Insect and Disease Identification Thread

Thank you @LarryGene. I appreciate the clarification!

Does anybody know what kind of bug this is?

Leaf hoppers?

Just one leaf on my Keiffer pear, the rest are healthy. While I love the tie dye look, it is unsettling on my trees. Any thoughts?

Susu: One of the Flatid Planthoppers, perhaps this one:

(planthoppers and leafhoppers are in different Superfamilies of insects)

2 Likes

Any idea what this bug is? Losts of them on my raspberries and currants no visible damage so farā€¦

The shape of the body looks like a young stink bug. But thr color is not. The young/ immature stink bug in my yard has dark grey/black color with white band

1 Like

Had lots of green stink bugs around earlier this year so that makes sense

Yes, one of the stinkbug nymphs. Generally a pest.
Since they are not yet capable of flight, try tapping them off the plants into a container of soapy water; this is the fastest way to trap and kill.

2 Likes

@LarryGene at el,
What is this insect? It is pretty big compare to other wasps and bees I have seen. Is it a friend or foe?

Found it out. Great Golden Digger wasp, nice name. Benign and gentle so I let it go.

2 Likes

Can anyone please tell me who is this? On a apple tree

Looking for some help in my small orchard. I planted a few trees in the Fall of 2015, Spring of 2016 and Spring of 2017. So, none of the trees are very old. Iā€™ve been keeping a photo album of all the issues Iā€™ve been seeing so please see the link for photos.

I think I have several things going against me and Iā€™m not sure where to start or what to do. I was in touch with my local university extension but the guy, with whom I was communicating, seems to have dropped off the face of the planet.

Things I think/know I have:

• I think I have some of the same ailments as what @PA_Fruit_Grower photographed. I canā€™t tell if thatā€™s a calcium deficiency or something else.
  • I know I have Cedar Apple Rust (CAR) but I know CAR doesnā€™t typically hurt the trees too bad.
  • I may also have Frogeye leaf spot.
  • I see damage from Japanese beetles.

Does anyone else see anything Iā€™m missing or failed to mention?

The sprays Iā€™m using (listed below) donā€™t seem to do a lot to help. Am I using the wrong product(s)? Is there something better/stronger?

Sprays Iā€™m using:

• Agri-Fos (systemic fungicide applied every 8-12 weeks)
  • Bonide Fruit Tree Spray (foliar spray applied every week or so - weather permitting)
  • Monterey Fruit Tree & Vegetable Systemic Soil Drench (systemic insecticide applied annually)

I use Starkā€™s Tre-Pep a couple times in the spring and early summer to help with root development. I dropped about 10-20 pounds of mulched manure around the drip-line of the trees a few months ago. I typically spread some high-calcium lime around the drip-line of the trees a couple times a year - especially when I know thereā€™s a good, soaking rain coming.

Iā€™m trying to get a handle on these issues but, as you can see from those photos, Iā€™m failing. I visit local orchards and see big, healthy leaves and then I come home to see my trees and cringe. My great-grandfather grew apples. My grandfather grew apples. My father grows apples elsewhere in the state. What am I missing or doing wrong??

Hi there,
My advice is for you to create a new thread about your apple issues. Title it something like ā€œSeveral Apple Problems, Help, pleaseā€, or something like that.

A new thread will attract those with apple experience. There are a lot of them in this forum. You are likely to get more answers with a new thread than posting here IMHO.

Understood and thanks for the tip. New thread is here.

RichardRoundtree:

One of the Long-Horned Beetles. Tragidion coquus.

https://bugguide.net/node/view/29442

1 Like

Good or bad bug in the garden???
Found it on a potato plant.

Looks like a Blister Beetle,possibly Epicauta floridensis or Epicauta fabricii.The adults eat flowers and leaves.bb

1 Like

I usually get the striped blister beetles, not these solid colored ones. Shoulda squished em when i had the chance. Thanks @Bradybb.

Of the two proposed by Bradybb, E. fabricii is the more likely one, occuring in Kansas.

https://bugguide.net/node/view/245350
^ scroll down to food; includes potato