Korean Giant Asian pear

:yum::yum::yum:

2 Likes

Terrific! You arenā€™t too far south from me. How long have you been eating them this summer?

1 Like

I need to wait until Oct if those nasty pests donā€™t get to them first.

2 Likes

My KG isnā€™t fit to eat for at least another month. And thatā€™s a warm 7b/8a.

1 Like

Yikes! Those pests.

Interesting. You are about 600 miles South of me and even further west. We are 7a and this one dropped this morning so I guess we will find out soon how it tastes. Going to let it sit in refrigerator till this evening.

1 Like

Korean Giant is very late here.

1 Like

Clark, you are so right. Korean giant is very late here too. In mid to late October

2 Likes

Last year I let some of mine stay on the tree until Nov.

It can be eateb from early Oct until Nov. Once it is overripe, it loses its crunchiness.

4 Likes

I saw Asian pears in the store today for $2.99/each! Just looked at it and smiled and walked away thinking next year Iā€™ll have plenty of them. For this year I got a couple on the tree and I just added 2 more layers of chicken wire on top of the existing layer. So it should hold up against a minor explosion now. But who knowsā€¦

4 Likes

Susu,
Wouldnā€™t squirrels be able to climb up the chicken wire easily? They climb the bird feeder pole with ease.

Either a groundhog or a squirrel was able to take down two apples while the tree (a small apple tree) is inside a chicken wire cage.

I figured even if they can climb on top of it, they canā€™t take off 3 layers to get to the fruit.
With peaches I only had one layer of chicken wire.

3 Likes

This is what compelled me to grow my own. I can get them cheaper but I eat a lot every fall. Mine are only tennis ball sized so still a long way to go. I think I picked mine the first week of October last year.

3 Likes

I saw these in our stores and thought that I would not pay that price for a pear. This is the first year I have met our needs with Korean Giant. All my family loves them so I will be expanding this one.

7 Likes

Korean Giant is sizing up pretty fast. Last week I covered it with chicken wire and this week itā€™s grown to the point that it touches the chicken wire. I had to make the wire rounder so itā€™ll get more space without touching the wire. Now itā€™s the size of an apple. These will get big I think. Do they keep growing until they ripen or do they stop st some point?

4 Likes

Itā€™s my first year with Korean Giant fruit. I grafted mine two years ago and it has five fruit. The tree didnā€™t grow any fruit buds this year probably because I didnā€™t thin it took a year off so I left all five fruit on the graft. Mine are just a little bigger than golf balls maybe 1 1/2" Maybe next month Iā€™m hoping they will start to grow. My apples really donā€™t grow till the last month also then they noticeably get bigger. My fruit is later than most in my area. My twentieth century that itā€™s on gets ripe around the end of August. I think Korean Giant ripens later. I made two trees with the scion wood also. I gave the best one to my sister. It grew to be about five foot tall then something bite it like a rabbit right below the graft, so I cut the top of my tree off and regrafted this spring. Mine grew that foot back plus another foot. Iā€™m finding out itā€™s harder to grow fruit trees for someone else. My sister is busy with work and grandchildren so fruit trees given to her are not top priority. Last time I was up there the weeds and grass were two foot tall around the grafted rootstock and no sunlight was getting to it. It was alive still but I donā€™t know if it ever leafed out after I cut the grass around it to the ground.

3 Likes

They keep growing until the very end when they ripen from what Iā€™ve seen. Expect them to get around a pound if not more when they are well thinned. Mine are already the size of my palm and have at least another month before I pick them here.

4 Likes

Tried one after letting sit on counter for a couple days and it was excellent! So we picked a lot more today. Felt I have to pick a bit sooner to beat the bees. Look in left corner. Two big bees were inside eating away. They have done this to several. Literally my only issue with these 2nd year grafts on Bradford rootstock.

9 Likes

@PharmerDrewee are you harvesting KG yet? I got 3 fruit this year and I want to get to them before animals. I wonder if they are ready yet.
Anybody else picking KG in PA area? @growjimgrow?

3 Likes

Mine werenā€™t ready until the end of Sept/beginning of October last year. I havenā€™t checked on them to see if any are ready to fall off though. However, this year has been very hot so it wouldnā€™t surprise me if they were earlier like a lot of my figs.

3 Likes