Insect and Disease Identification Thread

Thank you @mamuang. The information at that link is really helpful. I am really bad at insect damage and disease identification, and NH Ext had a lot of information all in one spot, which is very helpful. From the looks of my only two apples, I can probably say with some certainty that I will have significant insect pressure in my orchard! :confused:

1 Like

i recently grabbed some very old cedar fencing to use as an accent wall and am going to debug with borax in a sprayer. I noticed this little insect in abundance, anyone have a guess?20201110_105314

This is a fly and not a moth.

I have a couple different questions.

First, some of my dormant apple trees have this grayish film on some stems. It wipes right off. I started wondering what it is and if it is problematic in any way. I can’t find similar pictures when i do a search. Any ideas?

Next… Some of my plum trees have leaves that appear to be folded and stuck to the stems. I noticed this all winter but kept forgetting to ask about it. I don’t find what insect does this but probably because I am not using the correct search words.

The apple is normal (some varieties are fuzzy on young growth) donelt know about your plum

1 Like

Thanks @Carlin. That’s what I thought initially, but then started to wonder about it since not all of my apples have that. I didn’t want to be overlooking a potential problem.

I don’t believe either to be a problem. To me the plum leaves just look like ones that didn’t fall off in the fall and have shriveled up.

1 Like

Thanks speedster, that’s what I thought initially, but they are actually very sticky and you have to peel them off. This is unlike a dried leaf that would just break of easily, so I suspected a nasty bug of some sort.

These look like Aphids,so don’t an need ID for them,that were on a Citrus.My question is,since I haven’t studied their life cycle.Do they go through a shedding of an exoskeleton,as what it appears to be in the photo?

Yes, they molt.

2 Likes

3 or 4 moultings per aphid.

1 Like

Found this insect last fall on my young golden russet apple tree. At the time I assumed it was some sort of wasp, but now I am thinking it was actually a moth. Hopefully it isn’t some sort of borer? I have an old apricot tree and plum tree both with peach tree borer symptoms.

2 Likes

Yes,a Hornet moth or Hornet clearwing.I have never met one,but probably might think about leaving the thing alone,if that happened.Which is what the disguise is designed to do,as defense.

1 Like

It is a sesiid, or clearwing, moth.
The moth commonly known as a hornet clearwing is only in New England.
There are several moth species very similar to the ncguire moth that are more local to New Mexico, this one for example:

(there were several other similar moths for NM also)
These various species all tend to specialize on what they bore into, you may have to check with a local extension agency to see if they are familiar with your particular moth.

2 Likes

Cereal leaf beetle?

1 Like

By George,I think he’s got it!
I was was going to answer,Greater African Rope Eater,but they probably don’t exist.

3 Likes

Not sure if this pale spot on my apricot is a problem or not, but it’s noticeable from across the yard. It’s not even all the way around. I do suspect it might be related to what’s fairly obviously insect damage on one of the branches.

I haven’t scratched the bark yet to see what it looks like underneath. It’s also about where I’m planning to make a heading cut, so it might go away either way?

It looks like lack of uv and you had a band of tape or tree wrap on it

3 Likes

Aha! I did just take the stake and tie off. That would explain why I hadn’t noticed it before. Thanks!

2 Likes

Branch damage likely leaf or bark miner.