Korean Giant Asian pear

Yes the two names are very similar, so that is possible, I have downloaded a document in Korean mentioning a Korean pear variety called ‘Cheongsilri’ aka ‘청실리’. So I feel confident that ‘Cheongsilri’ is the right name. Both links do show the name ‘Cheongsilri’, one of them shows both names.

You make me start to wonder how large is the fruit of Cheongsilri pear. Korean giant’ large size might be contributed from Cheongsilri pear as we all know Chojuro isn’t a large pear

1 Like

This is supposedly ‘청실리’ aka ‘Cheongsilri’ http://blog.daum.net/sanchooil/6038251

It does look large in the photo.

The Korean characters above and underneath the photos translates to ‘Cheongsilri’ (Hussili/habsilli?) of the Rosaceae plant family. At least that’s what google translate makes it seem like.

1 Like

That’s the Korean language, not Chinese, per someone who knows (not me). Hangul - Wikipedia.

1 Like

Thank you, for clearing that up, my error. I have fixed that.

I’ve had one disappointment after another in the yard lately. But I wanted to share some good news. Last year I planted a Korean Giant that grew about 6 inches during entire season, despite a nice dose of urea. I think it was bothered by pear psylla. I have been treating for pear psylla since last fall and this year my KG is looking lush and growing like crazy. So far it’s put on almost 2 feet of growth! And I didn’t even have a chance to give it any fertilizer this year. Now I think I don’t have to. It seems to do great by itself.
Always nice to see these little positives here and there. Makes you want to keep gardening.

8 Likes

Congrats. If anything, don’t push pears with urea in the spring. They will grow too fast and make them become susceptible to fire blight.

If you want to feed it, feed it with compost or balanced fertilizer like10 10 10.

3 Likes

Can they get fire blight even without blooms? I thought it spreads through blooms? This tree has no blooms.
I grafted piece of this tree on to my moonglow and that one has fruit this year. Funny how that works…

2 Likes

Usually blooms and any crack, wound are the easy entries.

2 Likes

Korean Giant is probably one of my better impulse buys. A couple years back, I saw one sitting in a pot on the sidewalk in Chinatown, and bought it up immediately. It continues to grow and produce with little care and few pests or disease.

6 Likes

I live in Lincoln and am getting started with grafting pears. Grafted several of the invasive species of Bradford Pear with Asian Pears. I planted a Chijoro pear this spring. I have lots of stone fruit trees. I’ll be looking for pear scions next spring. Where in Omaha are you?

2 Likes

2nd year Korean Giant graft on Bradford. I have about 20 and they are all baseball size and bigger. They feel very hard still. What am I waiting for regarding ripeness? Will they be softer? Less green? Looking for help in determining when to pick. Remainder I’m in zone 7b. KY/TN state line is 10 miles north.
Thanks all.

10 Likes

Those KG are huge! Mine are still pretty much golf ball size. I hope pears also go through a period of no-growth like peaches.

1 Like

Those are absolutely post-card perfect looking KG’s! No bug bites, deformities, blemishes, etc. Nicely done, Zack!

5 Likes

Hi there,
I am in zone 6 a. I pick my KG in Oct, mid to late Oct but it can be eaten as early as late Sept or early Oct.

They don’t get soften (which is a good thing) whenI let some hang to almos thanksgiving. The very ripe ones have soft texture and lack crunchiness.

I read somewhere that if you can shine a flashlight at an Asian pear at night, a ripe one will let light shine through.

I would not worry about KG. It has a long picking time. In your area, you can pick a couple in early Sept. If the seeds are brown, they are fine to eat. The very dark brown is ripe.

3 Likes

Thanks Kevin! I am pleasantly surprised. Thrilled in fact. Grafted these last April and not a single spray. Kind of just let them do their thing and Wow!

3 Likes

Thanks so much! Terrific information as usual from you @mamuang. You’re amazing. Just what I was looking for. I wonder since I am a zone south of you that your early September would be mid August for me? Ripeness wise?

2 Likes

I think you are about 2-3 weeks ahead of me.

KG has somewhat thick skin. If you have coddling moths, OFM or PC, they can attack the fruit. However, pears grows very fast. The expanding cells can crushed those eggs before they could hatch or do damage. Also, I’ve noticed that pears with worms inside don’t drop fruit prematurely like peaches or plums.

KG that has worms inside tends to mature faster (turn reddish brown instead of greenish brown). The fruit are mostly intact.

5 Likes

Went to check on the Korean Giants this morning and glad I did as this one had fallen to the ground. Can’t wait to try it later.

10 Likes

I’m eating a KG right now. Delicious.

4 Likes