Join the European corner

If you are from Europe here is a thread for you.

Leave a comment and introduce yourself , tell us where are you from and what are you growing that is special.
I am sure this way will be much more easy for us to exchange ideas.

5 Likes

Hello Helderā€¦ you know me! :rofl:
But this is a good thingā€¦ :+1:

@Heldervalente

You can move this to Regional chats to help narrow the topic down to this specific region.

Regional Chats - Growing Fruit

2 Likes

Hello, this is Mrsg47, I am in Uzes, France. Southwest. I have a good sized terrace and 8 fruit trees, all doing very well.

4 Likes

It seems you forgot to do that :blush:, at least in this thread.

3 Likes

@Heldervalente

Like @clarkinks said, we have the Regional category as well as the the About This Forum category that you and any of our European friends can introduce themselves.

Introducing myself to Scott's forum - #1874 by psmith.

This Fruit Growing category is primarily for asking fruit-related questions.

1 Like

He donā€™t knowā€¦ he is new hereā€¦ :blush:

1 Like

We have given him a proper channel. Hope he will follow our suggestions.

2 Likes

Helder is the only person that visited me and knows my orchard. He is a permaculture teacherā€¦

4 Likes

@Heldervalente

Went ahead and moved the topic under the Regional section of the forum. Thanks

6 Likes

I Travel a lot and collect seeds everywhere i go.
I collect about everything from cherries to eugenias.

My main interest its on pluots and interspecific hybrids, grapes and kiwis but i also collect some apples, cherries, plums, apricots, nectarines and figs.

Would be nice to find more people in europe interested on fruits and trees.

12 Likes

Hello,
I am an organic farmer from Switzerland. We produce beef cattle, but I am personally much more interested in fruit trees. We have apple, pear, plum and cherry trees on our farm. Right now, this is only an expensive hobby but I dream of expanding the fruit part of our farm. I am always looking for varieties that can deal with our high altitude and not very long growing season.

9 Likes

Our introductions are already in the forum, no need to ask again. You can start your seed and scion exchange outside of this forum. Youā€™re asking for trouble.

1 Like

Hi all, I am an amateur fruit and vegetable breeder from the Netherlands. I have my main interest in fruits like apples, pears, plums, pawpaws, feijoas and cold hardy citrus, but also love to grow and try more exotic subtropicals like avocado, pitanga, cerella, tea and guabiju.
I have grown and planted most of these in the Netherlands, France and Portugal and have a little bit of experience with these different climates in Europe.
I love to cross my favorite traditional heirlooms with the best modern cultivars to create new cultivars.

7 Likes

You are from Netherlands, Iā€˜m dutch but I grew up in Germany,
Ik spreek nederlands maar schrijf slecht nederlands.

I have feijoas, pomegranate, pistachios, persimmons, figs, kiwis, cold hardy opuntia for fruits, some ā€žcold hardyā€œ citrusā€¦
And a lot of different strawberries for experiments

2 Likes

I have taught many courses in Switzerland in zurich geneva and mostly at the vallais.

Its an incredible country

1 Like

This was great idea

1 Like

Hello, Iā€™m Oscar.

Iā€™m in the Netherlands.
I like to collect a little bit of everything, always have to little space to plant the things i want. So currently setting up a bunch of ā€œespalier frankentreeā€™sā€. To have a large collection of different varieties in a limited space.
i currently have
~100 apple varieties
-few pears
-few nashi pear
~4 varieties each of :
-blackberry, raspberry ,currants (white,pink,red), blackcurrants, goosberries, grapes, kiwiberrys, hybrid rubus, hardy figs
-30-40 different strawberries varieties (although due to my neglect this year, if potted up very few runners)
-loads of herbs and other perennial edible plants
-small collection of tropical, sub tropical and reasonable winter hardy ornamental passionfruit vines.
-and a whole bunch of other stuff.
-small collection of rootstocks

Iā€™d love to trade some scions, but do however want to do it responsibly. So i wont ship or receive from outside of Europe. I wonā€™t ship anything that i suspect might be diseased. And expect the same form you. Most of the time i have way more scions than i can give away, so it doesnā€™t have to be a 1 for 1 trade for me. If you have something i like and i have 10 things you want Iā€™m usually fine with sending a scion of all 10, lets spread the joy and not try and hoard it <3 If i have nothing of intrest to you Iā€™m also fine with trading a grafting sharpened opinel. Although due to the time invested in grinding that (by hand) i wonā€™t do that often

if i misunderstood the goal of this topic feel free to say so and ill edit my post.

9 Likes

Oscar, Yours is a very nice post. The major concern in the forum is members in Europe sending, scion wood, seeds, pits, and plants to the United States and other countries where they can be harmful to the soil and other fruit species and varieties. Trades in Europe must stay in Europe and all ā€˜plant healthā€™ regulations must be followed.

7 Likes

Greetings from Valencia-Spain. Here I grow a little of everything.

4 Likes