Intoxicating blooms

Thanks for that one. I looked it up and read some reviews. It is used in a lot of perfumes. Going on my to order list late winter/early spring. ,/

3 Likes

Are there any citrus that resist spider mites or other bugs in general, Scale isnā€™t a problem here and i could manually remove those, Just looking for easy to care for and well perfumed plants for inside this winter. Im willing to get a light if i need to but would like things that are okay with good window sunlight (Low UV)

2 Likes

Iā€™ve seen some others mention before that loquats have really fragrant blossoms, but I have to say that next to my citrus, they are among the best smelling. Like baby shampoo or baby lotion with a hint of jasmine.

6 Likes

How do you make the loquat to bloom? It looks like is in a pot!

1 Like

Yes, Iā€™ve been growing it in a 5 gallon bucket (but will probably put it in the ground in my greenhouse next year).

Please take this with a grain of salt, but my opinion is that loquats are a little like citrus in that when they go from warm to cooler weather giving them less water encourages flowering. My tree is a grafted ā€˜Christmasā€™ loquat

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. Mine is still small about couple of years old from a seed. I hope the seeding bear fruit somewhat resembles its parents in taste because it came from a very tasty loquat. I hope it will fruit someday

2 Likes

Hedychium ā€œdr. Moyā€ has very fragrant blooms smell like a tropical honeysuckle to me. Supposed to be hardy to 7b which is my zone

6 Likes

I love this smell! Itā€™s soo goodā€¦ here there are loquats everywere so when they bloom itā€™s great!

3 Likes

My fragrant olive started blooming this weekend. Very sweet smellingā€¦not sure how to describe. The plumeria continues to open blooms. The first 3 all got knocked off (2 by birds/1 by daughter). Hopefully the rest can open. I think the birds think they are strawberries since it was parked next to a bunch of strawberry plants. The night blooming jasmine was in the house and it is in bloom. Last night you could smell it in the house. I really like the smell.

I might have to add loquat too!

7 Likes

Thats really an amazing picture!

Is loquat any easier to care for than other citrus? I would be happy with a mixed drink quality fruit and would like to keep life simpler but plumeria definitely makes me want to put in a light and put more effort into it for the winter. If i could find a citrus thats okay with 8 hours of direct window light a day that would probably work (my understanding is this would not work for plumeria?)

1 Like

My loquat trees in cool weather Seattle are all starting to bud out. One is already in bloom! All winter long these trees produce fragrant blooms attracting honey bees and hummingbirds.
I agree that they have the best fragrance.

2 Likes

Loquats are not citrus, they are related to pears and apples.
They can handle 10F before getting damaged. (Zone 8) so much easier than citrus. But blooms will be damaged below 26F. And they bloom in winter!

2 Likes

Maypop and some other members of the passion flower/fruit family have especially fragrant and wild looking flowers. One of my favorite plants all around, but can be invasive in certain scenarios (reminding me of wisteria in that sense) is Passiflora ā€˜Incenseā€™ . The fruit tastes like fruit punch and the fragrance is heady and strikes me as something that a designer perfume would smell like

4 Likes

I look forward to the viburnum each spring. It is such a wonderful scent, that fills the yard.

2 Likes

The iris, ā€œSugar Bluesā€ has an exceptional fragrance. They are also very hardy.

6 Likes

And here i thought they were some sort of kumquat type tree! Interesting i will have to check them out and that seems like something i could bring into my garage back and forth if needed as well since my car engine keeps things toasty for the evening.

I very much enjoyed the maypop passionfruit plant i had and have thought about trying it again i just wondered if we were to dry over the winter for it or maybe it didnt like my mulching (i did a good 6" of mulch for the winter and it stayed moist as it was in a winter shade zone) ?

That is a very pretty iris there, I am a huge fan of blue blooms, I have a daylilly that doesnā€™t like my full sun area and maybe i should replace it with that, I have a really pretty purple black iris but it is not very strong scented

2 Likes

I know itā€™s invasiveā€”it commonly runs rampant in abandoned fencerows, forest edges, and similar places around hereā€”, but few flowers match the perfume of Japanese honeysuckle.

A few years ago, I started a quest to find the best (and easiest-to-grow!) perfumed flowersā€”but had little luck. In most cases, either I couldnā€™t get them to thrive (as in the case of heliotropeā€”which Iā€™d always wanted to try since reading Carl Jacobiā€™s ā€œRevelations in Blackā€ many years ago) or the odor was underwhelming or non-existent (as it was with night-scented stocks). My only notable success was nicotianaā€”Cranberry Isles, Crimson Bedder and Woodland. They were attractive and broadcast a sweet odor in the evenings; andā€”apart from tobacco hornworms and flea beetlesā€”they had few problems in the brief time I grew them. They came back from the root the second year, but this past winter apparently did them in; I didnā€™t even see a seedling this year. I rather missed them, so will probably plant another little bed next season.

An underrated native flower that I think equals or even surpasses scented tobacco in fragrance: common milkweed. We leave patches of it in the field for the monarch butterflies, and its blossoms delightfully scent summer breezes, especially in the evenings.

Favorite floral scent from childhood memory: I spent my earliest years in an old log house, near which was planted a large and very old mock orange. It smelled heavenlyā€”and itā€™s the scent that comes to mind when I think of odor sanctitatis. It put all the mock oranges now sold to shame; in fact, Iā€™ve not sniffed a single one since that was worth the sniffing. I wish I had a start of this plant, but the stupid people who later bought the place destroyed it. At the very least, Iā€™d love to have known its species.

4 Likes

I have a very strong scented mock orange that has been in my family for over 40 years. It smells heavenly and my mom brought it back from California and it has been in Colorado. It takes the sun and drought like a champ and not sure how it would do in a humid region but it seems pretty tough.

So far i have brought inside some lavender, wild geranium, tropical geranium, mint and thyme this winter and we will see how they do!

2 Likes

It does seem like the older ones are superior. Iā€™ve encountered quite a few mock oranges of more recent vintage, and not a one has had any odor to speak of.

1 Like

I planted a few White Cestrum that did well during this hot dry summer and smell fantastic.

1 Like