List of hybrid persimmon species available in USA

Dax, have you collected from D. Compton’s farm or will you visit this year?

1 Like

I think it is just regular Nakita’s Gift.
That’s how it was written on the scions I received.

2 Likes

No, I’m not leaving my house. I’m done vacationing until this breeding is over.

I’ll live on the forum.

Dax

4 Likes

@Bestseed , @JCW
Do either of you have a list of the hybrid persimmons in your trials with their bloom season, and/or harvest season?

sorry no info, Actually i have spent 20 years on another scientific endeavor related to persimmon and although i do grow hybrids and next generation seedlings that is just a sideline and aid to my main interest.

2 Likes

Here’s tonight’s update. I’ve restructured the parentage section and still have formulas to enter.

Please see the last PDF update below.

2 Likes

Kassandra is Great Wall (Kaki) x Rosseyanka 2.

All evidence suggests that it is PCA.

This list includes JT-06, which would appear to be a sibling of JT-02 (both Josephine x Taishu). I’ve never heard of it before and can’t find any reference on this forum. I also don’t see it on Cliff’s list of available scions.

Are we sure that it exists?

I am aware of JBT-06, which has JT-02 as a parent x Rosseyanka male. Could there be a confusion?

I’ll keep notes on this information this year and get back with you.
NGxThor seems to be a male that fruits.
Fruit was picked October 14 to thwart off bird damage. Anything else would be speculation.

3 Likes

How low was your temperature
that the Nikita #4 has been exposed to so far. Cliff said at -16F at his orchard. @JCW

Tony

3 Likes

Different than Nakita#4 I think.
NG instead of Rosseyanka x Thor.
-14f so far

2 Likes

In my record-keeping I’ve come to realize their are two groups of D. virginiana (tetraploid and hexaploid) plus hybrids between them. In the future the hexaploid and tetraploid are likely to be designated as separate species – as is the case with mulberries. Regardless, from a breeding standpoint it is an error (for me) to lump them all into one species category. I will be separating them later on today. The ploidy issue might also exist with D. kaki.

2 Likes

Yes! There are nonaploid kaki. Some were found “naturally” and some intentionally bred as such.

4 Likes

@PharmerDrewee
Ok, so perhaps the so-called seedless Fuyu and Jiro resulted from cross-ploidy breeding of D. kaki?

1 Like

I’m not sure about these seedless “Fuyu” or “Jiro.” Here is a variety that was bred to be nonaploid and seedless. I would imagine it could become seeded if a nonaploid male came about if such a thing exists.

You can google translate it as I did. It’s called Akiou and another way of writing it is 秋王。Phonetically as あきおう from what I gather. Maybe you can find a publication on what methods they used, but a quick google search didn’t yield anything for me. It’s claimed to be the first seedless PCNA variety.

EDIT: Here we go.
https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/jjshs1/77/4/77_4_358/_pdf

https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/hrj/12/3/12_263/_pdf/-char/ja

Possible mechanisms

4 Likes

I’ve heard of seedless D. virginiana cultivars. I think it was assumed they were 60 chromosome trees growing in 90 chromosome territories and vice versa. What if they’re in reality nonaploid or whatever other ploids?

Thank you for the references. However, those “seedless” hexaploids are the ones I’m concerned about, not the seedless nonaploids. Perhaps Google scholar will turn up documentation of the original breeding of Fuyu or Jiro.

1 Like

They were produced with chemical treatment of fertilized D.v. ova by David Lavergne.

3 Likes

These were chance seedlings from what I’ve read. Search 富有原木 and 次郎原木 respectively for Japanese accounts. The ortets still live. Both should be seeded with ordinary pollenizers present though.

2 Likes

Perhaps chemical sprays of the young fruitlets or flowers is used like how seedless Kyoho and Bione grapes are produced in Japan.

1 Like