Insect and Disease Identification Thread

I found these two flies/bees? struggling in the water. would anyone tell me they are good guy or bad guy. thanks

any ideas? Little fruits also have black spots on them. I dont think ita fire blight but I just got this new house. This is on a granny Smith tree.

IL847: Both insects have heads typical of flies. Otherwise, details are too distorted for exact IDs.
They do not appear to be fruit flies or saw flies.

1 Like

I think that the lower specimen resembles a a deer fly. Deer fly are biting pests.

1 Like

It’s not fireblight. Fireblight is very distinctive. The spots don’t have the appearance of cedar apple rust either. It maybe scab or a form of leaf blotch.

Could you take some more pictures in better lighting conditions? What hardiness zone and state are you located in?

@mroot

@Redtnsv has another thread about this Purchased new house and apple tree looks bad - #10 by poncirusguy.

I guessed it is alternaria leaf blotch and provided him with a link.

It was a good idea that he created a new thread for the problem his tree has. I’d like to know for sure if it is that leaf blotch disease.

1 Like

@mamuang Thanks for the info. I will take a look at that thread.

@LarryGene could you tell me this fly is a good or bad guy? I tried to id it before but didn’t get an answer.
I see a lot of them on the leafs and near plants. I am always wondering what it does, should I spray it. Thanks

Could be a fruit fly or one of the picture-wing flies, I will take a closer look later.
Wing pattern looks different than your swimming fly, further above in this thread.

1 Like

It looks like a Picture Winged Fly. They don’t harm your crops.

1 Like

Yes, it is likely one of the picture-wings; Delphinia picta is one common and wide-ranging species.

@YumYumTrees @LarryGene thank you both for id this insect and put my mind in rest. I have seen them cruising on plants but don’t know if I need to do anything to get rid of them. It looks like them just eat decayed materials as food. I am no longer worry about this fly now.

Peach borer questions. I thought i got them all but one if my trees keeps producing new goo. When i went to pick off a bunch it is absolutely crawling with what look like baby millipedes. Do i perhaps have more than one problem? I have a wonderfully mature peach tree that is heavily damaged by borers, is there anything that can be fed to or injected in the tree to kill whats in it? Probing with a wire has only produced 5 or 6 grubs. I have sprayed the trunk with dormant oil and applied beneficial nematodes to the ground. Are these other little crawlies hurting yhe tree or just eating frass?

Those do not look like borer grubs but rather some form of centipede/millipede. I would clean out all the gum and try to get it down to good wood with a knife and then maybe hit some 50/50 diluted neem on the trunk.

Millipedes have two pairs of legs per body segment; centipedes have one pair of legs per body segment.

Viewing the Codude image full-size looks like there are two pairs per segment.

The way I read it, he has borers and millipedes. He knows the borers are a problem, but was wanting to know if the millipedes are also a problem for the tree or are they just feeding on the frass and ooze resulting from the borers. I don’t have an answer for him, but it seems from the responses that people thought he was referring to the millipedes as the grubs when he was actually referring to two different creatures.

3 Likes

Ahh yeah i meant to add on i think they are just scavenging and not the issue. I had originally wrote millipede than looked at the head and decided maybe its a centipede? @Codude just clean up the wounds and get to the source of the issue

Critter

I was picking loganberries yesterday evening and noticed this critter…

Only saw this one and he did not seem to be doing much harm so I let him be.

Anyone know what that is ?

TNHunter

1 Like

Probably this:

(white-marked tussock moth)

1 Like

A magnificent caterpillar for such a nondescript moth.