Insect and Disease Identification Thread

Maybe this?

1 Like

That’s it makes sense it was on milkweed that I planted, cool thanks

Saw this one on my plum leaf. It looks like a caterpillar. But what kind? I don’t see hairy caterpillars around here a lot. This year, something is different. I got goosebumps when I saw this one.
mmexport1686845605436_edit_110410280043048

IL847: compare to white-marked tussock moth.

BluegrassEats: Swincher is correct. Some of these beetles have black patches that are fused into one large area, like yours. Not closely related to Lady Beetles.

Larry, it makes me nervous, all the body hair ,even just looking at the picture.

@sockworth We don’t really know. One guess is that it was too cold for the blossoms, for too long, during one of the late cold snaps we had here. There were almost no peaches. The nectarines fared better - probably because they are cold hardy varieties. Mericrest and Harko. But, still not as many as the previous year.
This has been the coolest spring we can remember. It still hasn’t really warmed up, like it ‘usually’ does, by now. The vegetables are loving it, though! Warm enough to grow. Not steamy enough for them to ‘faint’!

1 Like

IL847: Your instinct is good: Tussock moth caterpillars are best handled while wearing gloves. Contact with the bristles can be irritating.

1 Like

Cute little beetle on an outdoor avocado tree that’s next to a large douglas fir. Apart from the unusual coloration, I’d say this looks like a lady beetle:

Google Lens says it’s Mulsantina picta, the painted lady beetle, which looks pretty close to me. A friend!

3 Likes

Always the pesky cold snaps. It has been pretty chill start of meteorological summer in VA. I don’t mind it too much.

1 Like

Anyone recognize this egg or metamorphic sac on a feijoa leaf? I put it in a jar to see what it’ll become.

1 Like

Maybe a spider egg

2 Likes

For a second I thought there was a hummingbird trapped in the greenhouse when I caught this moth flying from the corner of my eye. It has a much lighter color on the lower parts of the wings in flight.

Noctuid moth, possibly Noctua pronuba. Definitely a pest moth, larva tend to feed at night.

If Noctua, in better light, you should see an orange flash from the hindwings.

I have had many Noctua comes (comes is the species) here over the past dozen years.

See if you can refrigerate one of those and examine the hindwings.

4 Likes

What is the black stuff on the leaf and the brown spots?

Photo #1, 2

What would cause this pattern on these leaves? Looks like some sort of worm.
Photo #3

Apple tree leaf. What are the yellow spots?
Pic #4

Pear tree leaves. What are the black spots?
Pic#5

Hi Mike,
It looks like a number of things are attacking the trees.
#1 & 2 could be some kind of blotch(sooty) and frogeye leaf spot.
#3 are leaf miners.
#4 looks like rust.
#5 is some kind of leaf spot disease,maybe fabraea.
Here is information about some of them.

4 Likes

If that is a Columbine leaf, then it is damage from the Columbine Leafminer (Phytomyza aquilegivora). They are a type of native fly larvae that feed only on Columbine leaves. They usually have little if any effect on the health of the plant, so it’s best to either ignore them or pick off the damaged leaves once you start to see the white spots or lines forming where the larvae are tunneling. Our native Wild Columbine (Aquilegia canadensis) is less affected by them than the hybrids and more common ornamental types that are typically planted.

2 Likes

Thank you for the informational link.

2 Likes