Land for sale im eyeing

its a 10-15min. drive from here.

1 Like

I don’t know anything about prices in that area but I don’t see how you can go wrong at that price.

We look at land and farms from time to time and have noticed that very little land is for sale at all and the little bit that is for sale normally sells for a lot more then we expected.

Would a big timber cut on a local property impact your comfort or well being?

Vacation house or residence?

Echo the replies so far. Seems like a reasonable price relative to around here. My property is 3 hours south which makes maintenance very difficult. I have to haul water in to be able to spray, etc. Maybe put in a storage shed to store tools and collect rainwater and rough camping as a starting point.

1 Like

I think you have a solid list of items to inquire about.

1. Will the bank finance it? Consider asking the bank to finance the cabin at the same time.
  2. How much are yearly taxes?
  3. Is a well viable for water? Estimated cost to drill a well and install a pump is in the range of $10,000.
  4. Are mineral/water rights included?
  5. Is cell service viable?
  6. Do some research to figure out how much a cabin will cost. Estimated cost is in the $50,000 range.
  7. A storage shed will be required, maybe figure out where to locate and how big to make it.
  8. Above all, check your finances to ensure you can afford it.
2 Likes

@blueberrythrill

Land can be variable in price in Maine. Some is $500 an acre or some is $50,000 Land for Sale, Property for Sale in Maine - Land.com or Acadia, ME Land for Sale| LandWatch .Here is an example of very inexpensive Whiting, Washington County, ME Undeveloped Land for sale Property ID: 416239082 | LandWatch

1 Like

no its surrounded by commercial forest owned by Irving ltd. it gets harvested every 20yrs or so so it will always be changing. there are a few other off gridders that live up behind the hill im on. ill inquire about them as well. mostly vacation and times of emergency, a residence , unless my son wants to permanently live there which he might.

1 Like

Washinton county has cheap land but about 60% is bog or very rocky useless land. along the rocky coast its rock mixed with sand. only thing they grow there is blueberries. plus its 4hrs. from me.

1 Like

about where is this? the coastal area is really expensive (acadia is one of the most beautiful places i’ve ever been). The “great north” is beautiful, say jackman but would be hard to manage an orchard (very cold). The interior i would think would be somewhat lower cost, a lot of northern marginal farm country.

1 Like

we are at the northern tip of Maine on the Canadian border. i can see Canada from my living room. this land is about 4 miles south of the St. John River which is the border of the U.S and Canada.

2 Likes

$1,000 and acre is about the going price for land far out of the city everywhere. Some more, some less, but it’s a bulk sale and should be less. There is most likely very few people interested in it because it is far away and has no structures. I would make an offer far less and see how they respond.

It may be a financial hit, but it is an investment. At a later point if you need money, you can break off a piece to sell. You can’t go wrong with land.

2 Likes

I would hire a professional inspector with experience in vacant land. I would not ask the owner about water etc. Make sure there is water. Also make sure that there will be a suitable septic leach field location. An inspector can determine this.

2 Likes

Steve, pre-covid I put an offer in Hancock County for around 750/acre for about 45 acres. Recently timbered too. I think we had just missed it for timing because someone else put a similar offer in and we didn’t get it.

It seems like most stuff is about double the price of a few years ago up there. I’d personally check zillow recently sold to compare to make sure you are getting a fair offer.

Considering opportunity cost, tax/maintenance, low liquidity, I would not consider buying land a great financial investment for most people.

1 Like

What occurs to me is that this is a major investment, and if you don’t go ahead and improve it, which would be another major investment (in time as well as money) you’re going to feel like you wasted your money or start looking for a buyer.

The hard part, it seems to me, is that if your wife is not fully on board with not just the purchase price but the commitment … but I don’t know how that might work out for you guys!

I have a friend who bought some acreage and put a lot of time and money into it, and his wife just isn’t interested. So he drives down once a week or so and looks after it alone. They can afford it and they spend a lot of time together otherwise, so it works for them, but is a lot of money that they may or may not get whole on again!

3 Likes

I’m not familiar with bears, moose and porcupines, but that could end up your biggest headache of all. The animals are probably my biggest issue at our land. Having to fortify everything with fencing and chicken wire is such pain. Gophers ruin a lot in my vegetables. Just bought a couple Gopherhawks, which I plan to try soon.

1 Like

ive been watching the land prices closely. this is the best deal on semi cleared land ive found close to me. it does have a brook going through it so it has water. dont need 70 acres but i could use a good part to grow firewood and timber, in a pinch i could sell a chunk. ill definitely give a much less offer.

3 Likes

I’m not saying it’s a bad deal and you don’t want to insult the seller with a low ball offer if it’s something you REALLY want, just to do your homework and keep things in perspective. It sounds like you already have.

I would say “no” to it. Just based on what you will have to put into it to make it something to actually use at a regular basis. I have had many friends do this type of thing and for the most part the $$$ exceeds their estimated prices and they dread all the driving. Just my thoughts.

3 Likes

How did the viewing go? Was it what you expected?

I have a friend that buys old farms, timbers them… and sells them for more than he paid for them as well as profiting from the timber. Old farms usually have arable land and infrastructure to live.

I have over 100 acres… and only use about 10. The rest is for nature and property taxes.

If it were me and i had $70K burning a hole in my pocket i would walk the properties of $70K comps with 10 or so acres of usable land that has been maintained…then go from there with a decision.

My property has a couple hundred years of cultivation from folks that had a whole lot more energy and time than i do. That makes things easier to grow and maintain for me now in my older years.

Just a thought.