Intoxicating blooms

Just curious did anyone have success with Jasmine inside in the North? Clove currents and plums made me feel so good inside this last week. Their blooms are intoxicating!

1 Like

Jasmine grow well indoor during the winter time. Although it loves the hot, sunny day outside better in the summer

1 Like

I love this thread. I have a clerodendron that pops up from seed that seems particularly hardy. In later summer, it smells great and is absolutely covered with butterflies.

If youā€™d like to see if itā€™s hardy in your zone, Iā€™d be happy to send seedling plants to anyone. They grow fast, but winter makes them herbaceous until they get big roots pushing thick wood in a year (like figs).

Edit: I looked it up; itā€™s called Harlequin Glorybower. It should be called Butterfly Tree :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I was working on cleaning up the hazelnuts and whew the dwarf Dutch white clover is in full bloom across the fieldā€¦and the buzzing soundā€¦ euro honey beesā€¦gotta get some hives

2 Likes

My only issue with jasmine over winter is me forgetting to water it and that results in a lot of dropped leaves. Its been outside for awhile now and seems to be doing fine, although no blooms lately.

This happens to me too. But most times my jasmine dies during the winter due to red spider mites.

I got this organic indoor plant spray at home depot for like a buck on clearance and i used that this winterā€¦it has rosemary, garlic, etc oils in itā€¦i think it helped. I kept a good coverage on my gardenia and the mites were pretty minimalā€”for some research iā€™ve looked at rosemary oil is good against mites//could also try neem.

Can you post a pic of your spray,please?

Like @IL847 , my jasmine has been attacked by spider mikes every year. This past winter it was so bad that I thought the plant would be a goner.

Miraculously, after I brought it out on the deck and trimmed all branches to about a foot or less, it has been back and looks better everyday. I want to spray with something effective before I bring it indoors in late fall this year.

I had a red spider mite problem years ago when I first started bringing non-hardy passionflowers inside for the winter.

I found a systemic granular insecticide that worked wonders. Incense was the hardest hit and as long as I treated that one the rest of my plants were fine (as all the mites had to try that one it seems).

Scott

By the time I brought the jasmine out in the spring, it only had 3 sad leaves left on the plant

Which systemic granular do you use?

Its Dr Earthā€¦like i said they must not carry it because all the bottles were marked down to a buck. I think you could easily make your own. I think is sprayed my plants 4 times or so over winter. I saw mites, but it just seemed like the infestation was far lower then past years. The stuff stinksā€¦i would move my plants into the shower and spray them in there.

1 Like

We are having an incredibly cold spring here in the Puget sound region. Kiwis are just coming into bloom and they are intoxicating!

This is bliss yellow male (actinidia Chinensis)

Hardy kiwi (Anna)

3 Likes

I think it is just the bonide systemic. I will check and update when I get home if this is incorrect.

As I mentioned previously, I only needed to use it on the P Incense and it was enough of a trap plant that I didnā€™t have problems on the other passiflora.

iā€™m now up to 9 different varieties (ok, just a little bragging there) but I had a couple years there where Iost more than I care to admit.

Scott

1 Like

Thanks.

@IL847 - my potted jasmine (Orleans?) was close to dead. All leaves were crispy dry. Spider mites were all over the plant.

Last month, I brought the pot out on the deck, trimmed every branch down and hope for the best. I did not take a pic of it near dead stage. It looked pathetic.

This is it today.

1 Like

Wow it looks very goodnow. Orleans is the easiest one to grow. Ilike its fragrance

1 Like

Yes, the fragrance brings back childhood memory.

If you saw it in April, you would think it was toasted!