Juneberries!

Hahaha, it would be absolutely hilarious/my luck if after this lengthy post I was completely wrong on the I.D.

Hello…I am not certain of what your photo is…chokecherry, carolina buckthorn both somewhat resemble your picture. Or perhaps even European Mt. Ash.

Juneberry, sarvis, serviceberry, shadbush, saskatoon,…nope.

Hmmm…well I will go investigate in the morning and bring more pictures. This is curious indeed as the leaves are not serrated like serviceberry, but this does not look like the native cherry or dogwood I’m used to seeing (also the fruit formation is wrong especially for dogwood). Buckthorn is starting to look very likely to me. Also I swear I saw a tree in this area flowering very early like serviceberry…so it is also possible I photographed the wrong tree…I will come back armed with more info tomorrow morning. The plot thickens!

2 Likes

Buckthorn for sure when the berries turn black.

1 Like

Alas I have returned! So I dug a little deeper (into the woodline) this morning and think I have solved the mystery. I did indeed see a serviceberry flowering this spring and took mental note of where it was located. When I went to find it yesterday (see my original post) I came across an understory tree with berries and got caught up in the excitement before stopping to ensure an accurate I.D… What I ended up photographing is what I believe a Buckthorn. This morning I returned and had to walk 10 feet deeper into the woodline to find the true source of the blossoms I saw this spring. This tree (25-30 ft. tall I would say) produces berries that look much more serviceberry like:

As well as the serrated leaf edges:

Because it is growing in such a wet area in such an upright “tree” fashion I am still leaning towards it being an ‘amelanchier laevis’ and not one of the other Maine natives like ‘A. Canadensis’ and the excitement for the possibilities of this tree in my landscape still hold true.

So let this be a lesson kids, get a positive I.D. before your excitement causes you to make an ilinformed post on a reputable fruit forum :joy:

3 Likes

i have a 20ft.serviceberry growing out of my spruce hedge. leaves and berries look similar to yours. after finding one i started noticing smaller ones all over the property. probably spread from my big one by the birds. if you start to pay attention when in the woods you’ll realize there are a lot of them in Maine. but the ones growing in the understory are small and rarely fruit. the one thats in my hedge only fruits on 2 large branches that have managed to get out of the hedge and get light. the rest has leaves but no fruit. not sure of which serviceberry it is either. they are all so similar.

2 Likes

Thanks Moose, I did look around this tree and found probably 6-10 seedlings growing under it. Transplanting these young ones will be my first attempt at propogating them as the berries on this tree are sparse and 20 feet above ground mostly. Should be a fun project for years to come.

3 Likes

i also found a wild gooseberry growing under my pines. i dug it and put it in a pot last summer then trans planted in my yard this may. its about 14in. tall now. it had blossoms but i think that last late freeze got them. its one thorny bugger! if the berries are half decent ill keep it. 1st Ribes I’ve ever found wild. no sign of w.p.b.r so it must be at least resistant. I’m always careful not to get water on the leaves and i spray immunox on all my Ribes just in case and so far its worked.

3 Likes

Update: ended up digging 3 seedlings and potting them for this season. Was kind of late so didn’t know how they would do. They came up pretty easy with the spade.

After a month of getting them out from the full shade and tucking them behind an azalea bush to harden off one has sent up some healthy looking new shoots.

Older “original” seedling growth:

New shoot coming up from the roots:

It’s put on as much growth in the last month then it has the previous years combined, who knows how many years it’s been sitting in the understory biding it’s time.

3 Likes

August 23 . Blooming out of season wild juneberry in northern MN . Fluke or new mutation . Only time will tell .

4 Likes

I’m guessing you have success. :slight_smile:

1 Like

There are so many types of these berries that are available but only the short one seem to love Kansas. My bushes get a few feet tall and are loaded with fruit every year. We keep on picking them year after year disease free. They have been 15 years without spray or disease of any kind. Some years they can be blan if there is to much rain. My mother picks lots of them they are a favorite of hers.