Is this a loganberry?

I dont have “the loganberry problem” here… but we dont eat them when they first turn red… they are very tart when first red…

They go from red to purple to deep purple…

When red they do not release easily from the cane… you have to force them off… when purple or especially in that deep purple stage… grab the berry and turn it a bit pull slightly… and it comes off easily.

I never even notice the pith or centers.
When deep purple they really just melt in your mouth… no chewing required.

Could be my southern heat helping with that.

1 Like

My Logans do seem reluctant to drop when over-ripe, just hanging on the stem until they are basically a blob of jam. Other berries in that state would have been on the ground for days.

@LarryGene … and they can get quite fuzzy / almost “hairy” looking in that stage too…

A logan is perfectly ripe for about a 4 hour span… just before it is rotten :wink:

I have planted two thornless Logan berries, if I understand your plant’s behavior they like morning sun and can yield good with just 3 hrs of exposure?

@Oregon_Fruit_Grow … my logans are planted on the east side of my house… they start getting sun by 8:30-9:00 am… and get very good sun until noon. Then just indirect light after that…

And yes they grow and fruit like crazy.

I have 2 crowns in that spot and limited each crown to 2 pcanes… those 4 pcanes are around 6 ft long now… and will easily go 20 ft or more by end of growing season.

By far my largest berry producer and they are big pretty berries too.

1 Like

thank you!

@Oregon_Fruit_Grow … if they grow there like they do here… you may have to supply a larger than expected trellis.

You need trellis space for the pcanes to fill…

Then the next season… when those pcanees are fcanes producing fruit… you need trellis space for the new pcanes to start filling… while your fcanes fruit and finish.

It took me a few years to figure out how to best deal with all the cane growth. It can be overwhelming.

I am really amazed by the vigor of your plants, did you buy them in 1 gallon or 3.5" pot from one green world ? or did you remove the fcanes the first years ?

@sub — checked my spreadsheet and I got my Logan crowns in 2019 from OGW.

I see now that they offer them in a 3.5" or 1 Gal.

It seems like mine were bare root… but at this point I really can’t remember for sure.

A 3.5" pot is quite small.

I have tip rooted several logans and when I dug up the tip root to move it… there was a lot more roots there than would fit in a 3.5 inch pot.

If I were buying some now I would choose the Gal pot size.

If you are thinking about buying 2 or 3… you might start off with just 1 and see how it does.

The way they grow here 1 crown, once mature (2-3 years old)… will easily fill half a cattle panel.
50" x 16 ft.

And you need double the space to have room for fcanes and pcanes.

When your fcanes are finished fruiting… your pcanes will be near 10 ft long.

1 Like

thanks, I don’t think here in PNW they would get all that large. I might just let one cane to grow due to space constraints. Do you fertilize them?

@Oregon_Fruit_Grow …Yes… each spring i pull the old mulch back and put down 50 lbs or so of compost… and some balanced organic fertilizer… then add the old mulch back and some new mulch too.

1 Like

My Logan canes in Portland OR can easily do 15 feet in length but the trick to large fruit is to grow robust, thicker Logan canes, over 1/4" thick. This year I have a few such canes. Previous years long, spindly canes were not productive, fruiting spurs were short and berries were small.

1 Like

great, I am also in the Portland area. How much sun exposure does your plant get? I was thinking about putting it facing east which gives it 4 ish hours of sun.

also, if I thin the canes to a single cane does it make the single cane get thicker?

@Oregon_Fruit_Grow … i am sure you would get stouter pcanes if you limit the number. Starting off with 1 pcane per crown should get you a nice thick and long cane… 15 ft easy.

Your canes will also produce sucker type shoots… at leaf nodes… see below.

If it is happy and healthy… those will pop out and grow too.

I keep those cut out… until my canes reach the desired length. Once you cut off the growing tip… those sucker canes will then start coming on.

Logans are serious about growing.

After a year or two… you could let each crown push 2 pcanes. That is what i am doing this year.

1 Like

I’m not sure what all determines the thickness of individual canes in caneberries. Obviously, it would start with good soil, timely fertilizer, and proper moisture. For Logan, all primocanes in my clumps are equal diameter, but diameter varies from clump to cluimp (other varieties seem more variable within a clump). For all caneberries, what emerges from the ground will indicate its vigor (thickness) by the time it is one foot tall. I’m not sure that removing canes at that point will cause the already emerged canes to thicken.

Logans would not mind being in sun all day (as in commercial and U-pick fields), but mine get upwards of 8 hours. Extreme weather (heat) may continue to damage ripening caneberry fruit in years to come and afternoon shade may be a benefit. In 2021 a heat dome wiped out the last half of the red raspberries in this region (Logans have significant raspberry parentage).

South Barlow Berries (south of Canby) does not list Logans on their U-pick list for this year. In the online tri-county produce guide, there are two remaining sources, I think both were pre-picked and for sale at a roadside stand.

@TNHunter my plant has grown these laterals closer to the base while the vine itself has grown 10 ft. Should I keep the laterals or remove them before the winter?

@Oregon_Fruit_Grow … i normally limit my main cane… to just that … and remove all those side shoots that develop when i notice them.

Or if I do let a side shoot develop… I will limit that to one or two with a purpose… if you had room for 3 canes to develop on your trellis you could let 2 or 3 develop and run.

The more side shoots you let develop the more it will slow down the growth and length of your main cane.

So… i normally remove all side shoots until my main pcanes have filled my trellis space and are running off the end (to tip root). Any side shoots that develop after that i will let grow and tie on the trellis. Logans (here) will produce an abundance of berries… by far my super producer berry cane fruit.

1 Like

Thank you, given they are already pretty long, I might keep a 2-3 and remove the others. Is Logan berry good for fresh eating or is it too tart and only used for jams.

Can’t speak for others, but I like them very much for fresh eating - to the point that I don’t often have enough left over to process.

2 Likes