Is this a serviceberry?

Those are serviceberry seeds

2 Likes

Ok, just tried a couple of seeds by themselves and yes they are almondy.

I think I’ll try planting the rest. Wish I knew what variety of serviceberry this is because the fresh berries are really tasty.

I may have to go back down to Salt Lake and bring home some more…

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

There is a tree type one,named Autumn Brilliance.bb

1 Like

I was just reading that one identifier is that the leaves are toothed on the end half, and untoothed on the leaf-stem end half.

Edit: Also the western serviceberry is named after Utah (Amelanchier utahensis), could this be a western serviceberry?

2 Likes

Definitely looks like a serviceberry. They are delicious. They are planted in parks in my town, and no one touches them- likely bc they’re afraid to try a red berry!

1 Like

Probably the case, So-Cal-Mike. I am used to serviceberries, including Autumn Brilliance–the picture is not that one. Probably the Utah one. We have amelanchier Canadensis, amalanchier lavies, and hybrids. And I’ve obtained and grown amelanchier alnafolia from Montana.

1 Like

Juneberries, serviceberry, sakatoons, shadblow, etc etc are names for these bushes with those seeds , colors of fruits , leaves etc but they do come in all shapes and sizes as seen here Juneberries! and here Saskatoon/Juneberries - cultivation and varieties

1 Like

I was wondering if it is the Utah variety; could be that that whole area was native plants, it kind of had that look (wilder, not like the manicured flower gardens).

I’m definitely going to try growing some.

4 Likes

i have a western serviceberry i got from rolling river. mines in full sun and the berries are almost black.

3 Likes

Can a serviceberry grow from seeds?

1 Like

Sure, Ruben. But it’s a slow grower…how many more years you expect to live?

2 Likes

take and root some cuttings. much quicker.

2 Likes

Are you asking if the seed will sprout, or if it will be true to type?

Not having grown them, I’m sure under the right conditions they would sprout and grow. The seeds may need to be treated in some way, ie: scarified or cold stratified, etc.
…as far as coming true to type I have no idea, perhaps someone with experience growing them to adulthood will chime in on that.

2 Likes

The reason I ask is because I would like to have a serviceberry and I was hoping to get some seeds from someone or to buy them from some source. I haven’t seen a serviceberry tree near where I live. IMO they would be like blackberries or mulberries that they grow every where thanks to the bird droppings and can be true type.

Now as far as how long I’m going to live? No body knows that but at least I know I’ll be leaving a fruit legacy for my family members after I die.

5 Likes

I feel the same about things I grow from seed, I like the idea that others will enjoy the trees long after I am gone, and also that it will be genetically unique, and maybe, just maybe it will be an interesting variety in it’s own right.

5 Likes

If planted in the square, perhaps a historian or somebody working at city landscaping would know the variety?

1 Like

What would be the best time of year to take cuttings? Now that I know where these trees are I can go back any time.

1 Like

I’m guessing when the trees are dormant!

2 Likes

dormant is best but I’ve had some luck taking them in early summer too. there are many tutorials on propagating summer cuttings. right now is the best time to take them besides when dormant. serviceberry cuttings roots pretty easily.

3 Likes