Insect and Disease Identification Thread

Look up “apple mosaic virus” and compare the pics.

2 Likes

This just appeared on my multi grafted Dave Wilson Fruit salad. I believe it is only affecting the peach graft. Please tell me how to eradicate. I took off every leaf affected. Some entire branches with fruit. Thank you in advance.

Thank you! I got the tanglewood! Found same pest on another cherry. The any relationship is so interesting!

1 Like

The ant relationship is very cool, but one cherry tree has 100s going up to visit these nymphs. I have read that brushing Tanglebrush (goopy glue) on to the trunk is a advised you get rid of ants and the nymphs dry up. Have you had experience with this?

1 Like

Its ‘Tanglefoot’ not Tanglebush. Buy the right product, those look like either stinkbug or curculio nymphs. both bad news.

2 Likes

Do not apply TangleFoot directly on the bark of your young tree. It could strangle young trees.

Wrap the trunk tightly with plastic band about 8” wide (cut up plastic grocery bag is fine) and smear TangleFoot on that plastic barrier.

Take it off at the end of the season.

1 Like

Looks like Peach Leaf Curl to me. Need to spray when tree is dormant in spring and or fall (before buds begin to swell) with an appropriate fungicide like copper (preferably with a sticker). Not much you can do if you missed the spray window. You can pick off affected leaves and dispose of them, but new leaves will grow regardless and the new leaves will be fine. I wouldn’t cut off any branches unless they are actually dead.

1 Like

Leaf curl, spots, and thin new growth on my “Royal” medlar in central Texas, zone 8b. This is its second year in the ground and already had this happen last year, though it leafed out and flowered just fine this March. I first started noticing this while we were still in a dry spell with temps reaching the low 90’s. This new growth started pushing out while in an abnormally rainy late spring.

This is my first request for help on identifying issues. I have four separate issues. Here’s the first.

I have two pear trees; a Barlett and a Bosc. Both of them have recently developed orange spots on their leaves. I planted these two trees last summer. I got them both from the same craigslist ad. Other than the spots, they appear to be healthy.

What is this?

Thanks!

1 Like

Look like pear rust.

And so begins my journey … my initial reading indicated that pear rust ends up with bumps … if this stays flat does that rule out pear rust?

Every spring my mints have this insect and damage on the tips/ young leaves. This year, my mints are OK so far , but this bug moves to my oregano tips. I know the red bug did it but don’t know what is its name and how to get rid of it. Please identify it and provide solutions. Thanks

@IL847
Four lined plant bug damage.
Best to try to out live it . :grinning:

1 Like

Giant Swallowtails like the Citrus/rue family. It might be lost, but it could be high magnification on a very young caterpillar of another swallowtail (one of the Tiger types, which tend to be polyphagous but many will eat apple foliage). Those look like tiny snakes when older (& if you prod it, it is likely to stick out a smelly osmeterium than looks like a forked tongue), but most swallowtails seem to go through a bird poop stage when young.

I can out live it. But it is a lose battle. I can’t grow as fast as it does and reproduce as often as it does😓

1 Like

I agree with the 4-lined plant bug ID. Not sure what the swallowtail caterpillar ID is in reference to.

2 Likes

Thanks @Hillbillyhort @LarryGene for the id. Isn’t it same as the cucumber beatle?

I’ve got 2 problems. One on a blueberry, and the second on a blackberry. I guess the first is drought? I was never all that good about watering enough once it gets hot and I only recently got an automated watering system in place. The second I guess is some kind of fungus. A 2 part spray of vinegar and hydrogen peroxide to create peracetic acid seems to have stopped the spread, but I could be fooling myself.

Do I have these right?

Good question. Maybe, @clarkinks will know what it is. Clark grows a lot of pears.

Thanks @mamuang. In the next day or two I’m probably going to remove the affected leaves, provided there will be enough leaves left on the tree … I think there will be. They are small trees so it won’t take much time. I’ll put the leaves into a paper bag for eventual burning.

2 Likes