Improved Kieffer pear

Need to check on improved kieffer they are running late this year. These are what i consider the potato of pears. They will absolutely feed you but they are not the high quality pear everyone is used to. They are intended to be used for canning and they are one of the best for that.

2 Likes

Improved kieffer are getting some insect damage as expected like most pears this year. Today is September 25th.

6 Likes

I used my Kieffer pears to make pear butter.

2 Likes

A very hardy pear that sets very heavy crops. Keep in mind this is a canning pear. If your looking for a fresh eating pear consider harrow sweet, warren, potomac etc. but canning pears are literally for canning. We eat a few fresh every year and i enjoy them when i do.

2 Likes

https://www.decodan.com/attachments

1 Like

My grandmother and I made “apple” pie from fresh-picked 'Kieffer"pears in the 1970’s, she said she learned that during the depression. Most people didn’t know the difference. :grin:
An older lady gave me a jar of “pear honey” from ‘Kieffer’ pears I brought to her by the 5 gallon bucketfuls. Better than anything store bought!

4 Likes

I used my Kieffer pears to make pear butter. They were great for that use. I will have to look up to see if I can find a “pear honey” recipe. That name " pear honey" sounds good.

2 Likes

I made pear butter as well and added some ginger and it’s divine

3 Likes

My wife makes pear preserves from kieffer pears… oh man … it is soooooo good.

Usually when a kieffer starts dropping some fruit… we pick a 5 gal bucket or two… cover the top and sit them in a cool dark location (basement)… and check them every few days until they yellow up some and just start to soften a bit.

Ideal for processing into pear preserves at that point… or for putting in a bowl on the counter for eating.

If you let them get too soft… you will have to peal manually. We use a (apple pealer corer slicer) device to process ours… works great for preserves.

3 Likes

Heavy crop set this year!

3 Likes