List of hybrid persimmon species available in USA

4 Likes

I didn’t see Universal on the list. Does anyone have it in the pipeline? Seems to me like it would be a useful variety for breeding efforts.

2 Likes

@jcguarneri

1 Like

Im guessing someone here has it. @tonyOmahaz5 , you haven’t managed to dig it up yet? @KYnuttrees seems to pop in here every now and again. Cliff? If not, it sounds like we should do something about that.

1 Like

There are a few people I’m aware of who have been working towards new cultivars arriving stateside. I’m confident it will get here if it’s worth getting.

4 Likes

I haven’t heard of any, either. That was also true of Dar Sofiyivki, Chuchupaka, and a few others at the time that was written. So it’s possible Universal has come in during that time.

4 Likes

I’m wondering if Universal is a synonym of Russian-named cultivar from the Nikita research center.

4 Likes

@Harbin or @Arhus76 , can you tell us any more about ‘Universal’. Does it have any aliases? How widely available is it over your way?

5 Likes

Il n’est pas disponible et n’est pas d’autres noms.
il est très vigoureux et est utilisé en Ukraine.
Il a été démontré que les hybrides produisaient plus de fruits si il y avait une pollinisation.

3 Likes

merci beaucoup

sounds like its main value is as a pollenizer then

2 Likes

From the description I linked above, it’s a pollinator that also fruits heavily. Smaller fruits, but good.

2 Likes

My transplanted JBT-06 died during this Spring drought at my new home. Dax JBT-06 also died from the drought but his friend still have a decent size tree. Hopefully next year we will get some scions and re-graft. I have about 30 seedling of 400-5 X D.V to transplant in the falls. These were crossed with large fruits D.V like Prok, H-118, and H-120. I am pretty sure I will get some great fruits and Z5 hardy out of these groups.

Tony

8 Likes

PLEASE Please remember us when it come to the JBT-06 when the time comes.

Its and excellent fruit and very worthy of growing it want planted in a bad spot and around it 4 large pecan trees died the same year from the drought and the low temps. with the loss of NB-21 Sestronka we have lost far too much of Jerry Lehman’s work and Legese.

7 Likes

Cliff I’m not sure when you’ll have JBT-06 available but I’d like to be on the list for it.

I’m sure if you need scion for Sestronka or any others, this group would be happy to share scion with you.

2 Likes

@KYnuttrees @tonyOmahaz5

Cliff & Tony
The drought is hitting us very bad in Kansas like it is you. One pond is down 10-12 feet. We had a similar drought in 2018. As the droughts here increase in frequency heavier mulching and frequent watering are becoming more important for my small trees. I’m a dry farmer and limited to how much of my crops i can water. Hopefully your conditions improve soon the persimmon preservation you are doing is very important. Tony i have rootstocks but it was to dry this year to make very late season grafts work. Early golden, h 118, a33 all did fine

2 Likes

Yes, It was a bad drought year for Us. All my transplanted persimmon and jujube trees hung on by the thread. I tried to watering them as much as I could. Fingers crossed for them to wake up next spring. @clarkinks

Tony

4 Likes

Mei Zi came from me , it is Roseyanka OP back to Claypool males , it grows short and wide if terminal twig is cut back , wider than tall , has medium large fruit , viable seed, Heavy fruit loads every year, very fat twigs, but ripens very very late, so far no winter damage in Terre Haute IN

12 Likes

David,

Do you have any photos of the tree and fruits.

Thanks,

Tony

You were told wrong I’m afraid.

@candyflipper
Please provide more details. I will update the list if necessary.

1 Like