Interesting Find

Hello, been awhile since I’ve been here.
Hope some of you can offer your thoughts on my finds.

I discovered some native fruit and nut trees near my work, definitely intentionally planted, and I suspect named varieties. Fruits and nuts are falling and rolling downhill into work property so I can pick them up without trespassing. First pics are Black Walnut, I’ve never seen a wild Black Walnut around here with the pear shaped fruits. Very productive. Any thoughts on possible identity?

Second set of pictures are a large persimmon tree with the largest fruit and best tasting of any American type persimmon I’ve ever seen. I don’t this is a wild seedling, seems likely a named variety. Any thoughts?

Final set is a Pecan! Not many Pecans in my area, I am only aware of 4 trees in the general area. Looks to be grafted to me?
Not many fruit set, I can only see one . I don’t know what would pollinate it as there isn’t another Pecan nearby.
I found another local Pecan last fall, a huge ok’d tree loaded with fruits. Germinated some seeds, have some seedlings. There are no other Pecans around. Should I assume any nuts grown out from these isolated Pecans are actually going to Hicans? Hickory trees are very common here…

Thanks for any input!

10 Likes

Cool!
What observations lead you to think they were intentionally planted? Not saying they weren’t, just curious.
I know nothing about nut trees so can’t help you there.
Would need a lot more information for a persimmon ID if it’s even possible.
However, some wild persimmons do make rather large fruits, so size alone is not a good indicator. It’s hard to tell quite how large that one is. Can you measure it? It does appear big enough to rival or beat the biggest wild ones I’ve seen.
I’ve also had phenomenal tasting wild persimmons. So all that’s to say it could still be a wild tree if you consider only those 2 factors

2 Likes

Well, they are in somebody’s backyard, they are all approximately the same age, are evenly spaced apart in a row, and there are also a Chestnut tree and a large old apple tree in the same row on the same spacing.

2 Likes

Is that Black walnut a Butternut instead

1 Like

From what I have heard nut trees make the time a fruit tree takes to produce look like a joke if you do start from seed. The longest fruit I have heard to ripen is 6-10 years with some gourmet varieties of pears with the shortest being 3 years with peaches. I guess nut trees take at least 7 years to grow. Also nut trees are very cheap to buy anyway unless you are going to buy a specific variety. For example if you want reliable almond it is going to cost you 60 dollars at Raintree but if you want a butternut trees you can get it for something like 4 dollars at burnt ridge.

2 Likes

Makes sense. Agree it sounds intentional.

1 Like

Quite a few BWs have that ‘pear-shaped’ husk. Thomas Myers, here, looks a lot like that, but I have seedlings with that same shape, as well.
I’m not convinced that the last tree is a pecan(though it does appear to have a noticeable graft union)… leaves look more like hickory, and it has only 7 leaflets… shellbark, or perhaps a hican…
That is quite a nice persimmon…

1 Like

Thanks Lucky P!
Good insights.
I’ll have to take a closer look at the Carya. It looks a lot different than the Hickory that grows around here wild, but I will look harder at the leaflets tomorrow.

2 Likes

Wow I’m impressed you beat the squirrels to your black walnuts. We had a hard time fighting them in Ohio. The tree is huge and loaded. You are so lucky!

1 Like

Hahaha, come to Pennsylvania. Black walnuts everywhere.

5 Likes

Ditto

1 Like

My first thought looking at those leaves was also that it wasn’t a pecan but some other kind of hickory (or maybe a hican.)

1 Like

One of my favorite nuts. I make a killer black walnut cake!)

14 Likes

@mrsg47

That’s a very good looking cake. With a Cake like that on the table i suspect most of us would consider that as good as life gets.

1 Like

Wow! Really impressive! Congratulations it’s a very beautifull cake! I love walnut cake… :yum:

2 Likes

Ok everyone.
I went and got pictures of a hickory, a known pecan, and the mystery maybe hican ?

After looking at them all, the Hican suggestions may be correct, but, a grafted Hican is possibly rarer than a Pecan around here…

1 Like

Also thought I would share pictures of the magnificent old Pecan I found last year. I did actually find a few nuts on the ground today .

1 Like

And a picture of the youngest boy gathering and eating Hickory nuts.

7 Likes

Gorgeous! Booking tickets to :fr: now!
:rofl:

2 Likes

What’s the measured diameter of that American Persimmon? If it’s bigger than ~1.5", then I’d say there’s a good chance it’s a named variety?