LED light

Wondering if other people are using LED lights on indoor plants. My low budget method is to use the adjustable desk lamps. I also get some Sunshine, but only a few hours a day in December.

1 Like

I’m using some LEDs but they are more directional. That is the light is directed towards the plants. The ones like you picture will work if light needs are low. I am using four like that to fill in around an LED grow light.

2 Likes

I’m using the gooseneck adjustable desk lamps so the lights are aimed at the plants, about 30 inches away.

3 Likes

These are directional so might work better. Even cheaper on Ebay.
https://www.amazon.com/Spectrum-Lights-Hydroponics-Greenhouse-Organic/dp/B01L74WDPW/ref=sr_1_14?dchild=1&keywords=led+grow+light+bulb&pd_rd_r=0e543899-3d96-4615-94cb-4621c1d8f708&pd_rd_w=B3qSK&pd_rd_wg=K5VIR&pf_rd_p=0ec05f25-9534-48fe-9c3e-40b89957230e&pf_rd_r=VX0B2JGPT98231FKPB15&qid=1608755682&sr=8-14

2 Likes

I don’t shop Amazon.

3 Likes

I’ve been using the new GE LED grow bulbs and they are bright and don’t strain the eyes like the more purple looking ones. They make two sizes (9w and 30w), and two colors (“balanced” which is cool white and “flowering” which is more warm white). I’d recommend the 30w ones unless you will be putting the plants almost against the bulbs. I have four of them in a row over my avocado jungle, and one of the 40w tube lights over the smaller seedlings.

9w balanced:
https://www.gelighting.com/led-lights/bulbs/e26/grow-light-led-9w-balanced-light-spectrum-br30-light-bulb-1-pack

30w flowering:
https://www.gelighting.com/led-lights/bulbs/e26/grow-light-led-30w-advanced-red-light-spectrum-par38-light-bulb-1-pack-0

40w hanging tube fixture:
https://www.gelighting.com/led-lights/bulbs/grow-light-led-40w-advanced-red-light-spectrum-24in-integrated-fixture-1-pack

EDIT: here’s a photo of my LED lighting setup

7 Likes

Did I mention these lights are bright? This leaf got “sunburned” at about 8" from the light. It’s the same leaf you can see near the light on the top-right photo I posted earlier.

I’d say 12-24 inches is the safest distance for most plants if you use GE’s 30w directional bulbs.

1 Like

I use regular LED shop lights for starting spring veggies every year. raise and lower with chains.

2 Likes

LED is great for growing plants.I just read,the Corona virus gets eliminated,when exposed to their UV rays.

1 Like

Try the offerings at 1000bulbs. Lights in about every configuration you can imagine. Don’t overlook fluorescent light with the right spectrum if you happen to have a fixture lying around. T-5 fluorescent lights are very good if you are willing to spring for a fixture.

2 Likes

I’ve used these “full spectrum” bulbs—on fig cuttings, rosemary and pineapples, and for propagating tomatoes from seed in late winter. Worked quite well: everything was green, and I got healthy growth on the figs, tomatoes and even the pineapples. Seem to work best within 1’ or so of the plants—at least the ones I have do. The purplish light is rather harsh—so best used in a place you don’t spend a lot of time in.

I looked at the local wall Mart
They didn’t have any.

Wish I could find a local source
Actually I just did. But it’s a 16 Watt LED, not 30 Watt.
I added the lights I have right now
Have about 10,800 Lumens for an area
36 inches x 60 inches.

2 Likes

For LEDs, lumens are less important than photosynthetic photon flux (PPF), since LEDs emit light at very specific wavelengths and lumens could be ones that don’t help the plants much.

Unfortunately it’s hard to find that info for many lights other than actual grow bulbs. For example, here’s the box for one of the GE 30w bulbs I linked earlier:

1 Like

Cheers for not using amazon @Boizeau, I am also not a part of the race to the bottom. If you cant find any at a local nursery or grow store try ebay!

Thats the unusable yellow and green light burning the leaf surface there.

The real 680w Led grow lights can be 6" from plant leafs and not burn and still have good plant growth 4’ away.

LEDs for horticultural purposes are sold and rated in efficiency of joules per watt and a new t5 with good cool grow 5500 bulbs (better ppfd than a “full spectrum” t5) are 1.8j/w so you need to be better than that to outperform a t5.

2 Likes

I found a local source for LED grow lights .

As my CFL’s burn out they are getting replaced with standard screw in LED’s that are on $ale.

IMG_1901|690x920

I just got a Horticultural LED light today.
We’ll see how it goes.

1 Like