Looking for Carmine Goumi

I’d love to know when/if you are selling scion of that ‘Pippi’ variety. I am not in the area to buy in person, and did get some to graft onto.

1 Like

I enjoyed reading about your Pippi cultivar and its production. I’d love to hear more about how you use the pulp as you do further experimentation.

I think I reached the production point last year, that I couldn’t keep up with them. The heat wave finished them off prematurely too, and my daughter wasn’t helping me eat them last summer.

But in the future, yields will get such that processing some could be in the cards

Have you measured brix? I’m wondering if “sweeter” means more sugar, or maybe less acid.

1 Like

Thanks! Getting a refractometer to measure brix has been on my to do list. I think soon I’ll have too many reasons to get one to procrastinate any longer.

Last year we used goumi pulp to make pie and it was very good and somewhat similar to the favor of cherry pie. I also used some to make ice cream which was good. At some point I filled a mason jar with pulp mixed with an unmeasured quantity of honey and let it sit a year before straining off the fermented liquid. The resulting alcohol was tasty and mostly clear with no red color as the red pigment appears to be firmly connected to the solids in the pulp and does not bleed into the liquid at all. Also, none of the astringent portion seems to get into the liquid when separated from the solids.

For pie and ice cream did you only used the colored portion?

For pie and ice cream I used the full pulp without separating the solids and the liquids. Like many fruit based pies, starch is required as a thickener or else it will be runny.

Went to your website again and you indicate you will sell some rooted cuttings in the fall. have you sold out? I would like to order two if possible.

There is a wait list for rooted ‘Pippi’. I am not preselling any, but when ready will give option to purchase in order of when people got on the list. Said list is already quite long compared to the number which will be available this year. There will be more next year though and I’ll continue working my way through the wait list. Over winter some scion will be available for grafting. In the near future Planting Justice will probably begin selling ‘Pippi’ as well cause I sent them about 10 feet of cuttings for propagation earlier this year.

2 Likes

I too am looking for a rooted carmine goumi if anyone knows where to get them?

1 Like

Try Whitman Farms in Salem Oregon. They call them Tillamook which is the same as Carmine.

1 Like

A year too late, but if you lived where you could drive to Portland, Oregon, Portland Nursery has on the 2023 list the Tillamook Goumi to be in stock. They have quality products, but no shipping.

1 Like

Portland Nursery has them in large pots. You would need to travel there to pick up.

Burnt Ridge had 4 inch pots of Carmine Goumi in stock last week and is now selling gallon sized Carmine Goumi on their website. I just ordered 2 gallon sized carmine goumi plants last night. they will be my first goumi plants. I’m also on @JohannsGarden 's waitlist for rooted pippi goumi.

2 Likes

Well that didn’t work. I ordered 2 of the gallon size on 3/29. received a confirmation on 4/3 with invoice, and a cancelation and notice they were all out on 4/4. Hoping I can still get my hands on rooted Carmine somewhere but it is very difficult to find. I hear rooting scionwood isn’t easy, but maybe I’ll order some and give it a shot.

1 Like

I got some carmine cuttings via trade… grafted 3 to my red gem and sweet scarlet. All are looking good.

The person that sent me the wood sent pics of the fruit… they looked to be 2-3x larger than RG or SS.

Not sure if i will get fruit this year from these grafts but should next.

5 Likes

I see you propagated Pippi which is bigger. Is it tastier or taste same as Carmine? When I was at the Portland Nursery in 2019, fall time prior to Covid, I saw a berry on one plant that was larger than the other goumi plant and tasted it. I swear it must have had vitamins I needed because my body just felt better. To see if this was my imaginination I tasted another and same temporary feeling. I have wanted one ever since like that! If Pippi is just as good as the one I got there, I would be interested in knowing if it could possibly be grown in a pot on the patio.

Last question is, since I live in Vancouver, WA, in Clark County, do you have any nurseries closer to me so not dealing with shipping or driving there?

How are your grafts doing?

1 Like

In my experience ‘Carmine’ and ‘Pippi’ are both very worthwhile to grow. To me ‘Carmine’ tastes a little sweeter, but ‘Pippi’ is a little larger. Both are large enough, productive enough and tasty enough to deserve a place in the garden. I imagine you could get some fruit production if grown in a large container, but nothing near the bumper crops you could get from a mature bush growing in ground.

1 Like

@David_DeafGardening … all 3 goumi grafts are doing exceptionally well… over a foot of growth on several shoots on each. 2 of the 3 produced blossoms and have fruit on now.

Below a comparison of sweet scarlet (red ripe) and carmine goumi… still green.

4 Likes

I hadn’t realized how much bigger Carmine was. Ive not even heard of Pippi until now. I’ve had Sweet Scarlet for 15 years. It’s pretty good, but doubling the size would seem like a big improvement.

As I mentioned on the other goumi thread, I often wonder about the prospects of a goumi x autumn olive cross. Someone mentioned these being available, though I’m unaware of them if they are. Anyone thinking about or working on such a cross? Anyone know if this is a viable cross? I’d think if it were simple, someone would have seen such a creation pop up in a fencerow somewhere.

1 Like

I am hoping to attempt a different goumi hybrid cross between goumi and the evergreen, fall flowering Elaeagnus pungens. I just need to manipulate bloom times with the greenhouse before I can try.

4 Likes