Look how pretty this new red Asian pear variety is

Yeah!!! Go, Sophia. I wonder if it needs cross pollination and with what varieties?

4 Likes

I am ecstatic that the one bud Red Asian pear scion from @Sophia2017 took. Just have to wait for a couple of years for a taste test. Loved that red leaf.

11 Likes

It looks very exciting!

1 Like

Did you take anymore pictures of the blooms?

1 Like

Nope.
The small fruits were dropped.

2 Likes

It looks like itā€™s this pear. Unique and beautiful Asian Pear Early Crisp Red Pyrus | Etsy

2 Likes

Looks like it. But not sure if the seeds will be true to the parent?

1 Like

I was thinking the same.

1 Like

5 seeds for $32 before shipping and handling!!! And I was complaining about jujube trees being expensive.

3 Likes

Plus this will not guarantee the seeds will growth up looks like the parent. I think peach seed will be real close to the parent but pear needs crossed pollination so it has half of the red Asian pear. Only the scion is identical when grafting.

2 Likes

I was posting that link mostly so you would know the name of it.

2 Likes

I hope it turn out the best tasting pear, if so, if so than everyone in the world wants one or more.
I feel so bad not being able to get mine. Got an apple that looks like it, nobody wants it. Too many looks the same.

2 Likes

I got this scion at a swap last year. It was labeled Zao Su Liā€¦ I assumed it would be the green pear I find online when I search the name, but this year itā€™s flowers look like this. Any chance this is the red version? Iā€™d be very excited if it was! Would the green version also have pink flowers?

@tonyOmahaz5

12 Likes

I stop hunting for fruits by none reputable source/pictures/description. So called rare fruits may be photoshoped into perfect shape or color. Maybe one out of whole treeful of fruits looks like or close like the one in the picture. I will be happily let some one else to waste time and money.

3 Likes

Fair enoughā€¦ and thanks for the input. Iā€™m new to this so the wisdom of experience is welcome. In this case I wasnā€™t really searching for something rare. I just wanted to practice my grafting and had a Bartlett tree that I didnā€™t really care about so I grabbed 6 Asian pear scions at random from my local scion exchange and grafted them. I didnā€™t think much more about it until I saw the red flower buds this year and searched for the variety on the forumā€¦ and I came across this thread. It may be more common than I realized as I donā€™t have much experience growing pears, but I hadnā€™t seen pink/red pear flowers before, so I thought it was worth a little research

2 Likes

The pear you grafted is actually interesting and pretty. Pears with red flowers or red fleshed are not common.

@PharmerDrewee has mentioned red and green Zao Su Li pears (and gave me the green Zao Su Li scion). You may get the real red Zao Su Li. That is exciting.

Andrew may know more about this variety. Hopefully he will chime in.

4 Likes

Its fabulous!

2 Likes

Can you find out the name? Thatā€™s a beautiful fruit for sure!

1 Like

The variety was labeled Zao Su Li which seems to be a commercially available variety (Asian Pear, 'Zao Su Li' ā€“ Cricket Hill Garden)

But the red flowers have me thinking that maybe thereā€™s a chance itā€™s the red version by the same name that @tonyOmahaz5 and @Sophia2017 had talked about grafting earlier in this thread. Iā€™ll update the photo when the flowers open up.

4 Likes

I think that you have the red Zao Su Liļ¼Œ written as ē“…ę—©é…„ę¢Ø in Chinese @Philbert Congrats! This is very exciting to see the red color variant. You can find more information on google with its name written in Chinese then using google translate. The parentage of the original green form is also interesting, perhaps descended from a pear imported from Japan that we may already be familiar with.

I think the flesh will be white in color though from pictures Iā€™ve seen online. Iā€™m grafting the green one this year because Iā€™m not sure what happened to it.

5 Likes