Jujube 2023

It took me a bit of 2024 to get the 2023 season written up. I was working in it on New Year’s eve, but didn’t make it. For the last few weeks I’ve been taking advantage of warmer than usual winter temps by doing some transplanting and preparing for spring. But, winter now looks like it is really here, as it not forecast to get above freezing for the next week (low of 14F).

The weather in 2023 wasn’t as good for jujube as it was in 2022. Several varieties dropped their production significantly. Even so, the trees were a year older and overall production increased from 300 to over 500 lbs. Which may sound like a lot, but I have over 100 jujube trees of varying ages. About half in my backyard and the rest at half a dozen rentals in several neighboring towns. Some of the trees are quite young, with a few even being planted this year. Though I’m not sure why I’m still planting more when picking the ones I have already takes so much time… :slight_smile:

The top-producing tree was a Sugar Cane that was planted at a rental in 2017, with about 55 lbs. Last year it was the #5 ranked tree with 20 lbs. While the tree has grown very large and is quite vigorous, 55 lbs of fruit was probably too much for it. The fruit didn’t lose too much in terms of size, but it didn’t get the same high brix that it had in the past. In past years it would always be in the 20’s, often 25-30 brix. This year, there were times the fruit was brown, yet still only 15 brix. Depending on weather, and how much fruit was still on the tree, the brix gradually rose, getting into the low 20’s.

The large, 12 year old So/Contorted yielded only about 25 lbs, down from 50 lbs last year. But, that number was depressed some by my not keeping up with picking it. Once ripe, So fruit tends to fall very easily and I probably lost 5+ pounds from this tree.

A few varieties really dropped off in terms of productivity, likely due to the reduced amount of sun this year. Chico, Mei Mi, and Shanxi Li all stood out for their decreased production. For trees/grafts in less than full sun, the production sometimes went to virtually zero. I don’t have tree-by-tree data for everything, but the other large varieties, such as Li, Sihong, Da Bai Ling, Redlands, etc, all seemed a bit lower-production as well.

The BV1 seedling also dropped in production to zero, but that could be explained by the young tree being cut to within a couple feet of the ground for scionwood. Hopefully next year it resumes production, as it grew very well in 2023, to over 6’ tall.

I tested branch girdling for the first time this year, with very mixed results. It does seem to prompt heavier fruit set. But, there are two main issues:
1.) Many of the branches then snap off at the point where it was girdled. It seems that weakening the branch, then having heavier fruit-set makes for a bad combination.
2,) Even when the branch didn’t break, a number of the girdled branches produced a high incidence of soft, worthless fruit.

There were some successes. One girdled Honey Jar branch at a rental had a lot of good fruit, that was ripe earlier than any other Honey Jars. The girdled branch of GA866 actually ripened a few fruit, though it wasn’t all that great in terms of quality. I’ll probably experiment a bit more with partial girdles in the future, but it doesn’t seem to be a straight-forward solution.

To gauge brix levels in jujubes, here is a scale I posted earlier this year:
Jujube Brix:
15- yuk (cardboard from Chinatown can be 11-12 brix)
20- OK, I can take it, but would like more
25- Not bad to pretty good
30- Great
35- Top notch, best
40- Not sure how much higher there is to go from best :slight_smile:

=================================================

Early season Jujubes (starting in late September):

This year the early jujubes were much more mixed up than last year. Last year, there was a more set sequence that I saw replicated at different sites. But this year, each tree seemed to have it’s own scheduling.

Sugar Cane- always a great, crispy texture. A lighter crisp than most varieties. The main potential issue is the bitter taste that some people notice in them. But, it seems to be hit or miss which people notice it. At one time I thought that it was possible that some years it was present and not in others. But, I was giving people samples of jujubes this fall and one guy had a strong dislike to a Sugar Cane, while I didn’t notice any bad flavor in them. Aside from that, and the one tree that had reduced brix (down to 15 from a normal range of 25-30) when it overproduced (55+ lbs), there is a lot to like about Sugar Cane. In addition to starting the season early, like many varieties, it continues to produce jujubes on new growth. I was still picking Sugar Cane right up to the end of the season, around the start of November. Early, productive, crisp- great texture, mid-sized fruit, quite sweet, but a bit more balanced flavor than some jujubes.

overloaded tree:

normal Sugar Cane:

Coco- Seems very much like Sugar Cane, to the point it may be a synonym. Fruit, ripening season, and susceptibility to cracking match.

Honey Jar- In past years, Honey Jar would be at least several weeks behind Sugar Cane. But this year, some of the HJ trees were right with SC. Honey Jar is a pure sweet jujube and makes for a good change of pace from Sugar Cane. HJ is a relatively small fruit and very productive. Early in the season (May/June), Honey Jar trees are noteworthy for having folded/rolled leaves. They have a crisp texture, with a bit denser crunch than Sugar Cane, which has a lighter texture. One person (from CA) mentioned that Honey Jar loses texture quickly there if not picked at the right time. Here, it is a very wide window. The only time I’ve seen it lose texture, other than cracking from the rain, is when I had a tree that was too tall and I kept forgetting to bring a ladder. They must have been brown for at least 3-4 weeks before I finally got to them. Even then, some were OK, and a lot had been damaged from cracking, due to rains when they were ripe. Early, very productive, crisp/crunchy, small fruit, very sweet (normally 25-35 brix). Anyone who wants to start growing jujubes should start with this tree.

Fuicuimi- My original Fuicuimi tree hasn’t been all that productive. But two grafts of it have done well, so I’m not sure how to classify it from a productivity standpoint. Especially since one of the productive grafts was at a site with limited sun, something that should have greatly reduced production. The shade did delay ripening by over a month, which turned out to be a nice bonus- crisp fruit in early November. Conversely, the original non-productive tree is in a pretty good spot and has only produced a few fruit. Mid-sized round fruit. Crisp, sweet (25-30 brix), with a lighter, tender texture. Top-tier quality.

Black Sea- Great texture, fairly neutral sweet jujube flavor. While Sugar Cane seems to reduce brix and maintain size while overproducing, Black Sea seems to maintain brix (upper 20’s) and reduce size. It is normally pretty small to start with, slightly larger than Honey Jar. Top-tier quality.

Confetti- Very much like Black Sea. I’ll be watching in future years to see if I can notice any differences.

Mei Mi- Another great texture, early season variety. Mei Mi has a bit of extra flavor that I really like, but it also has a couple big negatives. It cracks easily and isn’t very productive. The rainy weather this year reduced its production to almost nothing. I think it would be a great variety in a sunny area which doesn’t rain a lot near harvest. Or maybe in a greenhouse.

Autumn Beauty- Largest fruit size of the early ripeners. Yield was down quite a bit this year, especially lower in the tree and in a tree which was getting a bit overgrown (self-shading). In fact, one large graft (almost half a tree) produced almost nothing, after being reasonably productive the previous year. It also got some sort of a rot, which is fairly uncommon for jujubes (so far…knock on wood…). So it probably isn’t the best variety for rainy areas. I find the fruit just decent (normal sweetness, OK crunch, not super-crisp), but I’ve heard praise for it both online and from at least one person I shared the fruit with, so maybe there is more to it than I see.

Massandra/Maya/Moonlight- From what I’ve been told these 3 cultivars may be very slightly different. But from what I can tell, they are so close that they might as well be the same variety. Tsao also seems very similar. Elongated, with a somewhat dense crunch, one of them (a Maya) was ripe in the early season, while other trees (another Maya, plus Massandra and Moonlight) were ripe in the early-mid season. All 3 seem to be the most crack-resistant of jujubes. For example, a given rain storm cracked half or more of the ripe fruit from susceptible varieties, but only a few percent of fruit would crack on Massandra. I consider the fruit good, but not quite at the top tier. I also find the long pointed pit a bit annoying, as it is easy to break the tip off with my teeth and I don’t really want to eat sharp pits. But overall it is a very good cultivar, especially with the resistance to cracking.

But this pic does show that they do sometimes crack a bit…

Early mid-season (starting in first half of October):

Li- Probably the most commonly type of jujube grown in the US. Large fruit, which means it takes a bit longer for trees to come into production. Normally, the fruit has a reasonable, middle of the road texture. Not super crisp, but a decent amount of crunch. But this year a lot of my Li trees had soft fruit. Not all of the fruit, but anywhere from 20-80% varying by tree and site. I’m not sure what caused it and it doesn’t seem limited to just Li, but affected many of the larger fruited cultivars. Aside from this year’s soft fruit, I consider Li to be a decent, but not too impressive cultivar. The older trees can become somewhat productive of large, OK quality fruit.

Many of the other large cultivars don’t seem different enough from Li to get full writeups:
Allentown - Can’t tell fruit from Li. Also had a lot soften.
Da Bai Ling- reasonably precocious for a large fruited cultivar (a newly planted tree
had a couple fruit), but productiveness has been limited so far). Very large fruit.
Redlands- Similar large fruit
Dae Sol Jo- A bit more precocious than Li. Maybe slightly better quality than Li in past years, though this year I couldn’t really tell the difference.
Tae Sang Wang-Similar large fruit, but possibly more productive (I only have 1, so it is hard to draw a firm conclusion)
Talihong- Similar to Li, but maybe an extra hint of tart.
Yazoo Li- Very similar to Li
Hetian Jade-I thought it was like Li last year, when both new grafts produced several large fruit. This year, neither of the 2 small grafts produced anything.

Talihong:

Dae Sol Jo:

Da Bai Ling:

Redlands- from girdled branch that broke off:

Ant Admire- Very non-productive for me. Even when girdled, it didn’t produce much. Quality ranges from poor to OK. Not good for my area.

Early Golden Crispy- Very good. Top quality crunch and good flavor. Medium sized fruit. Seems to keep it’s crunch in storage pretty well.

Huping- Not very productive. Iffy quality, probably more suited for drying than for fresh eating.

Bing Tang- One of my favorites. Top quality fruit with good flavor. Is susceptible to cracking. Reasonably productive, mid-sized fruit with great texture.

Orange Beauty- I still don’t get great production or texture from this variety. I still have hopes for it, given what others have written, so I put a few grafts in a couple very good locations and they grew well. So maybe next year I will have something good to say.

Russia #4- Not to be confused with Russia #2/Black Sea. #4 is very lacking in texture to the point that it is quite noteworthy. In past years it was very productive, but made very little fruit this year. I only have one graft of it (for obvious reasons), so I’m not sure if it was just the location of that graft (low on the North side of a tree that has gotten tall and dense) which contributed to the lack of production this year. Either way, I didn’t really miss it.

So/Contorted- Productive and interesting zig-zag branches. Starts fairly early in mid-season, with OK/good fruit. But very late in the season (end of October), some of my So produce top quality fruit- dense, very crunchy , high brix, and some acid bite. It’s strange how fruit from the same tree and in the same year can range from “just OK” to great. The fruit from the below pic was above average, but not great. Note the fairly empty “seconds” box- So seems pretty good about not cracking.

Here’s a pic from when it really started to get good. The large ones with the speckles are really good. The small ones are more like the mid-season fruit.

Late mid-season (starting mid-October):

Bok Jo- The most productive and precocious jujube. Mid-sized fruit, with decent crunch, but not top-level crispness, so the fruit is good but not great. But it is consistently productive, even in years when most other jujubes are not. One year, when weather was cloudy and my trees were younger, Bok Jo was the only one which made more than a few fruit. The leaves seem larger than many other jujubes- maybe that helps it capture enough sun in marginal climates.

At one site, where jujubes haven’t done especially well yet, Bok Jo was the only one with a full load. Sugar Cane had some fruit, with So and Li having just a few.

While not the worst cracker, Bok Jo is no better than average in terms of crack-resistance.

Pingguo (Chinese for apple)- Medium to large, very high brix (highest I’ve seen is 40 brix). Very good flavor, but not the best texture- firm, some crunch, but not hard or crisp. A bit like Sihong in that they both have great flavor and OK texture. When I get a good one, it is one of my favorites. Some production, but a bit on the low side. I tried cracking some seeds from it this fall and didn’t find anything inside.

Bu Lu Shu- It was pretty good last year in a relatively small sample. Rather than making more, it actually made almost nothing. I’ll keep it around to see if that changes, but it may not be a great one for my climate.

Chico- Interesting flavor with some tart kick. I do like the flavor, but here are my complaints about Chico:

• 2 of my 3 Chico haven’t produced more than 1-2 fruit in any year, in 6-7 years. The 3rd, in almost full sun has produced more, but below average amount.
  • Texture- not soft, but lacks sharpness
  • Needs to be fully brown to taste good, but cracks easily with rain when close to ripe, so it can be a bit of a challenge
  • A lot of the fruit produced was small and pitless (no stone). To some it might be a feature, but it irritates me, as I would prefer to not eat the seeds (no idea about how safe it is, and don’t like the texture).

I suppose that Chico is like Pingguo in that both have interesting & good flavor, fairly low production, and only OK texture.

Churchpoint- This one is growing on me- very small, with an especially intense color. Many have a hint of tart, with an interesting flavor. Very few were impacted by cracking. Crunchy with some crispness. Maybe I could have put this one into early mid season, but even though it started earlier, I picked most of them in the 2nd half of October.

Grey- small to mid size. I’ve read it is good for drying, which makes sense, as it isn’t all that good for fresh eating. Not very productive here either.

Lang- One of the worst jujubes to eat fresh. Even worse than Huping and Grey. Decent size though, so it is fine for drying. It’s gotten to the point that when picking I toss even undamaged Lang into the “seconds” box to get dried. Not worth growing for fresh eating.

KFC- Pretty good, but doesn’t reach the top-tier. I also noticed rot spots where one fruit touched another. It does seem to be quite productive of mid-large sized fruit. If you consider it a large fruit, then it is probably the best quality of the large fruited jujubes. The texture of the skin can be a bit bumpy, but that doesn’t impact flavor.

Shanxi Li- Large fruited, similar to Li. A bit later season. Production dropped a lot this year. Shanxi Li always appears to set a ton of fruit, then drops a lot before it gets too large.

Late season (end of October):

Sherwood-Can take a long time to come into fruit. The tree at home (planted 2016) produced some fruit, but it wasn’t particularly good. The one at a rental (planted 2017) produced a bit more, though not a heavy load at all. The fruit from the rental was much better. Even the good Sherwood fruit wasn’t really to my taste, as it is very hard and dense. Some crunch, but not too crisp. But the sugars got up pretty high, with many into the mid 30s, so it was still good eating.

Vegas Booty- First time it has produced for me. Very much like the neighboring Sherwood (the one at home, where the fruit wasn’t very good). The girdled part of the branch produced more, but I got a few from the ungirdled part.

September Late- A graft on the Sherwood, which ripens about the same time, with similarly low quality (8 year old tree at home), just a slightly different shape.

Texas Tart- A very interesting variety. Small fruit, and only borderline texture. But what it does have is very very sour fruit. This year the amount of fruit produced may have overwhelmed the ability of the tree to ripen it and similar to the Sugar Cane mentioned above, the brix was lower. Last year’s brix was significantly higher, with some in the low 30s. Even at 32 brix, it is only borderline palatable, kind of like a lemon-drop. At 20 brix I only ate a few wince-inducing fruit. But I have high hopes for this cultivar as a potential parent. I’m crossing my fingers and hoping that the seedlings get the productivity and some of the sour from Texas Tart and the size and crispness from one of the other nearby varieties (Sugar Cane, Dae Sol Jo, etc). Even if I don’t get lucky on all counts, the results could be pretty neat, as there aren’t that many sweet-tart jujubes out there.

Sihong- This was a bit of a down year for Sihong. In the past, only one of my 3 trees with it was productive. That one still set a decent amount of fruit, but the quality was lower and a lot of the fruit shriveled prematurely and even the ones that didn’t weren’t very good. It could be water-related, but most of the other varieties on the same tree were fine, particularly So, Fuicuimi and Sandia). It looks like I really need a sunny year for Sihong to shine.

GA 866-I’m proud to report that I finally got fruit from GA 866, after just 8 years. :roll_eyes: I had to use branch girdling, as I think that was the only branch that got fruit (there may have been 1 fruit on another branch, but I don’t think it made it to harvest). The fruit was OK, but nothing special. Moderate crunch, not especially crisp. Like a smaller, thinner Li. I know that some people in CA love GA866, but this is one variety I don’t think people outside of high-sun areas should plant. For me, it is about 10% of one tree. So, with 100+ trees, that puts it at about 0.1%, which seems about as much as I’d want of it…

Xu Zhou- This cultivar is massively productive, rivaling Bok Jo, even in down years like this one. The problem is that the fruit is pretty mediocre, leaving me with lots of iffy (not great crunch and moderately low brix, often in the low 20s) fruit. It is also susceptible to cracking, which would normally lead me to pick any close-to-ripe fruit before a rain storm. But in the case of Xu Zhou, the fruit really needs to get fully ripe to get the brix up to an acceptable level.

It appears that Xue Zao is just a spelling variant. I graft it onto a Xu Zhou branch and the fruit was identical.

One good thing about Xu Zhou is that it seems to keep pretty well. It isn’t great to start out, but doesn’t get worse as fast…In fact, I just tried some which has been in the fridge for more than two months and it was edible. Not great, and half a dozen of them was plenty for me, but I think it is probably in the best condition of what remains of the 2023 jujubes. They are still relatively firm, though the texture has that wet quality jujubes get when they are on their last legs. I’ll probably see if my wife wants to eat them and if not, maybe I’ll dehydrate them.

Tigertooth-I mostly grafted over my Tigertooth, but the few fruits I got from it match my experience in past years- iffy texture, on very late season, poor quality pointy fruit.

Dong/Sandia- Finally a late season jujube I can say good things about. I was worried that Sandia/Dong wouldn’t ripen this year due to the reduced sun, But it just made it. Here’s a pic of Sandia at one of the rentals, where I picked it in the dark (probably stopping by after a fall softball game). The leaves had already fallen, but the fruit was very good, with a crisp, tender texture. As opposed to the late-season So fruit, which is crisp and hard/crunchy and Sherwood which is mostly just hard/dense.

Sandia also kept pretty well, as I think I finished the last of it 3-4 weeks later and it was still very good.

In past years Sandia seemed to get ripe slightly before (maybe a week) before Dong. This year, both were about the same, right around the first frost.

New, but too small a sample to say much:

Chao Yang- I just grafted it this past spring, but it already produced half a dozen fruit which were pretty good. Not very large, but decent crunch and a hint of tart.

Baby Red-Very visually appealing, but I must have gotten the timing wrong on picking them, as the fruit wasn’t great texture nor very sweet. I’ve heard it can be tough, as the fruit starts red, then changes to more brown when ready. I only had 3 tries, as it was a new graft.

Here’s a pic from way before they were ripe.

Dragon- I’ve had the tree for 4 years and the 1 fruit I got from it this year was the first. Not notworthy, at least not yet.

Kima- Round medium small fruit. I had a few this year and they were OK, not particularly good or bad.
Elk Grove- Early/Mid season, distinctive fruit. They are very dense, maybe even denser & harder than Sherwood. I do like them better than Sherwood, but need a bit more sample before I really make up my mind on them.

R1T4 & R4T3- Very poor production this year and the few I had were not noteworthy.

When I say that it was a less-sunny year, I actually have some data. I had solar panels installed on my house back in 2015, so I have some long-term data for my location.

While the April through October numbers don’t look that bad, down 6.3% vs 2022 and 2.5% from the 8 year average, the months with the worst reduction were the prime jujube months of June through September (jujubes get started late, so it is close too June when they are fully leafed out…).

Looking at June through September, 2023 was 13% under 2022 and 10% under the 8 year average. Now, I know that KWH generated isn’t a perfect comparison for light levels needed for plants, but it at least puts some numbers behind my hunch. 2 of the previous 8 years were close to 2023, being only 1-2% more sun.

I should also mention that another potential flaw in this methodology is that solar panels are expected to slightly decrease in output each year, though I haven’t seen too much of that so far. It seems the natural variance of year-to-year sun is far more than any slight drops in efficiency.
Solar_2023

Worst yield reduction in cloudy summer: Mei Mi. Bu Lu Shu, Ant Admire
dishonorable mention: Autumn Beauty, Chico, Shanxi Li, Russia #4, Sihong

Though the 3 with the worst reduction were not all that productive even in a good year. In a cloudy year they become virtually ornamental- maybe 1-2 fruit on a large branch.

Worst Crackers: Mei Mi, Bing Tang, Sugar Cane, Xu Zhou

Top fruit quality: Honey Jar, Sugar Cane, Black Sea, Bing Tang, Early Golden Crisp, Sandia/Dong

Honarable mention: So (would be on the top list if consistent), KFC, Churchpoint, Pingguo/Apple, Bok Jo (massively productive), Maya/Massandra

If you are just getting into jujubes, I’d recommend starting with Honey Jar. It is productive and precocious, so you don’t need to wait long for your first harvest and the fruit quality is top-notch. The fruit size is the one drawback I see, which honestly isn’t that big a problem if you are picking for yourself. Picking 500lbs of them, would take way too much time though, so I can see why it isn’t a common commercial variety.

I’d like to be able to suggest Bok Jo as the second tree to go with the Honey Jar for pollination. It’s productivity makes it a great tree to have in my climate and the fruit is pretty good, even if it doesn’t make it into the top tier. But to get it you’ll probably need to graft.

31 Likes

Thank you Bob. Li fruited well here in the past, but has since been removed. Based on your thorough write-up, I’m going to try Honey Jar paired with Black Sea.

4 Likes

Thanks Richard. I should probably mention that one of the posters (@castanea ) wasn’t a fan of Honey Jar when he grew it in CA. I’m not sure how much of it was climate vs personal preference. I believe he said that they softened quickly after ripening, something I haven’t seen here at all, with roughly a dozen Honey Jar trees at various sites. The only time I saw them soften was when it took me 3+ weeks after they got completely brown to pick them, as I kept forgetting to bring a ladder to a rental to get at a branch at the top of a tree. Maybe they need to be picked earlier in CA. Even if that is the case, in my experience, Honey Jar is one of the varieties which is pretty good even when mostly yellow, with only a touch of brown, so there should be a decent window.

Black Sea is one of the varieties that both Castanea and I agree is top quality, so you should be safe on that one :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Bob, castanea and I live in different climates.

1 Like

Fantastic write-up, Bob.

3 Likes

GA866 was my first planting after watching CA growers rave about it. Granted I’m in quite a bit hotter than you, I’m now wishing I’d have planted an Autumn Beauty as well. If it fruits and I dislike it I’ll top work it to an AB so no harm no foul. Wish I had seen your plethora of data prior to buying my first jujube trees as space is of very limited quantity haha. HJ and GA is what I have but I can always top work them in the future

2 Likes

@BobVance
Thank you, Bob, with a great write up. It should be use a ps a reference esp. for those growing jujubes in the east coast or other areas with climate similar to the east coast.

I have seen so many people growing or eating poor quality jujubes and swore off the fruit. Hopefully, your assessment would help them pick a better quality to try again.

I am waiting for my 7 yr old Shanxi Li to improve its eating quality. Probably will need to wait several more years. Its poor production is another big negative.

1 Like

I left some HJ on a tree wondering if they would dehydrate since they dehydrate nicely if I leave them on the counter. But they went through some freezes and went soft/gross. I can’t remember if we had some moisture, but it was cool/cold fall temps.

1 Like

You could waste a lot of years waiting for it to fruit. I’d suggest starting early and keep a few GA866 branches around if you are curious. That’s what I did, with most of the tree now Dae Sol Jo, Texas Tart, and a few other varieties.

Especially if they got the cheap ones from Chinatown. My wife brought those home many years ago and I couldn’t understand why she wanted me to grow them. 10-12 brix, spongy. That’s what happens when you pick Li before it gets brown, then ship it across the country. A few varieties like Lang and Russia #4 are impressive in that they produce poor quality fruit, straight from the tree. :slight_smile:

I think you will eventually get to the point where the quality improves. But I’m not sure if it will ever get too productive for you. Being further North, you will generally get less sun than me.

Actually, scratch that. I just checked and it looks like the amount of solar radiation you get is only 1-2% less than what I see. That might be enough to matter a bit, but it is way way smaller than the variance from year to year, given this year was 13% under 2022 and 10% under the average. That makes 2% rounding error. Northern Maine sees 11.5% less than me, so this year’s weather was the equivalent of moving to Maine for a year…

On the other hand, West Texas (Fruitnut’s area) gets about 80% solar radiation than we do, more than the Sahara desert…

Sometimes I get a few jujubes drying on the tree during the season, but it is tough to plan on that working in an area which gets regular rain. Once you get a few hard freezes, the fruit is ruined. The Sandia from the above pic were picked after a few very light frosts, around 32F, which weren’t cold enough to freeze the fruit. So the texture was fine, even if the tree started dropping leaves.

2 Likes

@BobVance
My experience with Li in my sunset zone 23 climate was that fruits left on the tree would dry to perfection.

1 Like

@BobVance,
Even though my area has 1-2% less solar radiation than you, does that take cloudy days into consideration? We can have extended days of cloudy sky. I remember one year, we did not see the sun for 10 days!!

As much as I want to grow good quality jujubes you listed, I have to skip all of the late ripening varieties. By late Oct, my jujubes lose most of their leaves. No way that I could grow any variety that ripen for you in late Oct or Nov.

2 Likes

Me too, even though we have a very long season. The accumulated heat units simply aren’t enough.

That was the problem this year- it wasn’t that it was cold, it was the clouds.

I believe that the link I posted above takes cloud cover into account. If it was just latitude, there would be bands of decreasing levels from the equator to the poles. Instead, there are high intensity areas over the deserts.

One other interesting thing to note is that we actually have as much or more sun than Kentucky. So, even though Cliff England is further South, he isn’t really in a better jujube climate. Actually worse, given all the damage he’s had from late frosts, something that haven’t affected jujubes here.

I bet you both could. The only late season variety worth talking about is Dong/Sandia. Similar to Honey Jar, it is also good when “blonde”, yellow, but no brown. When I first started growing it, I picked a few in mid October which were completely green, not even yellow and they were still around 20 brix. They obviously get better if you can let it hang a little, which I think it most years you could. But, even if you get an early frost and had to pick them early, it is still pretty good. I’d take a 20-25 brix Dong/Sandia over a fully ripened version of any of the other late jujubes, though a 33 brix Sherwood might almost be good enough, And as an added bonus, I suspect that a partially ripe one might last a bit longer in storage, which becomes more important for the last ones picked.

3 Likes

I looked at the Global Solar Atlas for my map location. It is not correlated with the data from my weather station, nor my 5kW solar system, nor my decade of experience gardening here.

1 Like

I grafted Sandria last year. The graft took. However, grafted jujubes could grow well the first year and died the following spring.

This has happened to me several times. We talked about grafting to upright shoots for best success. Sometimes, it was not possible to do so.

Great write-up, Bob. Thanks. As much as I want to follow this advice to the letter, I have to remind myself I’m in a different world here in S. Arizona, 9b. I’m growing mostly Sihong and Chico, and just picked up scions of Chico #1 and Autumn Beauty from Marta M. We’ll see how those do. But sounds like Honey Jar and Sugar Cane might be worth trying as well.

1 Like

Thank you so much for sharing all this super helpful and detailed information for everyone!

1 Like

I am a novice compared to @BobVance, but since you are in Southern California, I feel compelled to throw out a recommendation for Chico. While Chico might not be that great in rainy locations with a shorter growing season or less heat/sun, it was outstanding for me this year in Las Vegas. It has a more complex, intense flavor than So or Honey Jar here, and produces larger fruit. It might not be quite as crisp as Honey Jar, but here, at least, the texture is still quite good, and I had no issues with cracking. Every one of my friends who tried it this year ranked it the best of the three – although Honey Jar and So were delicious also. It should also be noted that for me, Chico was precocious and produced a lot of fruit for a tree that was below knee height in 2021.

I think that the reason Chico did well for me is probably due to a combination of a few factors: (1) long growing season with lots of sun, (2) high heat, and (3) very regular and controlled watering (a necessity in this climate), which probably eliminated the risk of cracking. Of these factors, probably only (2) could be argued to be significantly different between Las Vegas and SoCal; growing hours are probably relatively close. And as for controlled conditions, I think your meticulously maintained orchard beats out my yard.

By the way, I planted a Hood pear recently based on your posts.

4 Likes

Thank you for the recommendation. I would considerate it if I lived in Riverside, but not here in western Vista (sunset zone 23).

Definitely. Sihong and Chico are two varieties that I like when the weather is just right, but are pretty inconsistent for me and really don’t produce well in cloudy years. So, I think they are perfect your area.

Another which I think could be good is Mei Mi. It is a poor producer here, but the fruit quality was probably in the top 2 or 3 in 2022. It didn’t even produce enough fruit this year for me to have much opinion. But all that extra sun you get would probably help a lot.

I’m guessing you may get less rain too, so top-quality ones which are crack-susceptible would be good to try, like Sugar Cane and Bing Tang.

And Honey Jar is always a good one, though in your situation it moves more from a must-have to a nice-to-have.

I’ve never heard of Chico #1. Is it a seedling or sport of Chico?

I think that makes sense- anyone with more sun than here and wants a more sweet-tart jujube should consider Chico. I am growing it in 3 locations (2 trees and a branch) of it and plan to keep them. This year didn’t produce much good fruit, but one of these years will be just right and I bet I will really like them. Regrettably, for me it has too many problems (productivity, cracking, texture, and pit-less) to recommend. But I definitely see the upside in a high-sun, low-rain climate. Same with Sihong, which has occasionally produced some very good fruit.

I ran the projection from the Global Solar Atlas upagainst the panels I’m using and they said I should get 14.95kwh per year. The actual amount I’ve seen over the last 8-9 years is 14.73kwh. So, at least for my location, it is pretty accurate. At least for projecting solar generation. Maybe it isn’t generalize to growing jujubes and maybe there is something about your micro-climate that they miss.

You mentioned having a short season. When I looked at the weather channel for your city, it looks pretty warm (60’s) even now. Is that because they are reporting temps from a more inland location?

Yup- it has happened a lot for me in the past. You’re right- once I focused on upright shoots I haven’t seen this behavior as much. Even so, I generally try to make a few backup grafts. I just took a look at my spring 2023 grafting records and I made over 200 jujube grafts, adding a couple dozen varieties.

One caught my eye- on June 18th, I grafted XC 815 to a potted rootstock. I planted it in September, then picked a couple ripe fruit in October. Jujubes can be very precocious, even in cloudy years in New England.

The pic is a bit blurry, but I thought the shape was interesting.

3 Likes