Is it worth it to grow the Warren pear

My (prospective) first crop of TWO (2) Warren pears is coming along:

4 Likes

Those will be soome pampered fruits!

2 Likes

Warren is loaded in 2024!

9 Likes

I have 10 warren and 5 karls fvorite coming this fall. Has anyone used Lorette’s method of summer pruning?
Suckers are reduced by 50% in june, july, and eliminated in august to get the boursons to appear at the base of sucker by the fruiting leaves. The result should be no sucker and a set of soon to be flowers surrounded by leaves. My only concern is fireblight. Can these cuts be cauterized with blow torchto prevent fb?

2 Likes

@noogy

I would hold off on pruning except to shape it the first year or 2.

1 Like

Hi Clark:) …by shaping would you prune competing branches close together along trunk? …as in branches shading branches or opposite each other, emerging within 2" of along trunk? Just want good ventilation and light exposure. I do rub buds off of trunk below 30" as they emerge.

1 Like

Try to keep it to a central leader until it is at least 30" to 36" tall. Warren is not a huge tree. It is best to let it branch out after you get the trunk height your after. My warren on callery has never went over 16 - 18 feet. Magness on ohxf97 is similar at about 20 feet. They are beautiful trees with no tendency to break branches or other issues some pears have.

1 Like

Hi Clark! Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge:) A smaller tree is good.

1 Like