List of hybrid persimmon species available in USA

not yet sir, yep.

1 Like

TREES and Scion wood List 2022 DEC Farms 1, 2 and 3 UPDATE.pdf (1.3 MB)

England’s Latest Update: 2.14.2023

2 Likes

Diospyros (x) Hunter Dream; England’s Orchard and Nursery, McKee KY. Cliff D England

Persimmon x'Hunter Dream'  PCA-Type (England's Orchard & Nursery)

Diospyros Gwang Yang x Rossey PCNA-type; England’s Orchard and Nursery, McKee KY. Cliff D England

Gwang Yang x Rosseymale PCNA-hybrid England Cliff 001

4 Likes

Does this mean Cliff has a hybrid PCNA or am I misreading?

1 Like

Sounds nice. How many seeds? Are they firm enough to fall from the tree?

1 Like

The tree with decent fruit usually has 5 or 6 seed and the fruit fall from the tree a couple of weeks later than most in the area.

Hi Richard, regrettably, please edit:
Tree 10 Row 10 Gwang Yang x Rossey (F) as PCA

Cliff does have a hybrid PCNA but it’s not that and -6 F may have killed it this year is all I know at this place in time.

4 Likes

V. Derevyanko Female
cliff’s catalogue

V. Derevyanko Female 2017 2 tree

Maybe it isn’t a hybrid? I haven’t researched.

2 Likes

Thank you Dax for setting the record straight.

I know that in my quest for truth I often end up as Joe Buzzkill here. But of course, there was never any chance that a cross of PCNA x Rossey had produced PCNA offspring.

And for it’s part, V Dervanko may be PCNA or it may be hybrid, but it cannot be both. My understanding is that the Ukraine program produced numerous Kaki x Kaki crosses. So there may be some PCNA offspring from PCNA x PCNA crosses. Most likely, that’s what V. Dervanko is. And there’s also a remote chance that it’s a PCNA offspring of a PCNA x PCA cross. But whatever it is, it is certainly the result of an intraspecific Kaki x Kaki cross, not an interspecific Kaki x Virginiana cross.

Maybe we should take a pause and ask ourselves how these misunderstandings happen. For example, in our enthusiasm and wishful thinking, do we jump abruptly to unwarranted conclusions? Do we sometimes shoot first, then ask questions later?

1 Like

No, but some people are very good at shooting the messenger! More seriously, there will be errors in the various listings for persimmons. When pecans were DNA tested, several were found to be different crosses than had been advertised. Creek and Caddo come to mind. By the same token, a few that had been suspected of being mis-identified were proven to have been the exact cross stated in the literature. Forkert is an example which was stated to be a cross of Success X Schley. There are still websites that cast doubt on this because controlled pollination was not thought to be possible at the time. DNA testing proved Forkert is exactly what it was stated to be by the man who made the cross.

2 Likes

I look forward to re-evaluating them.

1 Like

Questioning the message is not shooting the messenger. Healthy skepticism is not violence or insult. Hopefully it saves the community time and effort chasing unicorns.

1 Like

In a calm tone here, I don’t know who the messenger is if it’s me, Cliff, or Jesus Christ himself. I have been given contradictory information (it’s not Cliff’s fault), he’s had a stroke among many things that concern him. I am a bridge to the phone growingruit.org to England’s Orchard and Nursery telephone or email.

I’m a lover not a fighter. These things take time. You all might be ‘lucky’ to have me on board because I keep my composure.

Dax

7 Likes

Thank you for that Dax. I’m confident that nobody working on this effort is intentionally leading the group astray. Nobody is perfect and we are all working towards the same mutually beneficial goal at the end of the day.

3 Likes

Please allow me to open your ears.

When I called I said, ‘Row 10 Tree 10’ Gwang Yang x Rossey (F)

“oh yeah, that’st he PCNA-hybrid Dax”

‘thanks cliff’ “later”

“Dax”

later on he opens up to me that since his strokke, his ability to understand math doesn’t work anymore.

now, I have to pay more attention to what is asked and not push things GOD DAMMIT.

DAX

1 Like

“Unicorn” is the stupidst word on earth.,
It remindds me of my little po ny from the 70’s

Now I’ve regained my composure.

Do you see how it works @jrd51

Rhetorically, one of the last times I got mad enough to swear and shake cause I’m so mad is because I had to say “godd dammit” because my closest friend Dennis Dodge from Bethlehem Nursery died at about age 63. I learned to graft via email with few pictures but mostly words. It really shook me.

I’m letting people know that I hold stuff and I eventuall " god dammit " get mad.

I’m a normal human being like everyone else.

DAX

4 Likes

We all represent personalities and people who have ups and downs and sometimes a few normal days. Some people put their “composure” in a box in the closet.

JRD51, the comment about shooting the messenger was generic and meant to encourage being tolerant of others. It is advice I need often.

5 Likes

Your indispensable to the community here, Dax. Thank you for all your hard work, and sharing your knowledge and time.

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s fine. I didn’t take it personally. And I agree that we should all be able to question critically without repercussion. Anyway, you’ll never find me ghosting any other member, which is as close to “shooting the messenger” as it gets around here.