Land for sale im eyeing

hey folks. i came across a substantial amount of land for what i think is a decent price. its 76 acres on sloping ground with a cedar swamp at the bottom. they mostly clear cut it then took a dozer and pushed all the branches and debris into piles and burned it so its very open and plantable. they have a fairly new camper and portable green house up near the road on top of the rise so its looking over the cleared land. the slopes facing east so should get good snow cover and some protection from cold winds. they are asking $70,000, its about 15 mi. from a small town of 900 and 20 mi. from a town of 4000. its surrounded by commercial forest so its very remote yet the dirt road into it is well maintained by the logging companies. never bought land but does this sounds like a good deal to you? ive hunted around this land and always thought it would make a nice well draining orchard. if i buy it i would build a permanent cabin on the top of the hill. my wife thinks its too expensive but they arent making anymore land and less than a grand a acre nowadays isnt unreasonable. meeting the owner at 530 tonight. to look it over.

11 Likes

@steveb4

Where does your water come from and how much is there? It does sound like a good deal. What is the annual rainfall? How cold are winters? Nothing is a deal breaker, but there are negotiation points. What state is in? My guess is this is in Maine.

5 Likes

I bought some similar land a few years ago. Also just under $7,000 an acre but only on 14 acres. I don’t regret it, but it’s a 50 minute drive to get there. Not so bad one way, but driving there to plant some trees then driving home gets a little old. Also, carrying shovels and such to the top of the hill wears me out more than I thought it would. If you plant trees, go overboard protecting them from deer and rabbits. Plantskyyd will probably not be enough, especially if you are only checking in every month or so. 76 acres would be awesome. We are planning on doing a cabin also. Going through the well and septic process right now.

1 Like

northern maine ,z4 , 33in. rain annually. there is some standing water at the bottom of the slope. i dont think this has ever been farland so im sure its shitty clay like i have here but its a 10min. drive from here and i can amend with lots of manure and wood chips to build the soil over time. it would be a problem protecting from animals as the are lots of bear and moose in that area and a few deer. pocupines galore. it would take some work to protect but wouldnt be accessible for nearly 6 months of the year unless i go in on snowmobile from the main road.

3 Likes

$1000 per acre for cleared land doesn’t sound bad to me for a remote place. Not sure about local laws, but you should check if the price includes all rights underground, as well as any easements that exist. Electric/internet is a must these days too.

5 Likes

How far away from home is it? Our land is 13 miles away, and that is plenty far. Factor in gasoline and drive time. Are there stumps to contend with? Have you savings or will you need to pay interest on a mortgage? Is your job fairly secure? What do you intend to do with an orchard full of fruit once it produces? Remember the cost of deer and rabbit protection, a major cost. And cost of a well. It will occupy much of your time. Is that what you and your family want? I am not familiar with land costs in your area, but the price doesn’t sound bad. Land is a decent investment. Our IRAs seem to be evaporating away! Peace in a marriage is priceless, of course.

2 Likes

Sounds too good to be true! Clark asked the most important ?
Water rights, can you get a well permit?
Any useful stream nearby on land? Can you use it?
Know these before offer!
Dennis
Kent, wa

4 Likes

no electric and probably impossible to put in. would probably install solar once i put the cabin in. cell service shouldnt be too bad as its on a hill and town isnt real far away. ill check it tonight when im there. ill post pics after i get back. basically want a place if need be could survive if the worst happens. want to make it as self sustaining as possible, there may be a brook feeding the swamp at the bottom. ill ask the owner.

5 Likes

sorry i typed that wrong, asking $70000.

1 Like

Sounds like an off-grid, cold, oasis, If that’s what you’re looking for.

I would also think about opportunity cost. If you’re moving substantially away from home, an opportunity cost would be moving to warmer places that might open up potential for additional fruit tree cultivars/types.

5 Likes

the slope brings the elevation up i bet 3-400ft from the bottom so less cold as you go up.

That’s true for cold mornings mornings where there are temperature inversions as the cold air sinks.

400ft elevation increase would decrease min winter temps by 2 F degrees (like when a cold front comes and humidity changes)

2 Likes

We have a well at our land that runs by a gas generator. No pressure tank, so no freezing issues, but can’t just turn it on and off at will. A bit of a pain to start up, but sufficient. You will probably also need a driving lane through the orchard area, so would need some truckloads of gravel at least in the lower areas. At least it doesn’t sound like ag herbicidal drift would be a problem there.

1 Like

@steveb4

It does sound like a reasonable price. Try to negotiate well based on the facts you know. The swampy part could be turned into a pond to catch water for the fruit trees. Be careful with debt nowadays since times are uncertain.

2 Likes

Under a grand an acre for land with some potential seems worth consideration to me

3 Likes

You can get Starlink for internet, current cost about $110/month.

Water is a sticking point, do due diligence to ensure a well is feasible.

Solar power for electric service at a cabin is very easily doable. Design the cabin for solar up front!

Cost to build even a small cabin is going to be high. Work on ways to bring cost down.

I highly suggest planting native timber trees on most of the land so they can grow to eventually provide a harvest. Reserve 10 or 20 acres of the best land for your orchard/vineyard/garden.

The price is just a tad high IMO for land that has been clearcut. Talk with the owner to see if they will go a bit lower.

Other than that, I (and others here) can give solid advice on putting in a well for water, building an offgrid solar setup, and getting set up with internet service so phones and computers will work.

4 Likes

my son is moving back up here in about a year and likes the idea of a farm but farm land isnt available lately. this could work if he wants to put his back into it. he has a substantial savings he could use if he wants to live there. has good carpentry skills as well as do both my brothers.

3 Likes

i would plant some red oak and yellow birch. both grow quickly and produce fine firewood and bring a good price for woodworking. on decent land they could be harvested in as little as 20 yrs. Norway spruce is also a quick grower and is good framing wood.

2 Likes

@steveb4

Taxes are worth asking about. Make sure you are soul owner on all mineral, timber etc. rights.

4 Likes

its a woman that owns it. i get the feeling she profited off the wood, now she just wants to get rid of the land. ill go talk to the bank and see what they have to say as well .

2 Likes