Insect and Disease Identification Thread

Tim Burton touched them.

1 Like

Colleen7: Not beetles, but nymphs of a plant bug in the order Hemiptera. These could be stinkbugs of some kind, I would have to see them at a later stage to be sure.

That many plant bugs, by any name, are a pest.

Note that adult beetles come in only one size per species; your picture shows bug nymphs of two different sizes in close contact. Bug nymphs may go through 3 or 4 size stages before adulthood.

2 Likes

Definitely looks like it. :rofl: :joy:

Looks like scab, although a particularly nasty case. But it would be odd to have scab on just a few apples on a tree, and no effect on the rest of the crop.

1 Like

They’re getting a bubble bath.Isn’t that nice.

3 Likes

TY. I appreciate the information. I had this on one tree in particular, just one year. It never hit the rest of my trees. Also it was only on some of the apples. Perhaps the spray did not get on those apples.

I’m having some trouble with my citrus (Meyers Lemons and a Key Lime) trees which are living in pots in the greenhouse. The symptoms are yellowing of the leaves, initially between the veins which remain green, and eventually over the entire leaf. At first I thought this was just a reaction to my cooler winter temps in the GH, but it is persisting even into the spring where GH temps are quite warm during the days. The problem seems to happen on older leaves, with new growth looking OK; although as they age even newer leaves can show the symptoms too.

I don’t think this is due to any insects (at least not above ground), as I have been keeping an eye out for them and spraying as needed. I have thought this might be soil moisture related, and have tried reducing and increasing the watering, but neither seemed to make a diff.

Here are a few pics of the problem leaves in various stages. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I’m noticing this perfect hole on several plum and peach leaves throughout the yard. Any ideas as to the cause?

@YumYumTrees
May be “ shot hole fungus “

1 Like

That looks like potassium deficiency.

1 Like

Thanks nil. Looked at some online pics and it does indeed look a lot like K deficiency. Had not really through of that, since I do use regular fert applications which include K. I will try adding some more K both in the soil. as well as some foliar.

Assuming this is shot hole fungus, should I spray the trees with something now?

I will be removing all impacted leaves (currently, there are not many )

1 Like

Are you sure Citrus leaves get ‘shot hole’? Citrus leaves are like leather.

@mrsg47 , the shot hole looking leafs are on plum.
@YumYumTrees , will need to ask others about spraying .

Those are black cherry aphids. A super common cherry pest.

I control them by putting tanglefoot wraps around the trunks. I personally just paint the tanglefoot on the trunk but it can damage the bark and the safer method is to first put down masking tape or some such and then paint the tape with tanglefoot. Just make sure the ants can’t get under the tape.

Once the ants are gone these guys dry up. Meanwhile a soap spray will set back the existing population.

1 Like

Recently I had to stare at two batches of babies for awhile… I finally figured out one was ladybugs and the other was stinkbugs. The baby stinkbugs can look like ladybugs so it is good to know how to tell them apart. Stink bugs:

Lady bugs (I think these may lack the orange stripes because they are just hatched, but they could also be one of the black shelled varieties):

3 Likes

Does that include resistant varieties?

1 Like

@MDL17576
No ledbetter as an example is reportedly immune

1 Like

There may be sufficient potassium in the soil but your pH is off, which will inhibit uptake of K. If you’ve been fertilizing with a balanced mix you likely have sufficient K and need to research what may be inhibiting uptake. Over application of K will create it’s own problems.

My Fuji apple espalier has growth in only a particular area (a few branches off the lowest lateral) with pale yellow spots.

I don’t notice anything looking to me like fungus spores on the upper or underside of the leaves but you can see the spotty patterns on both sides.

Anyone have an idea what this could be?