Introducing myself!

Hey all,

I just figured I’d introduce myself, I’ve been a lurker for a while now and figured I may as well join in the fun!

I’m in Iowa (5B), I’d definitely qualify as an amateur, much of what I know has been gained from hours of forum surfing. I have 6 different olive trees, as of right now my collection includes an Arbequina that I randomly found at a nursery in Iowa, Nikita Jubilee (OGW), Frantoio, Leccino, Sylvestris and a fruitless Ollie Montra.

Growing these In Iowa has been a fun challenge between overwintering, humidity and the sometimes excessive rainfall. I enjoy olive trees in particular because of the historical and cultural significance attached to them. I’ve always been a history fan, but ancient Greco Roman history in particular.

Recently, I’ve been trying to figure out a reliable way to source a leucocarpa olive tree to add to my collection. So if anyone has any leads I’m all ears!

Other than that, I’m sure I’m like many here and would love to share my setup, and anything I’ve learned. But as an amateur Midwest olive grower what I know and have direct experience with isn’t much lol!

Happy growing!

14 Likes

Welcome to the forum and I’m sure there will be those growing the same trees to chime in soon. Good Luck and enjoy.

3 Likes

Welcome! Always cool to see someone working out s way to do something unusual and difficult.

3 Likes
1 Like

Always glad to hear from others in Iowa. Welcome!

3 Likes

Thank you! I’m actually kind of surprised by the number of Iowans on here! There’s gotta be at least 25% of the state here lol

5 Likes

There’s a possibility that my family may be moving to the “Research triangle” in NC. My spouse has applied to several OB residencies in the area, so if we end up out there I’ll have to pick your brain on growing conditions!

3 Likes