Introducing myself to Scott's forum

Hi All - Pat here. I live in northern Virginia, Zone 6b. I bought a house with a yard last year and I have a developing backyard garden, some young fruit trees (apples, apricots, cherries, peach), and various berry plants (currant, raspberry, elderberry, and strawberry). I’ve learned so much from the postings on this site. Big thanks to all who have posted the great information! I look forward to participating in the forum.

19 Likes

Welcome Pat!

Eh I never usually introduce myself on forums (I’m more a “ready for action” kind of guy), but for once i say “why not”?
I’m a italian fruit nut (pun intended) which started his fruit journey as zone pusher for tropical fruits, and now i’m neck deep into everything and all wich relates with fruit growing.
I work as forester, but i don’t get to see many fruit trees in my work; and when it comes down to them i’m just an hobbist. As for now i live in Florence, Italy.
Few years ago i created a forum for italian-speaking fruit enthusiasts ( FruttAma.it - Coltivazione delle piante e degli alberi da frutta in Italia - Indice del Forum ) in order to consolidate the italian fruit enthusiasts community with a place to share experiences, and where to talk about local italian varieties.
As for now, i’m mostly interested with citrus, apricots, pears, plums, loquats, figs. I hope to have great fun with you guys!

15 Likes

Welcome Pancrazio! Tuscany is one of the places on my bucket list. It’s good you are here as we so enjoy seeing fruit growing from around the world. Let the sharing begin…

2 Likes

Welcome @Pancrazio!

1 Like

Benvenuto, Signore @Pancrazio! You’re a lucky guy to be spending time in Firenze. Been to Europe a few times, and I’ve always wanted to go to northern Italy, but never pulled the trigger. We look forward to hearing about your fruit growing endeavors with lots of pictures.

3 Likes

Hi everyone, I’m Lindsay, longtime lurker, first time poster. I feel like I know many of you already! I love this forum and am so appreciative of all the fantastic knowledge, advice and enthusiasm on here! You may not know it but over the years you have solved many gardening/farming problems and dilemmas for me, so thank you all for your words of wisdom. I live in Ontario, Canada just outside of Toronto, in suburbia. I grow everything organically, which can at times make things both harder and easier. I’ve been gardening in a more serious manner since 2003 but started focusing on edibles around 2010.

I grow: akebia, apples, aronia, asian pears, asparagus, autumn olives, blackberries, blueberries, boysenberries, cherries, chums, cinnamon yams, coffee, cornelian cherries, currants, date plum, elderberries, fig, fuki, ginger, gooseberries, goumi, grape, guava, hazelnuts, herbs, honeyberries, horseradish, jerusalem artichoke, jostaberries, jujubes, kiwi, lingonberries, loganberries, mulberries, oak, pawpaw, peach, pear, pecan, plum, plumcot, pomegranate, prickly pear cactus, raspberries, rhubarb, russian olive, saskatoons, strawberries, tayberries, thimbleberries and various annual crops.

I especially enjoy anything unique, disease resistant and/or particularly delicious. For a look at the specific varieties I grow, please check out my profile summary. Thanks and I look forward to chatting with you all!

22 Likes

Welcome aboard, Lindsay. We have quite few members, north of the border. As you may know, you have friends here.

1 Like

Glad to know you Lindsey! Looking at your list of what you grow you definitely belong here in therapy!!! :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, Mamuang! Some of your posts are definite standouts in my mind, like your jujube set up! Looks great! I love seeing photos of peoples orchards on here!

1 Like

Hi k8tpayaso, thanks for the warm welcome! Is it therapy or enabling that goes on here? LOL

Therapeutic enabling!!! We make you feel nice and happy about your addiction!

5 Likes

Hello everyone,
I’m Oepfeli from Switzerland. Right now I am looking for robust fruit varieties for higher altitudes and while doing this I stumbled over this forum. I’ve always been looking for first hand accounts of varieties to balance the overly enthusiastic ones of the nurseries.
I think I found that (and much more information) here!
I’m exited to join you!
Edit: Thanks for the likes, people. It’s good to feel welcomed.

27 Likes

@Sue-MiUPz3: I see that you produce fruit in an even harsher climate than we do! Thats quite impressive !

3 Likes

Welcome to the Forum Oepfeli! You will find a lot of information and great advice here. Looking forward to hearing more about your orchard!
:apple::pear:

1 Like

Hi- I’m Francine. I live mid Maryland, on the edge of zone 7a(was recently 6b), Sunset zone 34/32. I figured I should actually join after reading for so long. Will find the right place to ask them after I poke around some more. Generally looking for information on rootstocks for apple- what Geneva stocks look good for my varieties. I have a few grafts I did last year on V1 and M26, not sure I want to keep up with those and fireblight possibility. Starting to move my mulberry, blackberry, blueberry, black raspberry, goji varieties out to final locations.

12 Likes

Welcome @LinzOrganicToronto, @Oepfeli and @franc1969.

In case you have not read this helpful guides. FAQs For New Members

2 Likes

Welcome Francine! I am also in mid-Maryland. I have used many apple rootstocks, the only real failure was G16, it was the hot thing when I bought a bunch of trees and now its not hot at all. So my opinion is to pick based on vigor and try to stick to the tried and true. There are many good threads to read here on apple rootstocks - Search results for 'apple rootstock' - Growing Fruit

1 Like

Welcome Francine. There are a lot of great suggestions and helpful people here on this site. I hope your enjoy your time here.

1 Like

Thanks Scott. I did notice you are close- G16 is not on my list. I have no idea of the virus status of my scions- and it seems a bit more dwarfing than I want. I will check out your comments on varieties too. I had wanted to try out some of the French and English cider apples, but it sounds like they won’t be great here. Summer is getting pretty hot and steamy. I am trying some of the varieties I have gotten in the past from Distillery Lane Ciderworks, and Albemarle Ciderworks, and checking southern types.