Jujube in Vista CA

Thanks to Bob Vance’s 2023 review of Jujubes, I decided to plant a few here to replace the Li I removed 5 years ago.

So here they are, direct from One Green World: Black Sea and Honey Jar – with labels reversed!

16 Likes

That a beautiful size Black Sea. I’m surprised the Honey Jar is the smaller one.

I’m surprised that the Black Sea is that big from OGW. Maybe the Black Sea a bare root tree and the HJ was in a 1 gal pot?

It’s nice to see a current pic with so many trees in leaf, hopefully with nicer weather than I’m getting (40F for highs, which I know could be worse…).

@BobVance @k8tpayaso

Ha! Those labels are reversed!!

1 Like

I was going to be seething with jealousy. I ordered a black sea as well. Do the tips of yours look pretty banged up? It was beautifully packaged and I know it’s dormant but mine look downright crispy

@Lids
My Black Sea also arrived in a 1 gallon. The rootstock has a very good root ball. I transplanted it into a 20" x 10" treepot with my usual mix of Kellogg’s Patio Plus & landscape sand.

In the photo below, the yellow painted scion is 3" above the soil level. There is an excellent whip and tongue graft about an inch below the paint.

Overall it is 11" tall. Crispy is a good description of the extremities. The main portion of the right upward shoot appears healthy, up to 9" height.

1 Like

i doubt the 2 posters quoted above even conferred with one another before posting, but they sure were insinuating the same idea!

anyway, admittedly i was(once upon a time) quite annoyed by nurseries shipping dubious-- if not outright mislabeled specimens.
but over the years as our backyard operation expanded and the giveaways/seedlings
numbered by the hundreds – soon realized myself inadvertently mislabeling scions/seedlings, etc. At least twice had to destroy scions due to self-doubt, and possible may have broadcast some that were mislabeled even with due diligence.
so quite certain nurseries doing it on a much larger scale end up making more mistakes.

especially with nursery workers getting paid minimum wage and not exactly keen on accuracy

it is not uncommon for juju laterals(especially with a tiny specimen) to get crispy due to die-back in winter
As long as a good portion of the upright stem is alive above the graft. your juju will be ok. I can surmise you’re worried about the seeming absence of axillary buds on the upright stem(which translates to death if all the laterals are crispy!), but jujus have a weird anatomy-- if you look closely or with a magnifying glass, the majority of your crispy laterals will have non-descript nubs diagonally below each of their points of attachment, and those nubs are actually buds that will produce deciduous flowering stems, and leaf out more vigorously than normal in spring if all the laterals are dead, and may even produce fruit. And given the right conditions, at least one of them will grow into a new upright stem which will then have laterals likely to be more resistant to die-back, and may even produce a second or even third crop on the same year they developed. That is if you have a long growing season and the specimen gets plenty direct sunlight :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That is super reassuring, thank you!

1 Like

That makes a lot more sense. I bet that the Honey Jar was grown by someone else (DWN?) and resold by OGW. They probably grew the Black Sea themselves because few other places sell it.

Wow- that is even smaller than the ones I got in 2015 (13-16", 3/16" diameter). It took quite a while for them to size up in CT. Maybe it will be quicker in CA.

4 Likes

@BobVance about how many years was it until your Black Sea started producing fruit? Not full production of course, I’m just curious when I can start dreaming about trying it :slight_smile:

Mid-Missouri grow zone 6b (was zone 6a)
I have a Chico Jujube that I purchased in June 2021. It is now over 6 feet tall and produced one fruit last year. Temperature got down to -12 degrees F in January but I doubt that anything was damaged.

I’m completely new here, and haven’t figured out to direct message anyone. I saw a post about you growing papaya and avocado in Vegas, and I’d love some advice. Sorry if I’m messing up this thread.

4 Likes

Hang around for awhile here Tina and you will be able to message people (click on their logo and there will be a little message icon).

4 Likes

Thanks!

Hi @TinaLlama, welcome to growingfruit :slight_smile: i don’t remember posting anything about growing papaya and avocado in vegas. Well, maybe i mentioned growing mexicola aguacate here but it was the heat of summer that killed it and not the winter. Papaya is impossible to grow here, unless grown in a temp controlled greenhouse in winter and situated on the north side of a tall wall during summer. I did grow plenty papayas and avocados in the tropics, but that wouldn’t mean much in terms of valuable input

anyway, this post has drifting from main thread–just pm if you might have queries, are you in vegas?

Hi!
Is your Black Sea jujube breaking dormancy yet? Mine still looks very brown and I scratched a little bit of bark above the graft and don’t see green :frowning:

I’m in SoCal and I bought one of these Black Seas from OGW as well and it has broken dormancy a couple weeks back. No green above the graft is concerning.

Yikes, thanks for letting me know

1 Like

1 Like