Iris

Send seeds to someones need it. And sow some extremely beautiful. Donate Iris plants to others gardeners, religious temples…,I really enjoy this hobby, seedling a lot and very interesting to see new creation blooming.

5 Likes

That’s interesting how you grow your seedlings - very crowded together in large blue tubs. Do they bloom when they’re that crowded? At what point do you separate them into individual plants?

I was going to grow mine individually in Solo cups, but that takes a lot of space. I think I’ll copy you. Thanks for the idea.

1 Like

It’s take at least 2 years and will bloom in Spring of the 3rd year of planting. So I would like to save time. Now I have to remove most of my Irises to donate to Buddhist temple, and local gardeners. Then will separate all of the ones in large blue tubs to plant each individual in a different spot. Each of individual plant will has its own bloom color.

4 Likes

Hi Vincent, I’m your ‘neighbor’ here in Tacoma. Do you germinate your seeds right after you gather them or wait till the following spring?

1 Like

@Vincent_8B actually, I just saw your other post describing the germination process. Thanks so much.

1 Like

Vincent,
You have made a lot of merits donating them to the temple. Wonderful deed.

1 Like

After sundry and sowing them outside before winter.

2 Likes

Separating all Irises. Take a lot of time and very patient to do the job.

5 Likes

Wow, big job Vincent!

These are 2 year old plants?

I collected 420 seeds from 10 pods so far. They’re all sitting in the fridge getting stratified.

1 Like

Just sowing them outside. Winter time comes, seeds being cold stratified automatically. And they will germinate in Spring by themselves.

I read cold stratification in the fridge is more consistent leading to a higher percentage of germination. Also the seeds germinate sooner and more evenly giving more growing time over the winter, which hopefully will eventually translate into a bloom time of 2 years instead of 3. It’s an experiment for me to see if the above theory holds true.

I do have some wintersown seedlings that came up in July this year, they’re still quite small after almost 2 months. They’re definitely going to take at least 3 years to bloom.

1 Like

@jcguarneri ,
The irises you gave me 3 years ago have flowers this year. They are quite different from my purple ones on the third pic. Thank you.

4 Likes

Nice! The purple ones you gave us are flowing now!

3 Likes