Look how pretty this new red Asian pear variety is

Is it for sale anywhere? It’s a beautiful fruit!

2 Likes

Philbert,
Can we line up to buy its scionwood from you next year, please?

I am serious.

7 Likes

What’s the flavor difference among colors?

2 Likes

Awesome!- Thanks for your input @PharmerDrewee. That’s very exciting to hear! I’ll update here as the flowers develop and we’ll see what happens. Thanks for sharing the Chinese spelling- I’ll research using google translate as you suggest.

1 Like

@mamuang - it’s a tiny branch. My jobs for this year are to 1) keep it alive and healthy and 2) try to get some vigorous growth so there is some wood to share.

I’m trying to decide if I should let a pear develop if they don’t all drop… I’d like to confirm ID on the variety, but I fear it will stunt any vigorous vegetative growth from the graft. Thoughts?

To answer your question, I would love to share some scion wood next year if it turns out to really be the red Zao Su Li! I would never take any $ for it though. I have gained so much knowledge from this community, and am perpetually amazed at the willingness of folks here to take the time to share their knowledge. It would be an honor to have something of value to share back. You’re the first one on the list if it all works out!

5 Likes

Phibert,
Although I would love to see the fruit, I would not let it fruit. The grafted scionwood is too small. After the blooms open, you can take as many pics and show us. Then, remove all the potential fruit.

Good things come to those who wait. And wait, we will.

4 Likes

Mamuang,

Sounds good, thanks for the advice… that’s what I’ll do :+1:

2 Likes

Possible Red Zao Su Li flowers getting ready to open

9 Likes

One of the growers I know has this pear, I should receive some scionwood in the winter. The actual tree:

This is another pear that I just planted, Asian/Euro hybrid (I got another hybrid but that one doesn’t have such a striking red foliage).

16 Likes

Beautiful. Hope the pear is as good as the foliage looks.

3 Likes

Beautiful!

1 Like

Yes, the green one has this pinkish buds but the full flowers are still white. I have several fruits developed from the scion that I got from ARIS (?) last year. It’s a commercial pear that was developed in the 60s in China. It’s said the mother tree was a Japanese one but the father was likely a no name local pear.

3 Likes

I expect red pears to gain in popularity more every year. They are visually appealing.

2 Likes

I can’t wait to see your red pear fruits. Very pretty leaves .

2 Likes

Yes! The flower buds and even leaves looked quite red when they first emerged but gradually became lighter pink… matches your description for the green Zao Su Li. Thanks for your description… it helps temper by excitement😄

2 Likes

I got 3 beautiful zao Su li fruitlets but I found all were damaged by PC this morning. I am not sure if they will be able to survive the bites.

3 Likes

Pears often survive PC bites. However, I usually don’t leave more than two pears per cluster. You can wait a bit more any will turn yellow and fall off.

They are still on a small side but you could use plastic ziplock bag to bag them (look up bagging apples for idea if you have not bag fruit before)

2 Likes

Thanks! It’s the first time I saw PC bites on pears. Usually I saw tons of these on my nectarines and peaches.

I bagged my peaches and pears last year but peaches were still damaged so I started spray this year. So far no signs of PC bites on peaches.

2 Likes

Timing is everything. Timing spray correctly is as important as using right spray for right pests.

By the time peaches are large enough to bag, you need to spray them at least twice both insecticide and fungicide.

4 Likes

Even my mume apricots (or plums) were hit by PC bites. I will see how it goes with this kind of fruit. The sprayed nectarines and peaches so far stay free from PC bites.

1 Like