Jujube in zone 5

@jujubemulberry

Honey jar continue to come back from getting murdered by the winter cold.

Vegas booty graft taking off. I was slow to prune back the undergrowth so that maybe slowed it a bit. I had left some of that growth because I was still having some delayed die back from the winter and wasn’t sure which shoots were going to pull through.

I found this rootstock behind the house. I think it’s a rootstock. No idea on the story. I might have stuck a cutting in the pot or ripped a sucker off the base of a rootstock, but I have no clue! It wasn’t seed started though. I guess the trick to propagating plants is to have very little memory at all :slight_smile:

7 Likes

looking good @snowflake ! The little one(last picture you posted) presents as a vigorous root cutting/sucker. Seedlings don’t usually branch out aggresively like that on their first few months.

5 Likes

@jujubemulberry @tonyOmahaz5 @BobVance @k8tpayaso

I thought some of you might find this interesting. This jujube is regrowing after dying back, perhaps the last two winters. I think it is regrowth from the rootstock (I think), and not the actual variety. First pic is bad grasshopper damage of the bark which completely girdled/killed the top of one trunk.

Here’s a pic of what it’s doing below the girdling. Very productive whatever it is. I think it’s a Dave Wilson rootstock. The top was suppose to be sugarcane I think.

4 Likes

Can you identify the graft line or is this sucker up from the roots?

The leaves don’t really look like wild jujuba leaves

3 Likes

Well…funny you should ask. I got tired of looking at the dead trunk for a second year, so I cut it back close to the ground this spring. It’s possible that I planted the thing a bit deep. I can hope! I agree that the leaves look bigger than my wild rootstocks. I has much more fruit than my wild rootstocks. If it’s something good… I will have to talk to the grasshoppers to leave it alone!

4 Likes

The one in the pot has thorns. That is root runner.

1 Like

With the fruit on it you should know soon.

1 Like

i couldn’t really say what it is, but since it is fruiting, hopefully they get to mature so would help with identification

1 Like

@castanea sorry you had damage at -14. I just wanted to let you know that my inground DSJ hasnt had any damage, 3 years, that feb blast got -12F here and no damage to it. Some of my others like Sihong and Lang were killed to the ground from 4.5 ft, but have regrown vigorously(the graft I burried below soil line), and are now over 5ft(a bit taller than last fall, very nice!). I lost Chico since its graft was above soil line. Just to share info. I will always bury graft at least 8" below soil for protection and also hopefully to get it on its own roots(my lang is already rooted above graft!!).

5 Likes

I got 5-6’ of regrowth from honey jar after being frozen back to the grafts last winter. They made around 10 nice tasting fruit per tree and the size isn’t too bad. I didn’t have bug damage this year.

4 Likes

Tony, I can’t figure out how to to DM on here. Sorry. It’s late Oct instead of early. Did I miss the fruit window? I could bring you some tasty persimmon if you like. Molly

To private message or direct message, click on the person’s avatar, in this case, Tony.

His profile will show up.
On the right side, you will see a blue envelope symbol, click on it.
You can write a message to him on a dialog box. Then, click Send.

1 Like

Thank you, Mamuang. I tried and then it showed up in the main group discussion again. I don’t see a blue envelope. Perhaps Chrome is the issue? I will try firefox…

It is probably that you are new. The system keeps track of members reading, participating, etc. Once you participate more, you will gain a certain status. Then, you will have ability to use more forum’s features.

This is to prevent people who just sign up to request materials without any contribution.

1 Like

Little experiment. We cut the bottoms out of some livestock feed tubs (22" on top) and slid them down over the young in-ground jujube and filled with manure. I’ll see if this provides protection to the trunk above the graft. The downside is the plastic is not UV resistance so they will shatter eventually.

4 Likes

How cold did it get to cause all that die back?

1 Like

@jsteph00921

If i recall correctly, it was a low of about -18F the first night, high of -12F, and then a low close to -30f. I tried to bury the trunks with snow up maybe 2’, which maybe helped slightly, but it seemed like the cold transferred down the trunks below the snow quite a ways.

Wow! Is -30 common where you are or just a fluke? Luckily the jujube came back. And the graft survived too not just the rootstock? They are such a lovely fruit and a pretty tree. I love the glossy leaves and tiny blooms. They’ve become so much more popular in recent years that the local nurseries are often sold out. More people are looking to diversify what they grow. Is it pretty easy to grow them from seed as rootstock? I think I’d like to try that and give them to friends.

1 Like

@jsteph00921

-30F wouldn’t be too common. Hopefully no more than maybe once every 30 or 40 years. They came back right at the graft. Very lucky. Jujube start readily from seeds of wild trees, and can also spread very well by suckers. I have mine where the suckers can be mowed off or dug up for more rootstock.

So they sucker quite a bit huh? That’s good to know. Mine didn’t do that at all last year. Maybe this year. Are they the type of sucker that pulls up easily and has roots attached?