorless

1 Like

According to google there is 7500 apple varieties in the world right now. You could try one new apple a day and it would take years to get through all the apples. In fact only something like 2500 apples are grown in the united states so you would have to try all the apples in the world. I am sure if you tried every apple out there everyone could find a apple they like.

Thanks for this valuable info… participate it :+1:

1 Like

can we connect on whatsapp or Facebook as well?