Iris

I’ve been eyeing some from the Breck’s website. These two in particular, but I swore I wouldn’t spend any more on plants this year.

I should try to be happy with my new freebies but it’s hard when there’s so many lovely colors.

2 Likes

I don’t care for one color, I like bi- or tri-colored irises. I like all irises but German bearded iris is magnificent.

2 Likes

This the good one.

1 Like

Buy online.
Or Schreiner’s Iris Garden in Oregon is the best to order.

1 Like

I was just going to say I found Schreiners, and wow what a collection of bicolors they have!

2 Likes

Schreiner’s apparently pay a lot to Google because they are always on top of any search you do for irises. Probably related to that, they’re overpriced compared to most other iris sellers.

I second this grower. Their selection of bi-colors is mind boggling! I have been growing their iris for years.

1 Like

Beautiful Irises! Here are some of ours. Iris are among our favorite flower, and when they bloom we look at them every day.

We have a lot of moderns from Schreiners, and historic varieties from various places such as Old House Gardens and the Historic Iris Preservation Society. Also in my dog walking route, people put their unwanted rhizomes in the street with “free” signs, and those can be fun to see what they do.

15 Likes

All my Iris under breeding practices .

7 Likes

6 Likes

I love the dark purple, somewhere I saw a black with orange beard that I really liked but did not buy, still kicking myself

1 Like

Not the most showy, but came up from IL with my grandma, to my house in MN. :slightly_smiling_face:

they do well in a tiny little spot, growing mostly in sand.

9 Likes

@Mrsg47 It looks a lot like Edith Wolford that I grow. Very nice colors and shaped flowers.

Those are historic, and very beautiful. Modern ones often have different shapes and colors, and frills and other nice features, but beautiful irises like yours have a story and history. The modern ones might be flashy, and we grow and enjoy some of them, but you cant beat some of the older types.

2 Likes

Some of our older (historic) irises. These date back a century or more.

Also a couple more modern ones.

12 Likes

Iris season almost over.

9 Likes

The season is too short! Just beautiful!

5 Likes

Vincent_8b, are some of yours rebloomers? I saw one of your photos that looked like Champaign Elegance, and another looked like Clarence, which I think reblooms. I have a few rebloomers, Immortality, and Sunny Disposition have rebloomed for me in the past. I have new starts of Repeat Performance, Blatant, I’m Back, Pink AttrCtion, and Harvest of Memories which are all reported as rebloomers. I have my own hybrid of Sunny Disposition x Immortality but I don’t know if it reblooms.

I never fertilized irises before but this year I used “Grow-more for Tomatoes and Vegetables” around my irises. I think they were more colorful and larger flowers as a result. From what I read, to get re-bloom they need fertilization and watering in the summer, unlike traditional, Spring-only bloomers.

I also had leaf spot disease. I sprayed with antifungal which stopped it. I think it’s because some of my newer purchases brought in the disease. Next year I will spray early to keep it in control sooner.

3 Likes

They need the winter copper spray in my garden too.

Hi Daniel.
I have about 50 different varieties of Irises so can’t recall their name anymore. But some of your Irises names aren’t similar with , maybe they are different.
When I order some of them introduced rebloomer but not happen much to me yet. Maybe I didn’t take care good enough for them yet. I never fertilize my Irises or spray any chemical. Some time they have some disease but I do not care much because new leaf come out after Winter time . Just give them water if having time.
This year I bought some fertilizer 9-15-13 from Ace hardware using for the new Irises seedling only. I am busy with mixing varieties for breeding them . I referred ruffled Irises more or try to eliminate or giving away the regular flat flowered ones. They are all looking good so far.
I am happy and enjoy talking care of all my new pawpaw trees especially really like my Taytwo pawpaw very much . Taytwo pawpaw has a couple fruits clusters but I am not so sure they will last.
Really nice to hear from you Daniel. Hopefully you have nice gardening Summer time . Have you planted pineapple guava trees? Which is deers resistance.

3 Likes