Join the European corner

thanks mrsg.

There was a post above that i didn’t quite understand. Now i do. And i agree completely. I havent posted my willingness to trade scions before on this forum for exactly the reason you mentioned. But since this was the EU corner i though it might be possible to do it responsibly here :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Do you maybe have Fragaria vesca Qurantaine de Prin?

no, i don’t have that variety. I have a few vesca plants and a few I’m sowing this season.

What’s special about that specific vesca that your looking for it?

That is a great introduction, Oscar and I fully share your philosophy.
There are a few other forums where Europeans can trade scions and seeds if they want.
I have never traded on this forum, but I love to read all the experience and knowledge shared here.

4 Likes

The fruit is 3 times bigger and should taste more delicious than an ordinary F. Vesca

1 Like

That looks interesting.Do you have pictures of the fruit?

I also collect strawberries.
Now i am looking for a semi wild strawberry for ground cover that produces good fruit.
Here are some of the most cool i have
transferir (1)
berried_treasure_red_basket_scene2Optimized
Resized_FragariaxannanasaVariegatasm

12 Likes

Semi wild and ground cover, makes me think of the white pinnaple strawberry that you just posted a picture of. If had one of those make 70+ runners in a single year. And the fruits are tasty and reasonable productive (roughly half the weight per surface area of standard varieties for me)
FMS might also be a contender for semi wild ground cover with good fruits. Both are ananassa (and thus hybrids). After that your looking more at wild and cultured wild species. But those often have such small fruits, that most people don’t consider it “good”

I don’t know what climate zone/location your in (not on your profile) So i don’t know if they act the same for you.

those first 2 pictures, by any chance are those grown from F1 seeds from ABZ seeds? (that’s a Dutch seed company specializing in strawberry seeds)

I’m really curios about the variated strawberry though. Never seen that before! do you know the variety name? or how did you get it?

2 Likes

I would advise you to plant a F.vesca with bigger fruits and F.moschata a hermaphrodite or male and female.

even if there is not much to harvest. the taste is worth it.
my favorite are the F. moschata, there are also hybrids with F. Ananasse but I haven’t found any with large fruits and an intense taste.
the Moschata are slightly larger and the taste is more intense.

they are nothing for good harvests, unless you can sell them as gourmet strawberries.
but there are also some old ananassa with a much more intense taste, Mieze-Schindler, Deutsche Gewürzerdbeere, Direktor Paulwalbaum strawberries…
and meanwhile breeds, with almost the same aromatic but better storability of the “fruit”

I found pictures in the internet of quarantine de prin

4 Likes

Hi,

I’m starting to plant up some land close to the Dordogne in Argentat.

Peaches, apricots, cherries, cherry plums, seem to be doing ok especially the cherry plums. I’m planning to use some of those as rootstocks since they’ve grown so well - despite the recent summer droughts there and temperatures just over 40 degrees (unprecedented say the locals, and not at all indicated in the 25 year climate charts I checked before I bought the land).

There are a couple of springs on the land, but they dry up at the end of May in these dry summers. So I’m looking for what fruit and nuts might do well there, without irrigation.

I’m trying pomegranates, but I guess I planted them out when they were still too young as the frost split the bark off at ground level. I’ll try again with bigger plants (I see a few growing in people’s gardens so I’m assuming once they’re big enough to withstand frost they’ll be fine).

Feijoias seen to grow fine too, but no fruit yet.

There are at least three species of deer there and more boar than the hunt can cope with. The deer have only wrecked a couple of trees so far, but the boar have eaten the hundreds of walnuts I put in the ground.

3 Likes

Hello people of Europe!
I hail from the mountains of Sauerland Germany. I stand over 6 Hectares of mixed meadow orchards, berries by the thousands and agroforestry on an retired cow milk farm.

Let’s do some more euro-centric threads.
:slight_smile:

6 Likes

Welcome Droppingfruit!
Agroforestry is fantastic and to be able to do it starting from meadows sounds great. What are the long term trees you would like to grow where you are?

2 Likes

Yeah it is very interesting, mostly we focused on fruit trees, some windbreaks and sugar tapping trees are in some sections that can become lumber (douglasie, keifer, nordmantanne, and sugar maple, birch, sugar birch) I’d like to see the process of a coppice willow row next to a fruit row where the grass and willow get mulched onto the fruit row directly. I think 100m of double row willow makes only 1.5 cubic meters woodchips. I need to test it out to see and feel if that is worth it.

In the fruit focused rows I am using the grass and hay as mulch on berries, hay potatoes and such, working out a tools to mow and rake it onto the rows with a huewender behind the tractor… The main fruit crops are Pears, and Apple interplanted with plums, Black currants, Aronia and gooseberry.

In some other areas Haskap, Chestnuts, walnuts, cherries, nashi, a specific area for Pears and Hazelnuts, still filling out those blocks with berries between.

Oh and a few hundred young persimmons, i hope to get mostly grafted in the next couple years. I think pawpaw is not too happy with our zone 5 at 500m elevation but I am getting some shorter season seeds to use from England’s orchard in USA.

Just trying out everything we can. most stuff is under 4 years old, some 10, and a handful of fruit trees are like 50 years old :smiley:

2 Likes

I hope this is okay here. Since i don’t want to post this in the trade section since there are mostly people outside the EU there.

I am looking at my grafting to do list. And i have quite a few spare rootstocks.

Is there anyone in the EU that is interested in trading some scions or other things with me.

I’m specifically looking for
-adara (or other interstems between plum and cherry)
-interspecific hybrids
-fire blight resistant quinces.
(like
-Ispolinskaja,
-Ludovic
-Cydora Robusta
-Cukurgobek, Limon Ayvasi, Ispolinskaja, Pinter etc
I use https://www.obstbau-deutenkofen.de/fileadmin/user_upload/Dateien/dateien/Quitten_in_Kuerze.pdf and https://www.obstbau-deutenkofen.de/fileadmin/user_upload/Dateien/dateien/Quittenversuche_in_Niederbayern.pdf as soureces for fire blight resistance.

Just to repeat, i only trade with those in the EU!

I have mostly apple scions. But also quite a few other things. And i also bought some scions of plum,cherry and apple of which i can send you half (enough for a W&T or a few chip buds)

PM me if you are open to trading or even selling me some scions.

4 Likes

When you say “cherry plums” do you mean the hybrids with prunus besseyi as one parent? If so, they have performed very well for me, also. :slightly_smiling_face: I’m in eastern Kansas/USA, hot dry summers, sunny winters with climate extremes yet of all prunus I’ve grown the “cherry plums” have never failed to produce in over 30 years! I think they are underrated.

I mean myrobalan - Prunus cerasifera

1 Like

I haven’t introduced myself yet, I just found this thread.

I live in Madrid, but have a farm in Southern Spain, in Cádiz, which is a low chill area.

I try to keep up with the fruit trees I have there when I can go, combined with the help from the people in the farm.

I wish I could take more full time care of them, but for now, it’s the way it goes.

Appart from that, in Madrid I have two terraces stuffed with plants, and it’s where I usually do my grafting to then take the trees to my farm.

6 Likes

I am in NE Italy about an hour North of Venice.

I just have a home orchard of 3 cherries, 1 pear, 5 apples, 7 peach/nectarine, 7 potted blueberries and 6 hazelnut

6 Likes

Hello green family

Im going to be teaching a Permaculture Design Course this Summer in the North of Portugal before the permaculture Festival.

If anyone feels like comming i can show you my food forest and give you some cuttings to take home

7 Likes

I am in the SW of France. I am trying to find a list of insects that damage fruit. We have so few insects except for bees, wasps, and hornets. Are all sprays here organic? Or can we find chemicals to spray. I am finding it difficult to get a good list is harmful fruit insects, and the rest I have mentioned.

7 Likes