Interspecies Asimina (pawpaw) crosses

The antique CRFG manual on Asimina Triloba?
I can look through it again.
What I’m I supposed to be gaining from it?
James A Little, brother of Feramorz, nephew of Brigham Young, was on Lytle Ranch in Utah with his 4 wives & 20 kids when he wrote that fantasy story.
Uncle Tom was a root sucker of Uncle Tommy Marsh head Apostle of the Mormon Church from seeds from fruit from the Rappahannock Indians that Joseph Smith & Brigham Young had returned with after teaching the “Lamanites”.
Seeds & root suckers went to Utah in the Whitmer trunk in the “Great PawPaw Exodus” of 1872.
Most of which died.
Some were planted on Lytle Ranch near the river.
Murals of the pawpaw at the Ranch along the river are on the walls inside the Mormon Temples of Saint George & Manti.
Some of the old pawpaw near Sutter’s Mill & Fort are from seeds from Uncle Tom.
Little served in the Mormon Battalion & was temporarily at Sutter’s Mill during the gold rush.
Apostle Wells over saw both the gold mission & the Saint George & Manti Temples with the pawpaw murals.
The Mormon church requested assistance from the USDA & the government set up 39 trained supervisors for different Utah communities to train people in have to plant pawpaw & care for them.
Citizens who participated got 6 seeds each & training on planting & care in 1878.
Which again failed.
A Mural of the 2nd planting in Utah 20220604_171817|564x532

20220604_171817

1 Like

No.

TrilobaTracker:
“Neal Peterson has been crossing the Asimina species for several years. I don’t think any have been released.”
Richard:
“I have some documents to share on this subject from multiple researchers, perhaps other folks here can contribute some too.”

1 Like

I have a couple of putative interspecific Asimina hybrids, from seed sent by Jerry Lehman.
Jerry hand-pollenated A.triloba blossoms with pollen from A.obovata and A.incarnata, then taped the blossoms shut - enough to minimize, though possibly not totally exclude - the possibility that they were pollenized by other A.triloba.
No fruit on them yet, but leaves look a bit different from pure A.triloba planted nearby. I’ve not really paid a lot of attention to them, with regard to whether blossoms look different from pure A.triloba or not.

5 Likes

If anyone would like further information regarding the original subject of this discussion, please send me a PM. I am no longer tracking the thread.

Well thanks for the links Richard.
I will explore & get back to you in a few weeks.

It’s a neat little spot. I’ve visited a few times, they seem happy to give tours. I don’t recall any pawpaws being mentioned, but there’s a lot of stuff there.

Around the age of 15 one of my best friends lived about a block away, and he may have occasionally jumped the wall and made off with a pomelo or two, which I gather was the closest tree to the wall. Sadly that friend ended up making even worse choices in adulthood and has spent much of the years since then in and out of jail. But at that time I was all too eager to share in the fruits of his “labor.”

1 Like

Did you get this
saw it a while back

Triploid Mutants among Diploid Seedling Populations of Asimina triloba

https://www.jstor.org/stable/2481881?Search=yes&resultItemClick=true&searchText=asimina&searchUri=%2Faction%2FdoBasicSearch%3FQuery%3Dasimina%26filter%3D%26so%3Drel&ab_segments=0%2FSYC-6168%2Ftest&refreqid=fastly-default%3A04387eabfa0684da5cdf42e5800109f9

Something else entirely
Also do not forget Winter delight pawpaw
it fruits in winter

I had some plants

Something else (trying to keep these topics separate )
Asimina nature hybrid with A. parviflora

Yes, I have seen.
Part of my concern about future breeding obstacles because Fernandez Custard Apple is near seedless with very small seeds.
Not sure if a ploidy related issue.