Korean Giant Asian pear

Korean Giant are blooming like crazy this year! We will see how they do! I have 4 dwarfs and a couple full sized. @mamuang you hooked me on this pear!

2 Likes

Is anyone growing KG in zone 4? Does it ripen for you? Might have to be on my list for next year :slight_smile:

This is the third leaf for my Korean Giant grafts, and still no blossoms.

Anybody know how long it should take until fruiting? My other pear grafts the same age are covered in flowers right now.

I’d like to know too. I just planted a bareroot KG. Mamuang your tree is beautiful. I’d be happy with half that amount of flowers. How long did it take it to start fruiting?

It also depends on a rootstock. What rootstock your tree is on?

Not sure it is hardy enough in zone 4. It’s a later variety, ripe somewhere neat mid Oct.here, may not have lonh enough growing season to ripe in zone 4

1 Like

Mine did not take very long to bloom. I have a couple on ohxf333 which likely won’t get over 5’-6’ tall. I have some on ohxf87 and some on callery. The callery bloomed quick. In an ideal world I’d love them on BET or Harbin but not seen them sold like that anywhere. That would be a lot of great fruit on a large tree!

Agree with Annie. I am in zone 6a. It ripens in early to mid Oct. Your zone has even shorter growing season. You may want to graft it to your existing tree instead. I have plenty of wood. Ask me next winter.

2 Likes

Great looking tree!
This is my first year getting hosui pears. If I didn’t thin the pear trees when they were blooms or very tiny fruit, is that what makes a tree go biennial? Or is it if I let too many fruit continue to grow to nickel size or even full size? Does it make a difference when the thinning is done? If its the first, I need to get out there tomorrow and start thinning.

It’s on Callery. The tree was a good 4" in diameter and already flowering on it’s own when I butchered it and added all my grafts.

1 Like

I grafted a KG to an existing tree last year and this year it has blooms. It also grew probably 4 feet and is 1 inch in diameter.

2 Likes

My experience is the same as @BobC. My A pear grafts usually flower and set fruit is the next year or the 2nd year after grafting. E pears are more stubborn.

Try bending branches this year. It probably will flower next year. I also notice that my Hosui which has more shade does not set fruit as well.

@growjimgrow, the longer you let the fruit hang, the more energy, the tree has to spend on growing those fruit. If your tree is relatively young, you risk its growth and fruit production for next year.

My 20 th Century went biennial one year (on a 6 yrs old tree) because I was lazy and did not thin it much the year before.

1 Like

Can’t wait to have these problems (thinning) on my hands.

You will :smile:

Thanks mamuang. I will get out there this weekend and try and thin some the the A pears. My thoughts were to let them grow to dime size then prune out the smaller ones or any with any damage. They are currently smaller than a pea. I have sprayed Surround on them twice so far to deter PC.

1 Like

It won’t be long with an asian pear. They set way to many!

1 Like

Jim,

Don’t forget a tree spends more energy to produce fruit than producing leaves. The more you leave the fruit on, the more energy a tree need to spend on sizing up those fruit. That’s why poorly thinned fruit are small (in size) and often not as tasty.

I may leave two pears per cluster but usually one per cluster. With a mature tree like mine, I thin in rounds, usually 2-3 rounds as I could leave more at first and then, thin off in a week or two after that. The earlier you thin, the better it is.

2 Likes

That’s what I’ll do then, thin in rounds.
thanks

I planted a KG this year, on OHxF87, bareroot from Raintree. After visiting @mamuang last year, I was inspired to have more trees and less other stuff. Also planted two jujube and a Harrow Sweet.

Looking forward to KG growing up!

You can see part of my pathetic scraggly asparagus patch behind the new tree.

1 Like

Holly,
Where my Korean Giant and Honey Crisp stand was my large veggie patch many moons ago. I still miss my Chinese morning glory and Asian veggies that I used to grow.

1 Like