It's Finally Raining in California!

A lot of flooding in the San Francisco Bay area and north San Joaquin Valley late yesterday and today, many roads closed, and some neighborhoods under water.
http://time.com/4677567/california-weather-flooding-rescue-san-jose/

1 Like

Ya know, that portion of San Jose was built on an intermediate flood plane. My cousin lives a bit upstream and to the east on higher ground.

We keep focusing on California but in the meantime Nevada sneaks in with…

Read into the second paragraph re Carson City Nevada dam failure danger.

Mike

1 Like

The San Jose Mercury News is now reporting that the flooding that caused the evacuation of 14,000 homeowners was not the result of overflow, but rather a breach in the creek retaining walls.

42 degrees this morning – picking up a few more chill hours. Too bad almost everything except Nadia and Flavor Grenade are in the process of waking up!

I’m surprised your Flavor Grenade isn’t already awake – It’s only 200 CH. USPP12097 says bloom time Feb 20-27, and I’d imagine slightly earlier for you. I just put one in at the beginning of the month (feb) and it bloomed a week after I stuck it in in the ground.

My FG is in a more shady spot in the winter and has been later to wake up than my other trees. Not surprisingly, it’s been somewhat of a runt compared to others. We’ll see how it grows this year to decide whether to move it. New trees often bloom early for me as well, as they already got more chill in their growing location than they get in a full season here.

1 Like

Still in moderate drought down here.

2 Likes

We visited a avocado and succulent grower in the Falbrook area this week. Soil seemed nicely moist and on the steeper areas there was some erosion. Nice avocado crop coming, pommelos are my new fave citrus.

3 Likes

If you like Pummelos, then you’ll have to taste a Valentine pummelo hybrid cross. My absolute favorite pummelo.

http://www.citrusvariety.ucr.edu/citrus/Valentine.html

One of the local Fallbrook/DeLuz growers, Durling Nursery started propagating them several years ago, and they have become very popular here in S. California. I just adore them, you can taste all 3 cultivars in the fruit - mandarin, blood orange, pummelo. Outstanding fruit.

4 Likes

I though Hass was a winter crop. Unfortunately, they don’t grow many summer avocados in CA anymore. Some are just as rich and good.

1 Like

We’ve had over 1" locally today and the total might be double that before it’s over tonight.

1 Like

If the rain keeps up your going to be raising ducks there! You’ve got a lot of moisture this year. We have been pretty dry this year.

1 Like

It sure has been dry, in the cold months it doesn’t seem as necessary but it all adds up and helps replenish ground water supplies . My friend has a nice big spring fed pond but the spring hasn’t ran for a couple of months. Of course on the flip side a dry spring might make extra sweet peaches.

1 Like

So far locally this rainfall year we’ve had 15.5" which is about 3" to 6" more than mean rainfall totals prior to the recent drought decades.

I’ll say. Checking the weather stations near you I’m finding rainfall to date of 5 to 6 inches.

2 Likes

We are now over 2" here. Still raining. My yard is flooding. Middle photos are of my north side yard. Water is creeping up to my side garage door. First photo is the almost full pool and last photos is the east side of my yard with water up almost to the bottom of the sliding glass door. No water in the house (yet). Pool water is up to the under edge of the flagstone coping, so I’ve only got about an inch or less left to go before the pool overflows. Will have to siphon water out of the pool after I get off work.

We are on Flash Flood Watch until 10:00 pm all over San Diego county, and Flood Warning in some of the lower Fashion Valley areas (typical). Wind Warnings until tomorrow afternoon (that equals downed trees). And, watching for possible updrafts and hail this evening. Oh boy.

6 Likes

So pretty Patty even with all of that rain!!!

4 Likes
2 Likes

Here’s the survey result: :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh. My. Gosh. I wonder what will happen when ALL of this snow pack starts to melt? I wonder what the official snow pack is for the Rockies, who have also had some record weather as well. Guess we better be careful what we wish for!

Patty S.

2 Likes