Joint purchase of members of the forum, lovers of good cherries ( Skylar Rae Cherry )

Hi guys.
There is a recently obtained variety of North American cherry, which is really good.

• Skylar Rae (Tip Top cherry)

This variety:

I know a North American nursery specialized in cherry trees that would sell us this variety.

In principle, the minimum purchase is 30 trees (perhaps you can lower the number of trees to 20).

It is a large-caliber cherry, very crunchy in the mouth, and extremely sweet (25° brix).

As it is a purchase from a professional nursery, and a good quantity of trees, the price of each tree will be cheap.

We have the whole year ahead of us to be able to organize this purchase, so those interested in buying a tree of this variety can indicate it in this post, or send me a private message.

I assure you that it is a variety that is worth having in the orchard.

If you are interested, I can organize this project.

Best regards
Jose

4 Likes

I would sure be interested in ordering a couple with you. What are the pollination requirements? I couldn’t find them. I have 3 sweet cherry trees currently; (Kristan, Stelle, and Black Tartan), all of which are growing well, albeit slow in my location. I am an addicted amateur.

C&O nursery used to sell that cherry but they recently went out of business. Who sells the trees now?

2 Likes

I am interested, all my cherries are red varieties.

I wish we could do a group purchase of honey punch pluot too, I love that plum.

1 Like

Hi guys.
I’m working, please give me some time to answer all your questions.

I will respond to all of you in a while.

Best regards
Jose

1 Like

Hi Steven.
To buy good varieties like the Skylar Rae cherry, we should not buy from reseller nurseries, since they make many mistakes (remember the problem of mislabeling of the Emerald Beaut plum).
It is much better to buy from professional nurseries, since we guarantee excellent quality in the trees and you can even choose the rootstock.

Skylar Rae is for sale at Summittreesales:

Hi Eli.
That is an extremely appropriate question.

Skylar Rae belongs to the group of early flowering cherry trees, with S1S4 alleles, it is self-incompatible, but it is the easiest group of cherry trees to pollinate.

I’ll just mention some suitable pollinators:

• Royal Tioga (highly recommended)
  • Lapins
  • Chelan
  • Royal Lee
  • Samba

Hi Sarah.
The bicolor cherries are generally very sweet, but most do not offer large-caliber fruit.
I’m very interested in getting Skylar Rae (she’s spectacularly good) and Radiance Pearl (very good too).

Skylar Rae has it all:

• Large caliber of fruit
  • Very firm (very crisp in the mouth)
  • Extremely sweet

Come on guys, cheer up and let’s get this magnificent cherry for our orchards.

Best regards
Jose

1 Like

Jose,
Some members may not know that you are in Spain. Are you going to have your proxy in the US buying these cherry trees and mail them to you in Spain?

Is this US nursery you have contacted has a license and certification to mail trees overseas? As you well know, sending trees across the border without proper paperwork is illegal in many countries including the US.

2 Likes

Hi mamuang.
Don’t be wild hahahaha.
It’s pretty simple.
Obviously I am Spanish, and I can neither act as a representative for the purchase, nor receive trees from the United States (I would need to be registered in the Spanish registry of plant importers).
The representative of the purchase would be a member of the forum (a responsible person).

Those interested will send the money through Western Union to this friend.

Each purchasing member would be responsible for the shipping costs of their package to their home.

Among all buyers, we must assume two things:

• The price of shipping the nursery package to the “representative’s” house
  • Extra money for the representative to cover his work and packaging material (black plastic and adhesive tape) to make each buyer’s package

I personally want to buy 2 trees, which will be sent to an American friend’s house (it will be a gift for him).

If no member of the forum would like to designate themselves as the representative of the purchase, my friend would can be responsible for it.

With all this, the price per tree plus transportation should be lower than buying a tree from a reseller nursery, whose price for a mediocre variety ranges between 35-40 dollars plus shipping costs.

It’s that easy.

Best regards
Jose

1 Like

Very interesting article on its origin: Out of grief, a new cherry is discovered

Apparently “Tip Top” is the cultivar and “Skylar Rae” is the brand name.

2 Likes

hi Jeremi.
Yes, it is correct.
In Chile it is being tested as Skylar Rae, and in Italy it is also being tested and will be marketed under the name Tip Top.

I opened this post because I consider it to be a very good variety, and if a joint purchase is made, many of you will be able to enjoy it, since after all , I can get this variety from Italy in one or two years.

Best regards
Jose

1 Like

Jose,
If you can wait 1-2 years to get it from Italy, that would be better than doing it illegally from the US, wouldn’t it?

1 Like

mamuang, it is not my intention to obtain it from United States,
in fact, I know a farmer in California who is a large producer of cherries, and if I wanted this variety from the United States I would already have it.
I personally want to buy 2 trees to give to a friend who does not even participate in this forum.

Best regards
Jose

6 Likes

Jose

I don’t see it on their inventory. What rootstock is it on?
Any information on characteristics such as susceptibility to cracking, brown rot?
Ripening time?

Thanks, Andy

i got excited when i saw your post. (knowing your in the EU)

But got confused when you mentioned a north American nursery.

But reading the whole topic it became clear this is meant for American forum users only. If the nursery can ship with proper phytosanitary papers to Spain. I would be happy to join the group order. But I’m guessing this group order would not be possible for us EU people.

Could you mention that in the starter post? (since i assume quite some EU forum users know your in Spain)

I also want to note, that i think it’s a really nice thing your doing. Trying to organize this to gift a friend some cherry tree’s and letting forum members join along for the fun.

2 Likes

Hi guys.
I’m sorry to give bad news about the Skylar Rae variety, since her situation has changed.
This variety , now been marketed to professionals under formula club, so we cannot and should not obtain it.
Now is a club variety.
A couple of years ago we would have been able to buy some trees, but currently it is no longer possible.

Best regards
Jose

3 Likes

If I won the lottery, my only goal in life would be to jail break every club fruit held by elitist pay to play growers. And give them to the masses.

3 Likes