Jujube rootstock: Zizyphus spinosa

Thanks @k8tpayaso, I think I will order some.

Just FYI shipping took a couple weeks coming from Canada.

1 Like

that is quite encouraging, apart from intriguing, that a reputable source is based in canada. If remember it right, there are vendors at ebay based in the usa who sell knock offs. Which is sad since yanks should have more exposure to and have more know-how re: chinese jujus.
and considering that chinese jujus can grow like weeds in many parts here.

3 Likes

I went to their sight…tempted to order but I have >500 seeds in soil at present. The write up for the juju seeds is perfect—they even mention the tropical jujus as being different.

4 Likes

yeah, i am impressed myself. Our friendly neighbors up north know about it, despite their challenging geographic and climate

2 Likes

500!? That’s impressive, what are you going to do with them all?

1 Like

They won’t all germinate and then there will be deaths :flushed:. Usually I end up with ~50% as plants. The very best of those will be kept to see what fruit they make and the others will be used as rootstock.

3 Likes

Here’s an updated pic

2 Likes

those are the real mccoy’s. Quite impressed, apart from intrigued, by that canadian dealer!

1 Like

hello,

What is so special about this fruit? how come people grow it?

How about this article.

Hi Travis, I want to buy Zizyphus Spinosa seeds

Xin chào, tôi muốn mua hạt giống Zizyphus Spinosa

Here’s where I got mine
https://www.richters.com/Web_store/web_store.cgi?product=X3518&show=&prodclass=Herb_and_Vegetable_Seeds&cart_id=4593632.66304

Thank you very much, how many seeds does $4.75/pkt include?

Good question, I honestly don’t remember. I think I ordered 2 packets and ended up with about 18 plants.

Englands also sells some

I’m currently in Vietnam and I don’t know if I can survive growing it?

Ziziphus jujuba will likely survive if grown in highlands of vietnam, or where there are 4 seasons. It may even thrive in subtropical areas but might not be as productive if location gets less than 150 hrs of winter chill

1 Like

Do you have any information about sour jujube trees used to make rootstock for jujube trees? Is it wild apple or Xinjiang jujube? Thanks.