I'm really impressed with the expertise on our forum

I usually am not too impressed with the quality of information in forums like this. But I have to say 2023 has left me amazed by all the brilliant minds that contribute here. Not just on fruits and fruit growing but things like solar, auto, and farm equipment.

When we get several really well-informed minds sharing about things like persimmons it really brings out the best in everyone.

Thank you to one and all. Keep up the good work in 2024…!!

76 Likes

We certainly are blessed with many fine orchard growers. I want to buy/trade with many of them. But where to start??? I like the many discussions of fruit I have no experience with.

11 Likes

We have a trading section. List what you want and what you have. There’s a good chance you can find something you want that way.

9 Likes

I agree have been browsing for a while and besides knowledgeable cool people the function and design of this site is very smooth and pleasant to get around.

14 Likes

Absolutely.

Yes, thank you to every single member here. :heart:

22 Likes

I 100% agree on both points — knowledgeable people and excellent design of this site software.

15 Likes

Agree completely. Wish I would have found this forum sooner!

8 Likes

Yeah, this is the best forum in function that I’ve used, on top of the fellowship, sharing, and knowledge.

The fact that its completely without ads or any commercial motivations gives it an enormous leg up. Like the full opposite of what happened to Gardenweb, from where a number of the early contributors came.

23 Likes

Houzz figured out how to monetize their space…so they make money, but I’m not sure they really serve that much of any other useful function. Like Google “Ad words” they rake in money.

4 Likes

I used to visit gardenweb all the time. After it got taken over by houzz, maybe a few times each year.
Also the crowd that stayed back isnt as good as this one here.

9 Likes

I just about forgot about GardenWeb, while it used to be my go to. This site is just far superior and I don’t feel the need to look anywhere else for a user-contributed source.

9 Likes

The unsolved mystery to me is the few who remained with GardenWeb when the exodus began after Scott built this. I know at least one frequent contributor there who was asked to join us but he chose to stay there. For what? Maybe he enjoys the non-stop advertising.

10 Likes

I think I know who you’re talking about. Did beautiful grafts, always had worthwhile contributions. I suggested to him that he join us but he wasn’t interested.

8 Likes

He has a lot of knowledge and experiences growing fruits in the much colder climate.

5 Likes

I’m also really impressed with how many people step up to answer questions, often newbie questions. Doing that is mostly just effort out of a kind heart.

Back on the gardenweb it seemed at times like only one or two people would step up to give an answer. Everyone deserves an answer. Here they get it in most cases and without waiting days.

12 Likes

Spike’s forums >> iVillage >> GardenWeb >> Houzz
(1990s – to date)

3 Likes

Well it’s pretty obvious why. The mosquitos the size of hummingbirds in that part of Canada must have gotten into his ear and sucked out a large quantity of grey matter. Ha ha, just kidding you crazy Albertans, put away those pitchforks eh! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

We - meaning board contributors - represent a very large slice of skills across a broad range of topics. Using myself as an example, I am a beekeeper, gardener, nut grower, fruit grower, grape grower, retired telecommunications engineer, reasonably skillful with Excel, woodworker, metal worker (and welder), mechanic (grew up in a garage), plus a few other areas where I have hands on knowledge and/or expertise.

11 Likes

Can’t agree more. This forum is also supportive and sharing than selling stuff at high profit margins.
Thank you all for sharing the knowledge, I am certainly learning a lot about new fruits and vegetables.

9 Likes

I recommend this website to every grower I run across. I list in on my website. I mention it to my neighbors. I’m not a big tik tok, Facebook, or other social media fan. Perhaps it’s my age, or what I perceive to be a slow decline in my Internet interest and skills. But I try to drop in on growing fruit most days. More like every day, in fact. A big shout out to @scottfsmith, growing fruit, and all members!

17 Likes