Join the European corner

Is that lemon pale pink inside? If so, I had a similar one, ‘Splash’, in the late 80’s. I used to plant nasturtium’s in 60’s, early 70’s, my grandmother used the young leaves and flowers in salad.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi there! Nice to find this thread!

I’m growing this and that far up north in Finland. My interest in fruit growing started with apples, now I’m a lot more into prunus and especially experimenting with seedlings. For me it’s challenging to find fruit trees that survives winter here and produces fruit during our short summers.

I’m also producing hard cider from own apples and pears, a hobby that also made experimenting with apple seedlings to create fruit with tart by
If about 20% of my plants don’t die every winter, then I’ve been playing it to safe :joy:

Love mulberry’s, cherries, plums and chili.

Besides growing fruit I’m also experimenting with new potato varieties grown from seeds (and this summer a new experiment with poppies).

Picture below shows what I’m growing (not updated, several apple trees are removed and changed to pear, nashi and new apples.

I’m posting a lot of my plants and how I process the fruit on my instagram page: Jonas Rönnqvist (@josip_76) on Instagram

3 Likes

My red apricot

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum, Jonas, what a nice orchard you have and very cool experiments!

I would love to hear which apples have been the best for you over there. I have some Scandinavian and Baltic apples and they always ripen very early in summer for us here, but some of them are of really good quality.

Will follow to see how your experiments turn out!

Solko

1 Like

Yes, Panaché.

1 Like

Does anyone here no anything about the hashabi apple rootstock used in Israel?

Hi,

I’m Michaël. I enjoy being outdoors caring for a garden. Mostly interested in (fruit-)tree care. Currently growing at ‘experimental’ scale in an urban setting near Brussels, Belgium. Hope to apply acquired knowledge on a larger peace of land one day though.
Last couple of years I’ve been learning something new each season wrt vegetable growing as well, thanks to a communal garden nearby. Tomatoes, courgettes, eggplant, beans, …
I kept pictures of some past experiments that might make for some nice first threads … See you around soon!

Michaël

6 Likes

Hello,
I live in Switzerland, near St. Gallen and collect different types of pears.
High-stem and low-stem trees.

Hallo,
ich wohne in der Schweiz, bei St. Gallen und sammle verschiedene Sorten Birnen.
Hochstamm und Niederstammbäume.

4 Likes

Welcome! I’m in southern France.

1 Like

Hello

I am from Navarra, northern Spain.
I have a varied fruit orchard (pears, apple, plums, apricot) and I would like to continue expanding it a little
and share with other users. Thanks

7 Likes

What are the most good early apples are you guys growing?

Hi Oscar

Im a collector from Portugal, do you have hybrids for exchange?

What do you use for interstem?

Hello Helder

Hybrids for exchange.
I have yet to prune for graftingwood. But i suspect i won’t have graft wood for prunus this winter. Will likely have 2-3 hybrid pears.

I think i have a few hybrid rubus cuttings laying around. Quite a few young plants of rare and wild strawberry’s. And have multiplied a ton of creeping thymes. (different cultivars/subspecies) and some other herbs. I have been focusing a bit more on herbs/perennial plants this year.

I’m running out of space for new tree’s and still have to wait a bit until my current tree’s get large enough to support multiple new grafts. So orchard wise it was a “slow year”

Interstem
What specifically do you mean? Interstem for what purpose? Or on what rootstock/scion?

All of my apples are late. September is the earliest.

Hi, I am NOT in Europe, but I am reading your thread because things that grow in places like England grow in my United States zone in Vancouver, Washington. I hope you do not mind my offering the following.

I appreciated those who stated respectfully and seriously to NOT sell to us anything you have graciously to share, due to diseases spread here without intention that destroy our native crops and end our productions. We have suffered from things like this, and when I see in the general threads a boast of a person currently living in my country illegally getting a grape or apple or other plant not allowed in our quarantined state, it shocks me and makes me wonder if the Federal government will knock soon on their door. It is that serious.

I also wanted to share that I had a single pineberry (called many other names including pineapple strawberry, and variations like Aloha Berry, White Pine, White Carolina, White D, Natural Albino, etc.) Then a fast growing tree was chopped down and the bark shredded and placed all around the apartment building. Suddenly that single plant that had done nothing for several years thought it was in the wild and spread all over! It delights people who live here as well as rabbits who like to eat them. It keeps out weeds, and makes the topsoil protected, benefiting bushes and other plants it surrounded. Here is a photo of fruit I harvested when they first began producing some in early June last year 2023, and how in mid spring they had covered so lushly up to a foot tall. In winter it is about 1/2 inch to 2 inches before new leaves grow. So I can agree to your suggestion to a member of this group to try pineberry/pine strawberry as a ground cover. Smile

3 Likes

What are your favorite pears ?

1 Like

Oh, there are so many interesting varieties. I can’t say a favorite variety.

1 Like

what varieties do you grow? Here is what i have so far. most aren’t fruiting yet, i am removing many first flowers this year… :confused:

Pear:
Abbe Fetel
Alexander Lucas
Bere Bogmatko
Beurre Bosc
Celina
Conference
Desertnaja
Doppelte Phillips
Early Boliarka
FerdiSommer
FerdiHerbst
Ferdiwinter
Giffard
Gute Luise
Gute Grau
Gellerts Butter Birne
Harrow Sweet
Jubileen Dar
Kostliche von Charneaue
Kyrgyzskaya Zimnaya
Kitayskiy Lihtaryk
Pautalia
Red williams
Selena
Seckel Seedling
William Christ
Uta

Nashi:
Dripping Honey
Korean Giant
Benito/Benita
Kosmi
Kumoi
Kosui
Late Korean
Tsu Li
Chojuro
Nijiseiki
Ya Li or similar)

1 Like

They are all at same level for you?

1 Like

Hi - I found this wonderful site via a link on Facebook’s Apple grafting and Scion exchange group, thank you for letting me join.
I’m UK based and an enthusiastic novice hoping to learn & improve.
It would be great to link up with more UK enthusiasts.

2 Likes