Juneberries!

It’s big enough that the whole root ball is probably more than we can manage to dig and move without help. We might try anyway, if we can confirm it’s dead otherwise.

What size do you call “large and healthy”…we have Amalanchier lavies here that are over a foot diameter trunks. :slight_smile:

Okay, not that large! 8’-9’ tall and the main leader is maybe a 6" diameter. It’s doing well for here and is only about 6 years old. Our soil is very heavy clay.

You’d need a backhoe, then, to move it. Even two strong people couldn’t do it. Bare-rooting a tree that big would have slim (but not zero) odds.

1 Like

2 weeks ago, I transplanted mine into 3 inch pots from the flat where they germinated. They have not grown at all since then, though they continue to look healthy. Transplant shock, I guess, or do they just grow very slowly?

they don’t grow fast till roots are fairly well developed. right now im fighting western flower thrips that are damaging all my indoor plants. im going to start some seeds in coir soon, those will grow much faster i think…

1 Like

Back when we had real winters, froze in Sept. and thawed in May, I had lots of blueberries. But the new and continual mid-winter thaw and freeze cycles killed them off due to lack of snow cover.

Like some of you, until I research suitable replacements, I got a bunch of Pembina juneberries from St. Lawrence nursery and they are doing well; I like the upright nature of this shrub. Two years ago I got four cuttings of Northline, which I understand is a child of Pembina and others. They are doing well, not as upright as Pembina, but a visually nice plant. Got a good harvest from the Pembina’s last summer and hope to propagate more of them. To me, the Pembina, and the newer commercial variety, Obelisk, are stunning ornamental plants.

3 Likes

i have a wild one growing out of my spruce privacy screen. it grows 1/2in. berries that are good slightly under ripe. unfortunily its shaded pretty bad so only half if it fruits. i planted a canadian saskatoon and apple serviceberry but they are still way too small yet to fruit.

Now that I"m familiar with the shrub I see that our municipality has planted it a lot around town. Birds enjoy them this time of year and they are, environmentally, stalwarts. Impatient me wishes they grew faster:)

I saw some 15 gallon single stem apple serviceberry trees in Smithville Tennessee for $45 each (wholesale)……(online, I haven’t been out of KY since first frost last fall). Too bad I have too many other irons in the fire to grab a couple of them.

Those apple service berry bushes are gorgeous all year, but particularly in the fall. I’ve fantasized about creating a mixed screen of the shorter aronia in front and the apple service berry in the back. Need to find an amenable client. Such a terrible addiction we have, don’t we?

2 Likes

Yes! I have two hedges, one is cornus mas as I needed a true hedge and this will form one. it took like 6 years though for seedlings to form a 12 foot high hedge. Cornus mas keeps it’s lower branches. Plus I can harvest the cherries. I also last year started a Hazelnut hedge, a small one 4 trees. Other people here have used the bush cherries for hedges too.

3 Likes

Nice! Locally, here in Anchorage, we’re seeing increasing use of Prunus tomentosa for hedges. Have four of Univ. of Sask. cherries (Juliet and Carmen Jewel) in their third year; but they got pruned this winter by coyote. Rabbits spike about three years ago and we’re subsequently decimated by lynx and coyote. Now the coyotes are hungry. Interesting though that they have not munched on any thing else in the garden; have to admit, that’s a sophisticated taste:)

4 Likes

Clark and everyone else. I am really glad you guys all like juneberries.
I do not like them at all. I have 3-4 large bushes here that I planted years ago.
I eat maybe 2-3 berries per year. I guess I don’t like the seeds and do not like the slight almond flavor.
I leave them in because the birds love them.

I prefer them to any berry I’ve ever eaten…but for jam they are too ‘seedy’.

1 Like

try them slightly unripe. :wink:

I wonder if my varieties just suck. I have never eaten anyone elses. I can’t remember exactly what varieties they are.

I use a fine sieve or strainer takes a few minutes. I can’t stand seeds in jam and in syrups is not cool. Sold where kitchen supplies are sold.

Looking forward to getting enough service berries to do something with! I need a few more years.

4 Likes

Ok, I’m going to drag this old thread out and dust it off a bit. This forum never ceases to amaze me when it comes to the knowledgeable people that contribute in such extraordinary ways.

So I have recently “discovered” or actually looked into what the heck this understory tree is that I have seen flowering in the spring along field edges and roads all my life in Maine. Around here the old timers called it “wild pear”. As a younger person I assumed it produced an inferior pear looking fruit that only the old desperate farmers of old would bother with and never thought anything of it until this year when curiosity finally got the best of me. I marked one of the trees growing on my property this spring when it flowered…and had the brilliant plan of keeping track of it throughout the year to get to the bottom of this legendary “wild pear”. Today I finally remembered to go check on it and found the most curious thing. They weren’t pears at all…they were but a berry!

Now armed with this new knowledge I scoured the interwebs in search of what I had in hand. Come to find out it is a species of serviceberry.

It was at this moment, upon reading what this plant is truely capable of, that my mouth curled into a smile quite similar to that of the Grinch, when he formulated his plan against whoville.

You have to understand that I have been doing my homework for some time on what I can do (fruit production wise) with a particularly wet acre of field on my property (It floods every spring, and stays wet throughout most of the year). I had, and still am, considering cranberries but the answer I have been looking for has been blossoming a bright beakon of hope every spring right under my nose! Not 10 feet from the very field edge I have been racking my brain over is growing what I believe to be an ‘amelanchier laevis’ which is known for growing in much wetter soil than it’s cousins.

I ran into the house this evening to unfurl this amazing turn of events to my wife, who looked up from her book to look at the pictures and briefly mutter " that’s cool". So it is due to this lackluster response that you all have had to read through this wall of text… hopefully others can relate to the adrenaline inducing surge of a good ‘eureka’ moment.

I plan to start seedlings from the fruit this year and selecting/ grafting the strongest, thank you to @TheDerek and everyone else in this thread for your insight into this new endeavor!!

Edit: it is now believed the above pictures are Buckthorn, please see post below.

4 Likes

Unless they are much different in Maine than I thought they might be, you better look for another ID on that…doesn’t look like any Amelanchier species that I am aware of!