Interstem for putting peaches on J plums

I want to graft peaches to prunis cerasifera. It grows well in my shallow clay and doesn’t get bores like peaches do. I have grafted directly to it and the grafts fail by the second year. I’m thinking maybe a peachcot or maybe aprim for an interstem. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Have you checked this in Reference section?

I didn’t find what I needed. Maybe another way to ask; Has anyone made a successful peach/aprim or a peach/plumcot graft? This would be the interstem I’m looking for.

You might review this paper to see what of the examined material you may have available.

Personally, I would give Lovell and Krymsk 86 a try. Citation is also compatible with many plumcots.

Are we really talking about prunus cerasifera? Thats myrobalane and should be directly compatible with peaches. If some varieties don’t work, Red Haven can be used as an interstem.

Dax wrote in another thread Pluots should be a good interstem for grafting the whole group of apricot, E. Plum, peaches to prunus salicina (J. Plum) or maybe it was vica versa. But the point is, Pluots can be used as an interstem. Experimenting with Pluots as an interstem is still on my to do list.

The tendency in compatibility discussions seems to be making blanket statements such as “peach is compatible on European plum” or whatever. When I was looking up information on Adara I came across an article that illustrates how specific compatibilities are, and how a blanket statement might not be accurate. I have seen this to a degree in my own experiments, although I don’t have high numbers of each sample so am somewhat jumping to conclusions.https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/3a66/a80eb1dc006e97422efb98ba185b585bb390.pdf

1 Like

Thats true. But since he is not asking for a specific rootstock the answer cannot be that specific. Every seedling of myro will have its own issues. Many peach varieties are compatible with myrobalane rootstock. And for the varieties that don’t work, Red Haven usually is a good interstem. Red Haven has very little compatibillity issues.

2 Likes

Thanks for your interest and comments. Just so you are clear I’m not looking for a rootstock. I have that and am calling it prunus cerasifera. It was a hand me down ornamental I have had for 30 years and matched the description for prunus cerasifera. It’s easy to propagate so I use it. I thought Myrobalan 29C is a seedling that came from prunus cerasifera and was slightly different.
Anyway be it prunus cerasifera or Myrobalan I have it available and want to use it. It grows very well for me. It has worked well for apricots, E and J plums, as well as interspecifics except for a nectopeachcot. Maybe I had some bad scion or unlucky grafts. Since I am/was under the impression it won’t work on peaches I was looking for an interstem. I current have a small prunus C or M tree with about five branches in the right places I want to work over to a peach. Hence the reason I’m looking for an interstem. Maybe I don’t need one. I think I will graft one branch directly to peach and the others sue different interspecifics as an interstem.

I think respondents understood that and were suggesting using a section of the rootstock variety as an interstem.

Thats exactly the same.
I was wondering because in the title you are asking for an interstem to put peaches on J. Plum, which is prunus salicina.

As Palmer pointed out not every myro will have the same compatabilities with peach varieties.

If different varieties of peach did not work on your tree (for me everything I graft to is my rootstock in that regard) you could try the peach variety Red Haven as an interstem or as written before try a Pluot as an interstem. Red Haven is a peach with good compatability to plum rootstocks in general. If it works for your tree I do not know.

Good luck and please report your experiences with different interstems.

I will sure keep you all posted. For what it’s worth squirrels planted a bunch of J plums and I tried to use the seedlings for peach and I had 100% failure. That’s what sent me down this path. I was thinking the cerasifera and Myrobalan were J plums. I should have known better but I use it all the time as rootstock for J plums and it grows fast like J plum. I bet I won’t have the trouble I was expecting.
Again, thanks for your responses.

1 Like

One more observation on my rootstock, presumably Myro. It’s blooming right now. Roughly the same time as J plums. All my E plums are still dormant. Does that sound right for Myro?

I used St Julian A as an interstem when I put peaches on apricot and Myrobalan rootstocks. It seems to be working.

I may experiment with Adara/Puente too.

It does.

I wonder if peaches always produce smaller fruit when on plum rootstocks? It seems to be the case for the ones I’ve tried so far.

That is interesting. It might explain why they are usually put on peach rootstalk. I consider peach rootstalk inferior due to peach borers and its less tolerant to soil types.